my ebay dolmar 7900 buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmiller100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130126770414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

finally got time to work on it tonight. tore it down, and was happily surprised.

when i took it apart, the summer/winter shutter was set on winter. this means it sucks hot air into the carb.
when i took it apart, she had been pretty hot. all the classic symptoms. burned underside of piston, burned sides of piston, stuck ring causing lack of compression, no wash on top of the piston.
but, no detonation evidenced by carbon on top of piston, on top of dome, and the piston hadn't been eaten. Very few hours on this saw.
I worked the ring free, cleaned some carbon, scraped the base gasket off, and put her back to gether!!!!
no base gasket, so used silicon.
She fired right up, and sounds pertty crisp!!!
Is Rick hennessey a famous guy? Interesting woods port job.
For sure he spent some time grinding on the piston.

Hey!!!!

I had watched this saw for a while. Sounds like you got a super-good deal. Make sure to use HIGH temperature silicone of course you already knew that.

Us Dolmar dealers can setyou up with a gasket also. How's she run?

His name is ricky hennessee and he is from TN. He used to be pretty big into saw racing, but he has been out of it for a couple of years now.

dome is fine. there is baked oil on the bottom of hte piston, but not a huge ignorant amount.

i think what happened is it got hot, and oil coked the rings to where they stuck. i didn't find any aluminum that had melted, and as an example, there was still carbon on top of the piston, so the top of the piston wasn't in any immediate danger of melting.

seems to run fine. no bar or chain yet on it, heading out to go buy a bar now.

well, i was wrong.
the new saw cuts just about as fast as mine after i did the super secret intake modification to it.
the muffler on the hennessey saw is much better done then mine at least in appearance.

after doing a bunch of stuff, and seeing a bunch of stuff, I wonder if my cheapy muffler mod combined with the supersecret intake mod would give about as much power as a decent woods port.

Obviously I'm pretty excited!!!!!!!!!!!!P

I got a question for you. You say you scraped off a base gasket. How thick was the gasket? Then you put it back together with silicone sealer, right? I hope you know what i am getting at.

Stock Appearing 0 - 4
2. Rickey Hennessee 5:20

Stock Appearing 5 and Over
4. Rickey Hennessee 5:63

Last edited:
now THAT is some pretty funny stuff!!!!! there is an inside joke there, adn I just got smoked!!!!!!!!!1

:)

so you are right. I don't know the whole story. I don't have a fair setup to compare the Hennessey job to anything else, and I don't know what all he did.

I am leaning more and more towards I got a great deal on an ebay saw though!!!!!!!!!

doug

Yeah I know Ricky pretty well and he does good work so you got yourself a good saw. The saw you have was used minimally by him as a timber saw.

Latest posts

Back