my first bear...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedesnake048

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am still waiting for next pay to get a lancelot etc. wheel, i did this with a 361 25" bar (haha, im sure that will get some laughs from what ive read on here) anywho its just the start and i found out that there is some dead space on the one side of the nose. any suggestions to this. like i said its more for just practice im not too attached to this one. any suggestions comments welcome

also those ears arent going to stay, im going to put them farther down on the head they were just practice. there was a v in the tree so the right side ear would have been in the wrong position to make them even, just fyi

here is the new template. any suggestions on what grinding wheel for an all around. ive read about lancelot. also what for sanding thx in advance

i am still waiting for next pay to get a lancelot etc. wheel, i did this with a 361 25" bar (haha, im sure that will get some laughs from what ive read on here)

If I were to make any comments... I'd recommend you do not get the Lancelot. Your 361 and a 200 with carving bar will make just about anything I'd ever want to carve. Not sure why the 361 would get laughs. It seems to be a fairly common mid-size saw for carvers.

I carved this 5 foot tall bear on Monday with my MS 361 w/25" bar and used the MS 192 with carving bar for details. Total time, including burn and varnish, was 3 hours.

bear_sign-1.jpg

Butch

If I were to make any comments... I'd recommend you do not get the Lancelot. Your 361 and a 200 with carving bar will make just about anything I'd ever want to carve. Not sure why the 361 would get laughs. It seems to be a fairly common mid-size saw for carvers.

I carved this 5 foot tall bear on Monday with my MS 361 w/25" bar and used the MS 192 with carving bar for details. Total time, including burn and varnish, was 3 hours.

bear_sign-1.jpg

Butch

How much do you charge for something like that? Chainsaw carving looks like fun and I have some artistic ability ( my art website: http://www.iridescentdreamscapes.com so I thought I'd give it a go. It's somewhat popular around these parts so it could be a little extra cash now and then.

You guys are well ahead of me on the carving...but I am learning.

Great pics, and info...keep posting...

Kevin

bear_sign-1.jpg

Butch

Real nice!!!

My God man, a 25" bar for carving? You must be an animal, or you must have been dog tired after you were done. Get a small, light saw, with a small dime tip carving bar.

Carvinmark, your bear turned out great!

Detail saws are for details.

My God man, a 25" bar for carving? You must be an animal, or you must have been dog tired after you were done. Get a small, light saw, with a small dime tip carving bar.

I have 4 saws in the under 8# range, all with carving bars, but when carving a 20" diameter hardwood log, I want a 60 or 90cc saw that can reach all the way across the log. I'm carving, not scratching. :)

Butch
www.WoodHacker.com

bear_sign-1.jpg

Butch

That's amazing! Especially all done in three hours. It would be cool to watch you do a carving some day.

That's amazing! Especially all done in three hours. It would be cool to watch you do a carving some day.

Honestly, I am not all that fast compared to the 'big boys'. Have a look at Dave Tremko carve a bear of similar size on You Tube. Last weekend at Deming, WA he carved a bear on all fours which was so lifelike it frightened our bulldog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64FYERjWyS0

Last edited:
Back