my first Fern gully tree take down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few days?!?!?!? My boss would be pissed if I didn't have that on the ground by 2:30. Clean up would take a while though if you couldn't get a mini skid back there. It is sketchy that it's hollow, like really sketchy and really hollow.

A few days?!?!?!? My boss would be pissed if I didn't have that on the ground by 2:30. Clean up would take a while though if you couldn't get a mini skid back there. It is sketchy that it's hollow, like really sketchy and really hollow.

I believe he said a couple, not a few, and he didnt specify cleanup included or just getting it on the ground. Sounds like your boss is a peach to work for.

Anyway bushler, i assume youre running your own show and dont have to beat the clock for a boss? That would be nice for ya because it doesnt look like the type of tree to rush or lower big if you have to climb it. Good luck on it.

I believe he said a couple, not a few, and he didnt specify cleanup included or just getting it on the ground. Sounds like your boss is a peach to work for.

Anyway bushler, i assume youre running your own show and dont have to beat the clock for a boss? That would be nice for ya because it doesnt look like the type of tree to rush or lower big if you have to climb it. Good luck on it.

Yeah, He is a real peach. I could see clean up on that taking a while with no machine to move it. That is one hollow ass tree though, holy cow!!!

Looks like a crane job. I got a little curious when the guy who is taking it down referred to it as "The Fern Gulley Tree". What? He don't know what kind of tree it is? What does he put on the estimate sheet? " Remove Fern Gulley Tree" ?

Couple of years back I took down one sorta like that at a friend's place. Left it about 10 feet tall, cut an off center peak, and framed a steep pitch roof that I covered with 3 foot hand rived red oak shakes. Made a little girl and her Mom very happy to have a hazard down and still had her ivy covered play house.

We work on an hourly rate. The time I figured includes all cleanup. We have to do everything possible to keep all we do on the right of way. No way to get a crane back there without messing up the lawn we have to fix that.
I sure ain't the fastest climber but I figure that all concerned are getting a good deal .
And it not too big or bad and it will be the first lowering job for my ground crew.

I seem to remember some pretty impressive spruce removals that you have reported in the past. I think you'll find that cottonwood to be a breeze. So long as nothing breaks off when you don't want it to, the hollow trees are a lot less work. Lighter, less wood to tote out of the back yard.

Next time you take a video, try to get far enough away from the tree to evaluate the top. It looks to me like you could pretty easy chunk that down into the yard and never bother with the fence.

Last edited:
. Got some great news this afternoon at the shop when I was picking up the chipper to come back down to Valdez for the week. The boss got me a new Husqvarna Pole Saw. That will save a lot of shinnying up those suckers. . . He is pushing me t be cautious so that is a good load off.
I mean, push came to shove I could have it on the ground in around 7 minutes. So speed isn't the criteria.
I'll try t do better with my videoing.

I appreciate all the comments. !

Husky 327P5 pole saw.

Well its lunch. So thot Ide throw this out there. I've run less than a half tank thru the new pole saw so far. I really like it. It cuts a lot better than I thot it would. It has an adjustable oiler that I set on Max. So far the only thing I'm not too impressed with is the harness.

A harness? What model pole saw is that?

I cannot imagine trying to use a pole saw with a harness. It sounds like a nightmare, particularly if you are already in the tree. Is this a pic of the contraption?

52332290.jpg

Yup. That's the harness. I'm gonna use the shoulder strap that I use for the saws when I have them send it up.

This tree is quite probably the single worst tree I've ever klum.
The far side is too rotten to hold my weight. . I've got t get a line over the top limbs. I only got half way up by quitting time
I have 1 ratchet strap on it so far. Gonna put 2 or 3 more on it. . I guess a Big Shot is next on the list of things to get.

Back