My First Strato Porting Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This saw has been working great and I've been quite happy with it, but I have had trouble getting the air filter to seal to the air valve. Basically, they blew the design of the filter - it does not seal. It look like maybe they intended some kind of foam seal or something, but just left it out. Here is the issue - the filter must seal to both the carb inlet and the air valve (here I've used a flat file to smooth the air valve surface):
IMG_6188-800.jpg

Using the bottom half of the filter you can see the gap - about 0.075":
IMG_6184-800.jpg
IMG_6189-800.jpg

I've tried some adhesively backed foam strips, but there is not a lot of surface to attach them to, they come off and they tend to block the air inlet. So I decided to make a shim on the 3D printer:
IMG_6193-800.jpg
IMG_6194-800.jpg
Here there is a bit of a gap, but the filter is flexing without the top half attached:
IMG_6195-800.jpg
Now, in the picture above you can see that the filter intruded in past the shim (and the air valve rim) and is restrictive. So I trimmed it back:
IMG_6199-800.jpg
And here is a blurry shot of the filter with the air valve held open:
IMG_6200-800.jpg

I'm interested in seeing how it works.

Thanks guys - in reality I've been looking for excuses to make some parts with the printer, and this one was simple enough to do.

There are some others I've been thinking about, but I can't find time to design them. Air filter adaptors are pretty well suited to the materials.

Excellent thread. I know nothing about engine building, porting or two stroke theory but this is a fascinating and information packed read(maybe dense is a better word for my experience level!). I can easily see your enthusiasm for what you are doing, keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Back