My first time, wanted to share with everyone.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ha, made ya look!

Really, I finally broke down and tried square filing. This was a Stihl 23RS round ground (actually filed) chisel. I bought both versions of chisel bit files from Bailey's so I could see the difference. I used the flat file with beveled edges. It took a while, especially when I got the left hand involved, but I think I didn't do to bad. Seems to cut at least as fast as my round filed chisel, but it seems to self feed a lot more. I'll cut wood Saturday on it and see what I think.

I dont think it looks too bad. could use a little improvment probably, but with more practice it'll improve even more and you'll get faster chains.

Tony,
I wish my first attempt at square filing had looked that good.
The more you use it, the better you'll get. The better you get, the more you'll like it. Be carefull though you'll get hooked on it. :blob2:

I think it will be a lot easier the to touch up a dull chain. Seems like it took forever to file the round chisel into the square chisel. These were some of the better looking teeth, but most look pretty close to that. The biggest problem I had was stopping and restarting on the same tooth. I could never seem to repeat the same motion of the file and I would get some funky looking curves and beaks that took some time to figure out how to get rid of. It was interesting though, and I can't wait to see what I think of it after a couple tanks of fuel.

Looks good from here, but I think you could save yourself a lot of time on the conversion.  If the cutter is set to .030 depth (for example) I'd think you could get by with just that, or maybe a bit more to be "safe", side-cutter-made-straight depth.  No need to make the side straight all the way down like that.  It'll get there over time.

Glen

TonyM said:
Ha, made ya look!

Really, I finally broke down and tried square filing. This was a Stihl 23RS round ground (actually filed) chisel. I bought both versions of chisel bit files from Bailey's so I could see the difference. I used the flat file with beveled edges. It took a while, especially when I got the left hand involved, but I think I didn't do to bad. Seems to cut at least as fast as my round filed chisel, but it seems to self feed a lot more. I'll cut wood Saturday on it and see what I think.

Just a short comment. If you mount the saw upside down in a vise and stand at the bar nose you can file both sides of the chain right handed.
Took me over 25 years to discover that. I think someone on this forum told me.

Harry K

All right, now you've got me confused. I'm sitting here drawing a chain and trying to picture in my mind what you are saying. I'm not seeing how the chain looks different if I turn the saw upside down, or put the saw in the vice from the other side. Is it a clearance to the powerhead issue. I suppose with the saw upside down, you might have more room for your elbow.

I have a cut off old bar I use as well, but it does't work well with the chisel filing. I needed the chain break to help hold the chain still. Even then I had to use my thumb of the free hand to put pressure on the tooth to keep it from moving. I may have to get or make a jig I can put in the vise to clamp the drive links like my grinder does. Then I'd have both hands free to guide the file. That would probably make the biggest improvment in my filing.

here are three pics of my progress. i am using the husky recommened file and i am still not happy with the results. the angles on the side plate and chisel angle do not appear aggressive enough. seems like the file is to large to get in and make the right cut. i have the straight line now for the corners. i'll have the mrs. put it in the wood today and compare it to one of my round file. i'll post the results here. i anticapate a large margin between the two. she will be using a 372xp or 357xp power tuned stock saw. marty

marty your angle is to blunt roll your file over and get under your tooth more
teeth005.jpg

I am not a racer so I usually file in the woods and grind at home. Everybody that I've seen file in the woods has developed their own style. Mine is to kneel down with the power head away and the bar pointed toward me but off at a 45% angle. The bar is resting on one or the other of my legs.Chaps on. I hold the tooth with one hand and file with the other. Sure you cant get the pressure that you can by using two hands but I wont file one that is damaged and needs a lot of work. It takes time to learn how to file straight one handed but you can do it. One side is easy and the other is kind of a backhanded move. With the angles involved and needing to be able to see the outside corner while you are filing makes it necessary,for me anyway, to file from the outside in. This doesnt seem possible unless the tooth is held firmly somehow. Also find the right spot to set the saw head so it is not apt to flop around. The longer the bar, the easier it is for me because it becomes more solid or heavy. Some guys cut into a stump or bore thru a junk sapling for a vise in the woods.
Sorry but I cant help any on making a race chain or filing at home with a vise. If I were to file in a vise I would have to turn it so the bar pointed at me.
I bet that you guys chain suprises you with how well it cuts. To me it seems like the main thing is making sure you have a corner that is a corner.

John

mike,
that was already done. i bought about three hundred used chains from a logger that went out. all of them are like that. i am using them to practice square filing.
mac,
i'll give that a try.
i really like my round filing right now. lol marty

Last edited:
So you didn't file that tooth ok well it's way to blunt and it won't cut very well filed like that. Have you ground one yet for a comparison with your round filed?

Mike -
Is that one of your's or Tom's. That tooth looks great! Marty, I agree with Mike, the tooth is quite blunt. Mind you, though, all of my knowledge of fast chains is garnered from looking at the ones I buy from real filers.

Tom's chain. marty needs to grind a tooth and put the file in the tooth to get the feel of what the angle should be when filing.

Did another chain today. I found a quick but effective way to hold the tooth. If I file on the last tooth just before the chain starts around the bar nose, I can clamp a pair of small vice grips onto the bar and the rivets of the link I'm working on at the same time, and still leave room to file. Really works quite well, and it is simple. I am doing the cutters I file with my right hand very nicely, but the left hand needs a little more practice!

Since you square filers have gathered here I wonder I can ask a question? I am a round filer. I was always told to rotate my file while filing. I was never quite sure why. Recently, I've come to believe that rotating the file dissipates heat and keeps the file sharper longer. If you use a flat file all you can do is switch sides, which is kind of slow. Does flat filing dull down files quicker? Does a flat filed chain throw more easily when cutting brush?

I'm always interested in a better way.

Back