My first bore cut and a kickback observation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyFlip

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm still cleaning up tornado droppings two months later, mostly due to work and weather. Today, I ran the 288XP and 24-inch Tsumura combo for the first time on pine, mostly 8 to 20-inch laydowns after the sawmill came for the really big stuff. I went for it on my first bore cut which was the perfect medicine for bucking on the ground. Not sure why I was scared, just never done it before. I also like the long bar, so I'm going to go ahead and get a 28 for it, mainly for the reach (I'm tall). Earlier, I ran my 55 with 16-inch bar to clear branches and more reach definitely makes those jobs easier, even if the saw is a little heavier. While my 55 combo runs and cuts great, the shorter bar is way more prone to kickback. I guess because of the shorter torque arm it's just snappier than the heavier and longer 288. Nothing dangerous, just noticed a big difference; and I'm using H47 pro on the 288 while there's 325 safety on the 55. I might have to supercharge the 288; I really like it.

I recommend a 32" light bar over the 28" as that's not a big enough jump over a 24" bar IMHO.

While kickback with a longer bar actually produces more torque, as the end of the lever is further away from the center of rotation. However the end of the bar has further to travel, plus there is more weight from the bar and the saw. Plus the handles are spaced further apart on bigger saws, which gives you more leverage/control. :cheers:

My first bore cuts were done at the fair with a crowd watching me. The 2100 wot with the larger pin rim with the rakers set deep actually drew the bar into the timber and it stuck the spike deep in the timber. I couldn’t hold it back. After that I removed all the spikes. Me and my buddy laughed about me fighting to pull the saw out of the wood.

My first bore cuts were done at the fair
Bill, I've never used a chainsaw at the fair. But I'm having a hard time trying to imagine what possible cutting event at any fair would be best achieved with a bore cut.

Please, tell me what the fair set up for you to cut that was best done with a bore cut.

The timber was 9x9 or 10 x10 pine we cut at the fair, it was eight cuts, two slices down, two slices up, Bore two holes without breaking out, one cut down, one cut up. My fastest time with the 2100 was 17.5 seconds. I was inshape fresh out of the woods doing firewood.

It sounds easy but it took me a while to learn it. I was new to saws at the time.

Back