My first Jonsered! (a classic I believe)...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been trying to quell the CAD lately but I just couldn't help checking out this Craigslist find last night. Picked up my first "old school" saw... a Jonsered 630. Got it from a nice young guy who also peruses this site by the name of Dusty. Nice guy with an enviable amount of toys for his age!

I have to admit my knowledge of Jreds is very limited but I gleaned enough info to know that this was/is a quality saw. Now what I do know:

-Made in 1983(from the serial number plate)
-Has the double thin ring piston set up
-Electrolux is printed on the serial number plate and
-The badging and filter cover still say "Jonsereds" with the "s" at the end. Not sure if that's a big deal but I think they lost it shortly after that.
- Most Importantly to me is that the darn things piston and cylinder looks great and it starts on the first or second pull everytime I've started it! Most of my newer saws can't do that!

It runs great! I can't wait to sharpen the chains and face it off against the MS 361. If anyone has info to add about the saw I'd sure appreciate it...

Oh, and here's a pic before I get her cleaned up a bit(shouldn't need much!)...

attachment.php

That's an 82 or 83. Jonsereds changed the name to Jonsered around then and that one says Johnsereds on the recoil. Little metal plate near the oil cap should have a date on it. Very nice saw btw.

Last edited:
That's one of the early 630's for sure. 1983 might have been the first year in fact. My early one is an '85 and the "S" is gone from Jonsered. I also have a later 1994 "Super II" version. There were some changes to the ignition, and the case where the coils were located, but they are essentially the same saw. If that saw has been sitting a while, it would be a good idea to pour some Seafoam or some such thing in the cylinder and let it soak the rings for 24 to 48 hours. The thin steel rings would wear longer than the later thick cast ring, but they were less forgiving of old or stale gas which would cause them to gum up and stick.

62cc; 13,000 RPM. It's a little heavier, but it should win the face off aganst your 361. Mine runs more like a 70cc saw than a 60. :cheers:

from 1983 to about 1992 we bought a bunch of 630s. we used them mostly for the pulpwood operation but they did see duty cutting saw logs from time to time. the were great saws.

i think the 630s held up slightly better than the 670s did. and the 670 certainly ain't no slouch.

and our pulpwood would likely be saw logs now days--:chainsaw:

Congrats on the saw! You will certainly like it more than the 361, at least I do. The 361 is a good saw, but I feel that the 630 will do more than the 361 and faster.

I have 3 630's; 1983, 1985, and a 1987.

:cheers:

Congrats on the saw! You will certainly like it more than the 361, at least I do. The 361 is a good saw, but I feel that the 630 will do more than the 361 and faster.

I have 3 630's; 1983, 1985, and a 1987. :

Thanks Plant! I remember your name coming up a lot when I was searching for info. With you having three of 'em that makes sense.( I'm guessing you like 'em then!)

Yeah I guess you could say that I like them. :)

I have 1 too many at this point and will be offloading one fairly soon. They are great saws.

I've been trying to quell the CAD lately but I just couldn't help checking out this Craigslist find last night. Picked up my first "old school" saw... a Jonsered 630. Got it from a nice young guy who also peruses this site by the name of Dusty. Nice guy with an enviable amount of toys for his age!

I have to admit my knowledge of Jreds is very limited but I gleaned enough info to know that this was/is a quality saw. Now what I do know:

-Made in 1983(from the serial number plate)
-Has the double thin ring piston set up
-Electrolux is printed on the serial number plate and
-The badging and filter cover still say "Jonsereds" with the "s" at the end. Not sure if that's a big deal but I think they lost it shortly after that.
- Most Importantly to me is that the darn things piston and cylinder looks great and it starts on the first or second pull everytime I've started it! Most of my newer saws can't do that!

It runs great! I can't wait to sharpen the chains and face it off against the MS 361. If anyone has info to add about the saw I'd sure appreciate it...

Oh, and here's a pic before I get her cleaned up a bit(shouldn't need much!)...

attachment.php

The 630 and 670 were the first Jonsereds to be manufactured by Husqvarna (from 1982), and they were based in the 162se and the 266se respectively - not "the same" though. :)

The "s" sure IDs it as an early 80s one.

Good looking saw. I have a friends that owns one and really likes it.

Mr. HE:cool:

The 630 and 670 were the first Jonsereds to be manufactured by Husqvarna (from 1982), and they were based in the 162se and the 266se respectively - not "the same" though. :)

The "s" sure IDs it as an early 80s one.

Troll, at least some 162's and 630's share the exact same piston and cylinder. They both had the Mahle 48ZN5++ designation cast into the cylinder.

I have 3 630's; 1983, 1985, and a 1987.

:cheers:

Hey Plant, you have three 630's so I'll ask you...

What premix do you run in your saws? Talking to another gent who said to go at least 40:1 but I'd really like to use 50:1 so I don't have to keep a separate can mixed. I'm currently running 89 octane and stihl premium. Thanks for your input!

Nevermind Plant! Just did a search and answered my question. Or I should say you did in 2008 to someone else! Thanks again for your info. These nuggets you glean from this site are good stuff. Rep sent.

One thing to add is I haven't ran it head to head with the 361 yet but their actual weights are very similar(according to the trusty old Health-o-meter bathroom scale at least!:)) It sure feels like the same power too. I like it. Got a cherry Jred in the mix and picked it up for a very unstihl like price of 150 bucks! Good Stuff. Hmmm, maybe my $600 361 is overrated afterall!

Just use 50 to one, with good gas and premium synth oil - never mind the gas specs of older saws - they are that way because the oil was not as good as todays synth ones, when those saws were new. :)

Never use cheap mix oil! :monkey:

Ooopsss, forgot to mention;

If you put more than 2% of oil in your gas, you have to richen the saw on the "H" side, as more oil (in the gas) will make the air to gas mix leaner....:givebeer:

Ooopsss, forgot to mention;

If you put more than 2% of oil in your gas, you have to richen the saw on the "H" side, as more oil (in the gas) will make the air to gas mix leaner....:givebeer:

Thanks. I'm still learning the whole saw tuning game. Hoping to dial it in this weekend. Leaning towards richer is better. I need to find someone closer that has a better "ear" for it as I don't have a tach yet. I'm definately a hesitant tuner at this point!

I just picked up a carlton closeout bar and chain combo for 20 bucks too! I'm impressed with the condition of the old Sandvik .058 bar on it though! They don't make bars anymore do they?

I just picked up a carlton closeout bar and chain combo for 20 bucks too! I'm impressed with the condition of the old Sandvik .058 bar on it though! They don't make bars anymore do they?
\

Yes they do in fact. Sandvik no longer owns Windsor, but those great Windsor "Speed Tip" bars are still available.

Back