My first Chainsaw, a new Makita DCS6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Hulsty,
Congrats! I wish my first saw had been a 6400!

I know we're a few days after you've started it, but I'd like to make a recommendation.

Im always scared when I see new users running a saw "straight out of the box." - not so much because of safety (sounds like you have good PPE and you have a friend there to show you proper technique) but because chainsaws are very temperamental beasts & a slight change in altitude, gas type or mix can make a HUGE difference on the smooth running of your saw.

In a perfect world, that saw would have been picked up at a dealer's shop and adjusted properly to the conditions in your area. If you are a more experienced chainsaw-er you would be able to adjust the carb immediately and get it running smoothly but because this is your first saw...

Hopefully your friend is experienced enough to tune the carb a little for you. If you guys didnt do that then I would strongly suggest going to a local shop (you likely will get out of there for less than $10-20) and have them just have a look at your carburetor to make sure you're within an acceptable RPM.

Just my 2¢, take it for what its worth.

Again, you made a terrific choice for a first saw. If I could only have 1 saw it would most definitely be a 60cc saw and it would most likely be Dolmar (makita), husky or stihl.

Thanks for the advice mate, I do plan to take it into the shop once it has had a few tanks through it. As it sits I think I would have run 1/4-1/3 of a tank so far, not much at all :laugh:. I am using a oil mix slightly stronger than the recommended 50:1, probably closer to 45:1, with 98 octane fuel. The saw sounded good during use and I only ran it at WOT as per the manuals recomendations, we didnt touch the carb, though I think to be on the safe side I might richen it a fraction till I take it in.

Couple of updates, found the standard filter was no good for dry hard wood let fines through, so I upgraded.

IMAG0877.jpg

IMAG0878.jpg

I too prefer the Dolmar orange and black treatment. Go to admit though, that blackout you did on your looks pretty nice. Reminds me of the older Makita chainsaws.
Is that painted or anodized?

Pretty - I think they are the best looking of the new saws, color and all.

I too prefer the Dolmar orange and black treatment. Go to admit though, that blackout you did on your looks pretty nice. Reminds me of the older Makita chainsaws.
Is that painted or anodized?

Muffler is done in VHT flame proof and oven cured, dogs I wanted to have plated but the local platers we not much help. Originally I think they are bright zinc coated, local place said they could strip it then black oxied but it would eventually turn grey. I ended up rubbing them back, epoxy primer and epoxy paint, will see how it holds up. Quick and easy to re-coat if I have too.

I wanted to black the handle and travel limiter too but I think it might be getting a little difficult with the rubber on there.

I dig the blacked out look.

It took me a bit to figure out what was different. Looks good!!:msp_thumbsup:

The "Blue Brigade".....:D

Muffler is done in VHT flame proof and oven cured, dogs I wanted to have plated but the local platers we not much help. Originally I think they are bright zinc coated, local place said they could strip it then black oxied but it would eventually turn grey. I ended up rubbing them back, epoxy primer and epoxy paint, will see how it holds up. Quick and easy to re-coat if I have too.

I wanted to black the handle and travel limiter too but I think it might be getting a little difficult with the rubber on there.

I was thinking of just taping the rubber on the handle and hitting it with some edge primer first. A semi gloss black should blend in nicely with the rubber.

I was initially in the same boat, blue and grey looks shocking, black and blue is really growing on my though1

Yeah me too - I actually didn't mind the colouration. Very few people associate the name Makita with a quality product as they are used to their Chinese made hardware which in my book is highly overrated. I owned a 6401 Makita but sold it to Wayne (gmax) with a stock BB top end. That saw was originally a 65cc ex rental but Brad Snelling built a ported and pop upped 79cc Mahle top end that is now on one of my Dolmar 7900's. Still going strong and my favourite saw. If I had to sell all of my saws and keep only one it would be this Dolmar.

So after fitting the HD filter kit without the felt pre-filter I wanted the tune on the saw checked, I do not have a tach or finely tuned ear/experience to do this so I checked the Makita website for service dealers in my area, found one just around the corner.

Left the saw with them and just received a call which I am dubious of, he is the experienced professional though and I just wanted some more opinions.

I run the saw at 50:1 (per the manual) with SHINDAIWA 2-CYCLE OIL, meets and or exceeds the dolmar specifications. Shindaiwa 2-Cycle Oil 1-Gal Mix 6 Pack WiseSales.com.

The shop guy said that I should be running 25:1 and that he was previously a Husky dealer for 20 years and anything above 50cc should be on 25:1, he was very adamant that I run it at 50:1, he was saying the exhaust was "dry".

He also mentioned that he had to lean it out about a quarter of a turn and gained another 1000rpm ish and that the saw is now tuned to its peak and could get hot etc and lean and really needs to be run at 25:1. He also said that if something happens warranty will be denied due to the 50:1 ratio and that I should avoid changing oils as they are "absorbed into the cylinder walls" etc

I asked him what rpm it was tuned at but he hadnt written it down, I might call him back to check it for me.

On a side note, I have run about 10 tanks through the saw and it has been going great, I just need to get better at the chain sharpening.

So after fitting the HD filter kit without the felt pre-filter I wanted the tune on the saw checked, I do not have a tach or finely tuned ear/experience to do this so I checked the Makita website for service dealers in my area, found one just around the corner.

Left the saw with them and just received a call which I am dubious of, he is the experienced professional though and I just wanted some more opinions.

I run the saw at 50:1 (per the manual) with SHINDAIWA 2-CYCLE OIL, meets and or exceeds the dolmar specifications. Shindaiwa 2-Cycle Oil 1-Gal Mix 6 Pack WiseSales.com.

The shop guy said that I should be running 25:1 and that he was previously a Husky dealer for 20 years and anything above 50cc should be on 25:1, he was very adamant that I run it at 50:1, he was saying the exhaust was "dry".

He also mentioned that he had to lean it out about a quarter of a turn and gained another 1000rpm ish and that the saw is now tuned to its peak and could get hot etc and lean and really needs to be run at 25:1. He also said that if something happens warranty will be denied due to the 50:1 ratio and that I should avoid changing oils as they are "absorbed into the cylinder walls" etc

I asked him what rpm it was tuned at but he hadnt written it down, I might call him back to check it for me.

On a side note, I have run about 10 tanks through the saw and it has been going great, I just need to get better at the chain sharpening.

Mate, I agree with what the fellas above have said.

25 or 33:1 for a 3120 is OK and Husky here demand it, but with the Makita just grab your manual and show him the page where it says either 50:1 or 40:1 and see what he says ;)

25:1 on a sub 100cc saw with a modern, JASO FC/FD oil in this day and age is insane........

Thats what I was thinking, the oil is within the manufacturers specs and so is the mix so how can there be a problem. I called the guy back and asked him to re-check the max rpm and note it down. Reading a few other threads the limiter is at 13500rpm, the manual says to tune to 13200rpm, if he has it set to about that rpm it should be trouble free right? I pay my $16.50, get out of there and never go back, when I went in there he was telling how good his fancy $380 tach was, better not try to fob me off with some more bull ####.

Picked the saw up, he said he added a little oil to the tank to bring it down from 50:1, anyway its tuned to 13100rpm, said it wont turn any harder regardless of the screw adjustment, so he turned it back and left it at 13100rpm and also said I should put back on the pre-filter.

Also said I should get a decent chain for it, a carlton or something, It already has a carlton on it......

Latest posts

Back