My first load of Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddhaKat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is my first load of oak from a new supplier I found by accident while driving back from cutting some pine. His truck was parked in front of a restaurant. As I was driving up to it I said to my helper that it looked like that's a lotd of firewood on that truck. When I got close I saw that it was oak. I pulled over and told him that we're not going anywhere till that driver comes out and I talk to him. In less than a minute this guy comes out and starts walking toward the truck. I asked him if this was his truck. It was, and the rest is history. He sells full truckloads to dealers and prices it at a point where I can make a nice profit. More than what I make off of softwood that I cut myself for sure. It took the guys 2¼ hours to unload the trailer. It was nice to wake up this morning without my back being sore.

It scares me how close I came to missing this guy. If I'd have been 5 minutes later I would have missed him completely.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dsXnmrphDr4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dsXnmrphDr4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12 cords, and the biggest bonus is that most of it is Live Oak, which sits at the top of the BTU scale for hardwood in this area. That load was 5' high × 8' wide × 39' long. Cut, split and dry enough to burn this winter. It was cut a few months ago, but oak tends to season pretty fast in our hot, dry climate.

We're going to offer it for $340/cord until the 1st of Nov, then $360-$380 a cord during the winter.

Yes, but in your neck of the woods you don't have people chaining themselves to every single tree so we can't cut them down. We have to factor in bolt cutters to our cost.

How long did it take to toss that load off? Just think of the time invested in stacking and unloading that trailer. Nice load of wood. You'll find that it's a lot better buying and selling anytime you can. Now you need to get a skid steer so you can unload that trailer faster for the guy. Make a loading ramp he can back up to. He might even lower the price if you can make it easier for him.

Scott

How long did it take to toss that load off? Just think of the time invested in stacking and unloading that trailer. Nice load of wood. You'll find that it's a lot better buying and selling anytime you can. Now you need to get a skid steer so you can unload that trailer faster for the guy. Make a loading ramp he can back up to. He might even lower the price if you can make it easier for him.

Scott

Or make it a dump trailer. :censored:

Or make it a dump trailer. :censored:

For sure. Around here dump trailers are a dime a dozen and can be bought cheap. No stacking in the trailer unless they really want to, but to unload, just pull the levers and go. Tossing the wood off a truck or trailer should ONLY be done when the customer is paying for it to be tossed over a fence, or inside a garage so they can close the doors. Any and all other deliveries are to be done by hydraulics.

Hard to believe they load that by hand. Don't think I would want to drive Through the scales with that load. Looks kind of scary.

Nice load of wood. I would buy many loads at that price. Do your guys unload or do his ?

I thought it was getting spendy here when folks were asking 175-200 for a cord of tamarack. I couldn't imagine 350-400 for a cord of wood. Is that an average price in Nevada? Is there an advantage to burning wood (at 350 cord) vs oil,propane etc? I've never been there so I don't know what the cost difference for fuel is. I put in a wood stove because I enjoy cutting firewood, it's close by and is $6 a cord in the national forest. Plus gas, oil, saws, time etc. I guess what I'm asking is it ever cheaper to have to buy your firewood than to use fuel oil, natural gas etc?

A good many of my customers care little about saving money when buying wood. The burn for enjoyment, have no interest in cutting their own firewood and don't mind parting with a few hundred dollars.

Scott
It took my 3 guys, (one old Mexican who works his butt off, and the two kids from next door who together don't amount to that one old Mexican), 2¼ hours to unload. The driver told me he has one guy that splits and loads the trailer by himself in a day and a half. That would kill just about anybody I've worked with, but his guys do it year round. My guys are all minimum wage help.

I thought it was getting spendy here when folks were asking 175-200 for a cord of tamarack. I couldn't imagine 350-400 for a cord of wood. Is that an average price in Nevada? Is there an advantage to burning wood (at 350 cord) vs oil,propane etc? I've never been there so I don't know what the cost difference for fuel is. I put in a wood stove because I enjoy cutting firewood, it's close by and is $6 a cord in the national forest. Plus gas, oil, saws, time etc. I guess what I'm asking is it ever cheaper to have to buy your firewood than to use fuel oil, natural gas etc?
Hi Al,

Wood is the cheapest source of heat around here. An electric furnace will set you back $200-$300 per month. LP gas is out of this world.

You have to remember, NV is the 2nd highest in unemployment and first in foreclosures. Unemployment in the Reno area is 17%.

Welcome to the AS Forums! :)

Wow, thats pretty steep for an electric furnace. I didn't realize it got that cold in Nevada.

Back