My CSM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost speechless, your mill is amazing.

How do you plan on coupling the Yanmar to a bar and chain set up?

I think I'd build a bandmill like gene's in the small bandsaw mill thread. The engine is air cooled, no heavier than a 10 or 12 horse honda, or briggs engine, I can pick it up myself.
Be nice to make the setup similar. If I turned my own bandsaw wheels, or get replacements for those 14" bandsaws around, and made that carriage simple, so I can take the engine off, and move it by hand as well.
Basically just like my CSM, but with a small bandsaw, probably set lower to the ground, use the same cable/drill drive system, and splurge the $80 and get new BCIs.
I think about the stuff I have around, and other than those things, shouldnt need a lot for materials. Just gettin through all the projects in front of it.
Haddnt ran the mill for a while, I dont miss the sound of that 090 (it was fun at first).
And the diesel isnt even as bad as a briggs running full on, just that diesel thump, thump, thump.

I think I'd build a bandmill like gene's in the small bandsaw mill thread. The engine is air cooled, no heavier than a 10 or 12 horse honda, or briggs engine, I can pick it up myself.
Be nice to make the setup similar. If I turned my own bandsaw wheels, or get replacements for those 14" bandsaws around, and made that carriage simple, so I can take the engine off, and move it by hand as well.
Basically just like my CSM, but with a small bandsaw, probably set lower to the ground, use the same cable/drill drive system, and splurge the $80 and get new BCIs.
I think about the stuff I have around, and other than those things, shouldnt need a lot for materials. Just gettin through all the projects in front of it.
Haddnt ran the mill for a while, I dont miss the sound of that 090 (it was fun at first).
And the diesel isnt even as bad as a briggs running full on, just that diesel thump, thump, thump.

That diesel sounds like a great idea. Lots of torque and not much noise. Please post pictures when you decide to begin the build.

jerry-

Have an idea. I'm thinking about a setup combining gene's small BS mill, and my CSM. Make the rail system in such a way as to be able to set the rails at either 24" wide, or 36" wide. I'd make a wider carriage for the 090, and a carriage like genes.
Use the 090 to block out the log, then use the bandmill to saw boards.
That would have the advantage of getting rid of the bark, and square the log, leaving clean cutting for a BS band to last longer (I'd suppose what mostly dulls, or ruins bandsaw bands is rocks and debris in the bark).
I'd set it up so I could change over my winch drive to either carriage.

Have an idea. I'm thinking about a setup combining gene's small BS mill, and my CSM. Make the rail system in such a way as to be able to set the rails at either 24" wide, or 36" wide. I'd make a wider carriage for the 090, and a carriage like genes.
Use the 090 to block out the log, then use the bandmill to saw boards.
That would have the advantage of getting rid of the bark, and square the log, leaving clean cutting for a BS band to last longer (I'd suppose what mostly dulls, or ruins bandsaw bands is rocks and debris in the bark).
I'd set it up so I could change over my winch drive to either carriage.

If you can set the carriage up to use the BS and CSM that would be a great time saver and it would keep the accuracy of the cuts once the log is setup. Your idea sounds like a great idea. I wish I had the room to setup a carriage system that I could leave setup, I just don't have that luxury.

jerry-

If you can set the carriage up to use the BS and CSM that would be a great time saver and it would keep the accuracy of the cuts once the log is setup. Your idea sounds like a great idea. I wish I had the room to setup a carriage system that I could leave setup, I just don't have that luxury.

jerry-

If the carriage was long enough you could have your csm on one end. On the other end you could have a bandsaw mill. That sounds promising.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I think I mentioned it before, but notice how the BCIs dont hold the log, just the carriage. BCIs come in up to 40' lengths.

I have some old small gauge train rail I'm wanting to use. I have a 4-20 foot lengths and a couple 10 foot lengths. It needs to be beefed up because its not to strong. I think it would flex if it not supported by something along it's length. I'm actually wanting to build something totally modular. I figure I could load my truck with the mill and the Trailer with the wood. I haven't figured out a roller wheel that will fit my needs yet.

I have some old small gauge train rail I'm wanting to use. I have a 4-20 foot lengths and a couple 10 foot lengths. It needs to be beefed up because its not to strong. I think it would flex if it not supported by something along it's length. I'm actually wanting to build something totally modular. I figure I could load my truck with the mill and the Trailer with the wood. I haven't figured out a roller wheel that will fit my needs yet.
I think they would work well if you use them like I do the BCI joists.
Picture 4 2"x4" (or whatever size) box tube steel pieces about 3 or 4 feet long laying flat on the ground,parallel, spread 5 feet apart. They would have leveling screws made of 3/4" allthread, with feet, so you could level all four. The two in the middle would each have two small bottle jacks attached, with points welded to the screw tops (or just cut off the flat parts, and sharpen the screws) these would be your log dogs for leveling the log, and would hold all the weight of the log.
Your rail would attach to brackets at the ends of these (or just bolt on), which would bind the whole system together, and carry the carriage. You could basically set the system up around a log on the ground kinda like the lucas mill is set up.
Ideally you could break it down after milling, and put it away, might take two guys to load the carriage (unless ya have a hoist on yer pickup like I do)
I'm mostly going with the BCIs because I already have a good flatbed trailer, and dont want to spend the money for all the steel for a rail system, when I've found the BCI's are plenty straight enough for rails. Mine do sway a bit, but just side to side, and dont affect the level of the cut. I think I'd put some cross bracing in for a heavier bandmill.
Oh, for rollers you might look at the rollers used for those sliding chain link fence gates, I think they roll on 2" tubing, might be close enough, and would be available at the local building supply.

I hadn't thought about the all thread. That would work. I was think about wooden sleepers along the length of the track. I think the all thread would work better. The track is maybe 2inches wide at the bottom and three inches tall and it's shaped like train track.

I wonder if there's a way to use the BCI's like the Lucas mill does. I could put my Train track on them and crank them up. I have a bunch of unistrut That I could put all thread in and do something Like BobL did in his BBBB mill.

A while back I was wondering if a mill was designed like a boat lift if it would work. I'm always tearing them down and I have a bunch of pulleys and angle Iron. They work kinda in the same way as a lucas mill. The downfall is the length of the log would be limited to 10feet or so. Using the BCI's you could go a little farther. I think there's a million ways to go. I only intend to do this once so I'm gonna continue plot.

Latest posts

Back