My firewood tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread ! Love the pics. If you ever want to sell your 660 let me know. I need a big saw for the big logs that won't go through the processor.

Love the dirt scoop/log lifter.

I bought a scoop at an auction(addicted) and I see there is one on the block for tomorrow...

Beerman, the scoop works really well but keep in mind it can pull pretty hard on your toplink. We usually raise it high to get it started pulling then drop it just to keep it out of the dirt and keep trail damage down. Weld lots of hooks on it for the smaller stuff. I like the fact that it protects the rear tires too. We've also used it for lifting other stuff too like fence posts, small trees etc.

Like your wagon idea looks like it works well. Youve got to have a good imagination when you cut that crooked stuff and try to haul it in lengths

Been busy at work lately so I brougt in some bigger equipment to speeds things up. I would love to have a processor come in but I can't find one locally to do the size wood I have. The trucks and loader should speed things up, just too bad I didn't have more drivers for them.
View attachment 203405
203405d1318986218-tonka-trucks-jpg

Last edited:
Been busy at work lately so I brougt in some bigger equipment to speeds things up. I would love to have a processor come in but I can't find one locally to do the size wood I have. The trucks and loader should speed things up, just too bad I didn't have more drivers for them.
View attachment 203405
203405d1318986218-tonka-trucks-jpg

Waaaaay too much spare time!!! Perhaps some of those Big trucks could come to Goderich and help remove the tornado damaged buildings!

Here's a pic of this years leaf sucker setup. It's a 16hp Little Wonder front mounted on a 2" receiver bolted to the frame of my 01 2500 Dodge. Flatbed is home built by me and is 7x9'. Plywood box is 6x8x7' and can make that truck squat when leaves are wet. We dump leaves at a local farm to be spread as fertilizer on fields and some are brought back to our place and composted. View attachment 205595
205595d1320373062-leaf-truck-jpg

I forgot the most important thing. The running boards started life as a little spruce tree, grew up only to be cut down, run thru a saw into 2x8's then shoved into a pressure treat machine and spit out then delivered to Home Depot. I, being of sound mind and pissed at my wife cause she spent $200 on aluminum running boards( they are still sitting in the barn) welded and bolted them onto the truck. I was gonna paint them but decided that the wood grain look was coming back anyway so I left them raw. Slippery as sheet when wet and ugly but I'm still right, $200 is too much for running boards. Oh yeah, it's a gasser.

I cut up a cherry log that had some extra weight in it. Look close at the pic and you can see a piece of angle iron nailed into the split. There was a tree stand chained to the tree and the guy nailed angles on to climb the tree. I hit 1 with my 660 (new chain of course) and it barely slowed it down. Keep in mind when you let people hunt on your property that they shouldn't put metal in a high dollar tree, this cherry was likely 30" across and the mill wouldn't even haul it out of the bush. The angles were in the tree about 2" and the chain on the stand was completly grown over. View attachment 205612
205612d1320376786-steelinwood-jpg

This is the slide I use to put my wood farther into my basement window. It is black plastic from a roll of BIG O drainage tile and cut in half, super slippery, I wish it was longer though. I set it on a steel stand and hand dump the splits onto it, they fly down across the floor. Works great and was cheap. View attachment 205614View attachment 205614
205614d1320377106-firewood-slide-jpg

Latest auction buy. Hope it saves us some chain sharpening and time on the small stuff. There are a lot of small deadfalls that I would like to use up instead of letting rot.
View attachment 197995
197995d1315262413-buzzsaw1-jpg

"The buzz-saw snarled and rattled in the yard"

Brrrrr. Read that poem back in grade school, made an impression.

Good thread. It would be interesting to see what you're feeding with all this firewood.

Here's the redneck fix instead of spending $600. Bought a furnace fan at a yard sale for $25, 2 speed but I only use the low speed for now. Airflow is at least twice the 2 smaller fans and I doubt that hydro usage is that much more. Left the sensor so it runs the same as before but I have noticed that it runs longer than the small ones did. I still have to fine tune and finish the electrical and put a gasket on it to curb some of the tinwork noise but I'm happy so far. I also grinded off the knobs on the airflow so we can turn the knob and shut the stove right down if we have too. You can also see my firewood wagon on the right side. Our wood is stored about 60' from the stove so I figured a wagon was the easiest way to move it. Stack it as high as we can and pull to beside the stove, lasts almost a week. View attachment 205699
205699d1320449426-new-fan-jpg

Last edited:
We (my wife and daughter) usually pile all the wood as it goes in the basement but somebody( my wife) has been a little slow with this last batch. I put about 20x16" face cords in the basement. PS for the guys who can't figure out what that is, it's wood cut 16" long and stacked 4'x8' and 20 of them. Doesn't really matter, I just fill up the space I have and if I need more I have a little pile outside (40 face x16") and about 100 tops still in the bush. View attachment 205702
205702d1320449993-basementwood-jpg

Back