My first porting work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdntbone303

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Working on a Husqvarna 385 cylinder. I only want widen and polish without changing numbers. This is a worksaw.
-I have Widened the exhaust to 3-4mm of piston skirt width on each side and bevelled the inside.
-Widened/raised/lowered slightly exterior of exhaust port
-Smoothed out the lower transfers and transfer walls. Now intake, the ring pins are right in the middle of it. Do I leave the intake alone? What do you think of the work done so far? If I accidentally lowered and raised by maybe 1mm the inside exhaust port would that hurt anything? Planning on taking out base gasket squish is .025 without it and adding 2 1/2 or 5/8 ports to the muffler
9FA6584B-B1EB-4EA4-B921-F66B5D624F76.jpeg0C62033C-3F4C-4FBA-9AC8-60BA48F9D24F.jpegECF33C2C-AA69-4FBF-A225-78B7EB746E46.jpeg

I think I screwed it up. Just measured final exhaust chord and it is 42.5mm, and to start with it was 32mm. Bore is 54mm that means exhaust port with 79% of the bore diameter. Please tell me I am wrong.

I'm just thinking it would be a good idea to start out on an aftermarket cylinder before grinding away the gold, of course I know how it is - don't have time to consider that when the idea is hot and itching.

I'm just thinking it would be a good idea to start out on an aftermarket cylinder before grinding away the gold, of course I know how it is - don't have time to consider that when the idea is hot and itching.
I can find a used oem for the price of a new aftermarket though. Nothing picks my a$$ more then doing a stupid mistake that is going to cost me more money and now having to wait again for parts. This is a project saw for milling that I was itching to trying out.

Thanks for helping, I have a new meteor piston and caber rings already. Chainsawr has a used cylinder/piston for $125 too. I could always sell a piston too like you said.

Latest posts

Back