My dump trailer I just built

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you get ANY leakback,,thru that vent,,the o rings on the piston are getting bad...

ya i kinda figured that a small amount of hyd fluid is gettin by the piston orings ,trailer sits for weeks sometimes so i am not to concerned ,it doesnt push any oil out atall if it dumps 2/3 times a day . i just have to watch it closely when the body is almost in full vert position to keep the pushed out spray to a minimum thks jk

I can't believe I never took any pictures of the sub frame. It's 1 1/2" x 3" x 1/4" C-channel. The uprights are 1 1/2" x 3" x 1/8" rectangular tubing. The tops are 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle. The sides believe it or not are 1/2" MDO plywood and the floor is 3/4" Advantec primed and painted before it was screwed in place. I figure worse case I can replace the plywood when it needs it. So far it still looks to be in great shape, a little ragged on the inside but nothing major.

I also can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years since I built it. I've used it a lot. Between firewood and clean up duty on jobs it's great having it around.
dave

Thank you all for the reps and kind words! :)
I will try to answer the questions,
It weighs 1790 lbs
68" wide x 10' long, 24" sides
the rear gates will get chains to hold them back to the sides while dumping, I just haven't gotten that far yet.
It has two 3500 lb axles so I should be able to haul about 5k, I took the old dry rotted tires in today and had new bias ply 6ply tires put on the stock wheels, they are in great shape for a trailer frame that is aprox. 30 years old.
I will take some more pics tomorrow after I get the new tires on and hubcaps (anybody know where I can buy baby moons?) LOL
I did use one part of the 2 x 6 box frame to make the cross member that the lower part of the ram hooks to.
The little vent line just dumps out the bottom of the batttery box, I think it may have been hooked to the vent on the other end of the ram, I'm not sure as I didn't take it off the origonal liftgate. I do need to get a bronze filter for that end of the ram, maybe I should plumb it to the small vent line?
I have about 435 into the new steel, 100 for the fenders, 135 for the rear gates, 100 in paint, 229 for the ram, 90 for the power pack, 85 for the battery, 35-40 for hydraulic lines and fittings and fluid. I bought the rear light setup as a kit, two oval LED's, two 2" LED's and the boxes for 70 bucks, the tripple light was 14 bucks, wiring was another 100 including the new break away kit. I figure the tire bill will be around 325 or so. All in all I am quite pleased with it (even though I haven't put any weight in it yet...LOL)
I am hoping to split a load of maple I have tomorrow and toss it in and see if it will dump it..LOL Kind of like seeing if a boat will float for the first time!
later,
dave

Nice work Dave. What is you method for keeping the hitch square to the trailer? If your tire prices are anything like they are around here, you'll have nearly as much in the tires as the trailer. I priced 2-6 ply 245's to go on the front of my 4 by at $750. I about fell over. $1500 for 4 tires. I gotta stop now, I'm getting sick at my stomach.

Oh, how long does the battery last before a charge is needed?

Thanks guys.
I got the tires at a local tire chain and they really weren't all that bad, I think it was 360 for all 4. Of course they are only 15" tires.
I used the old tongue, dropped it in with the truck crane and measured from the center of the first axle outer edges to the center of the ball mount. It tows great.
I have the battery wired to be charged off my truck so I really can't answer your question about how long it will last. So far so good.

Very nice. and smart to cut the frame where you needed to and reweld the hitch in place instead of moving the axles, like I probabaly would have done.:msp_scared:

Nice job:

But my observation would be that you should add some straps above and below where the hitch butts into the main frame. Especially below.

This area takes a lot of abuse during towing and will crack.

Something like 1/4 x 2 x 10+ strap. Welded flat.

If it were to fail, it would be catastrophic and unpleasant.

Just my $ .02

:)

Latest posts

Back