My First Flippy Cap Incident.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't play games with Flippy Caps, I just use them and have no troubles for years so far. I'm sorry you can't figure them out, I could have one of my children give you some lessons on how to open and close them successfully they've been doing it for about 5 years now and they are 12-13 years old now. Actually they both run MS 261's and have no flippy problems, but you know how kids are these days, they can figure out those incredibly hard and comlex systems that make older folks just scratch there heads, I'm only 36 ........ I must fall into the younger, smarter group too......... I feel good in making that "cut" mentally, as it would be hard to face the mirror or my kids or those on this forum with the concept that Flippy Cap Complexity had beaten me mentally and I was unable to rise to the challenge that they must apparently present to the average Joe. To be quite honest, I had always thought they were a simple and fast invention, it wasn't until I got onto this site that I started to understand how truly difficult it was to operate them successfully, sometimes it better to stay in the dark on certain things, as now I feel lucky to have not spilled oil on my leg at the end of each day.

Sam

But Sam; there so hard to use :jester:

I've had it happen on my 250, and have had a quick annoyest of putting them on at some point. I do kind of like the design of them. Makes it almost easier to twist them on and off, but not 100% of the time.

I'm just not use to them I suppose, and don't care If I ever am. :D

I don't play games with Flippy Caps, I just use them and have no troubles for years so far. I'm sorry you can't figure them out, I could have one of my children give you some lessons on how to open and close them successfully they've been doing it for about 5 years now and they are 12-13 years old now. Actually they both run MS 261's and have no flippy problems, but you know how kids are these days, they can figure out those incredibly hard and comlex systems that make older folks just scratch there heads, I'm only 36 ........ I must fall into the younger, smarter group too......... I feel good in making that "cut" mentally, as it would be hard to face the mirror or my kids or those on this forum with the concept that Flippy Cap Complexity had beaten me mentally and I was unable to rise to the challenge that they must apparently present to the average Joe. To be quite honest, I had always thought they were a simple and fast invention, it wasn't until I got onto this site that I started to understand how truly difficult it was to operate them successfully, sometimes it better to stay in the dark on certain things, as now I feel lucky to have not spilled oil on my leg at the end of each day.

Sam

It's silly how things on this forum sometimes become a personal attacks with such lengthy responses such at this. This do to someone disagreeing with a product or concepts. These are chainsaws not personal identities and this subject has nothing to do with personal intelligence either. these are opinions about functionality. I own two stihl chainsaws one pro one non and I understand how to line up the "flippy" and lock it in place. I try to look at things subjectively and respectively, I would suggest the same to you, who seems to be taking this personaly. I'm not the only one who has had this issue so everyone else on this forum must suffer from lack of problem solving intellect as well, but I don't believe that. In short I don't believe it is nessecary to belittle someone whom you don't know at all and make snap judgement about there character.

Reminds me of the flippy cap incident of 2007. Of course I mucked up the cap and it poured the fuel down the front of my pants. I was wearing a fairly new pair of double wall jeans. So when I got home I took off my pants filled a bucket with water and some laundry soap and went out the basement door to soak em in the bucket. I'm bent over in the driveway (I live in the booneys, no close neighbors) in my underwear, stirring my pants in the bucket. My wife comes around the bend of our driveway, I glance up, see its her car and keep stirring. I failed to notice her mother and her great aunt were with her. Soooo, after retreating to the basement again, wondering if looks can really kill and good grief I hope not, I put the pants in the washer.
Next morning my wife comes down stairs throws a load of laundry in, mostly her stuff. Comes upstairs and asks me if I smell gasoline. I say no why? She says "I was just in the basement and it smells like gas. It still does not click in my head, should have, but didn't.
I go to work. About an hour later I feel my phone vibrating. Uh huh, you can see it coming cant you, She got the wash from the machine and then SHE knew where the gas smell was coming from. I dont even want to describe what I heard from her when I got home, gas in the washer, running around in my drawers outside, and a list of other sins to horrible to mention.
It was horrifying,I think I got post dramatic, man did I get a tongue lashing, shes really pissed this time syndrome. :msp_sad:

Like the older gent at the saw shop in Woolley said

You always have to be smarter than a "flippy cap" :jester:

Ask Sam to show his vids of his kids operate a "flippy cap" it's educational ;)

Even Stihl itself then is not always smarter than its own flippy caps, otherwise they would never have issued any recalls whatsoever... and yet they have.

Lets stop already with the whole "not smart enough" remarks and innuendos. It's condescending and immature.

Well that is certainly one way of looking at it.

I always figured that those of a lesser mental capacity required more instruction to accomplish the same tasks that others just seem to pick up naturally or with less issues. I think the Stihl engineers and document writers have shown an incredible amount of patience by providing additional reading materials as learning aids for those that can't just simply figure out how to work a simple cap, like the rest of the population.

My kids can figure out how to operate the flippy cap. Here is an instructional video for those that can't figure it out. If its too fast for some of you then use the pause button or slow motion.

Sam

:msp_wink:

It says something to me when an idividual is that concerned about pointing out what they think is a lack of intelligence. I mention this becuase you rarely see intelligent poeople exploiting what they think is superior intellect over another. If this is your moment to shine, then shine bright hope it's righteous.

Sam

Either your the luckiest Man on the planet or your full of bull. Flippy caps are garbage.

Replaced another Saturday.....thankfully these are inexpensive.

Sam is lucky and good for him. Wish I didn't have to keep them on the shelf. Its the condescending remarks that make his posts on such matters distasteful. As always, it's his experience and opinion he's entitled to.

What annoys me the most about the Stihl flippy caps is that they lock at different angles. Difference between the angle of the oil and gas, different angle between different saws. Why on earth did those great German engineers not decide that the black part of the cap should face forward (or back, up, down) CONSISTENTLY on all caps on all saws.

When switching between an MS200, MS261 and MS441 during the day, you have to double check each time you close a cap. It doesn't cost many seconds, but it is annoying nonetheless, mostly because I can see no good reason for the different angles (see attached images).

Well, at least that isn't a problem on the MS660 ;)

Had my first "floppy cap incident" the other day. I strung a syrupy trail of oil about 50' as I walked to a tree. However, I attribute it purely to operator error.

Had my first "floppy cap incident" the other day. I strung a syrupy trail of oil about 50' as I walked to a tree. However, I attribute it purely to operator error.

Now see that is honesty right there. We've all done that. My wife did it when her nephew forgot to install the oil cap. He installed the gas cap but not the oil cap and left it sitting on a log for her to use bucking up logs. That is not the caps fault for not screwing itself into the tank, its the nephews fault for not screwing it into the tank.

What I get pissed about is 8 out of 10 incidents are from operators not screwing the caps in themselves and then thinking they are so smart they would never do that. I'm smart and honest enough to know that if the caps falls out of the tank, its because I didn't screw them into the tank............................. that isn't Stihl's engineers fault, thats my dumba$$ fault and I don't blame others when I screw something up. I have found that it is common nowadays for others to blame someone else for their own personal shortcomings ............ these flippy cap "problems" are just such cases many more times than not.

Sam

The flippy cap on one of my MS-200 is sticking again. :( Soon I will not be able to pull it out without using pliers. I have to replace the fuel flippy at least once every year but only in my 200s.

The flippy cap on one of my MS-200 is sticking again. :( Soon I will not be able to pull it out without using pliers. I have to replace the fuel flippy at least once every year but only in my 200s.

Good that will make up for the ones that supposively just fall out, LOL.

Sam

Back