My first time, wanted to share with everyone.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rotation of the file is to keep a sharp section ready to sharpen the chain when you go to use it. I do this quite often, its kept me from buying files for about 6 months now, but I dont use the saw often enough to need to sharpen the chain everyday either.

and no I tont think square filed chains will throw easier than round. thats all controlled by the bar tail size/sprocket size, and whether or not the user keeps the chain tensioned properly.

I was actually going to start doing some filing of my own. Thinking of picking up the "template" type system, that has the guides for the round files and clamps to the saw bar. Reasonably simple for more of a file beginner??

'' My first time, wanted to share with everyone. ''

Geezzzz and I thought he was talking about sex !

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well, he did make ya look.
i just found my biggest problem. the cutting surface of my file that cuts corner to corner is just falling off the file. there are patches of missing surface.
this file did not even make it through one bank of cutters....

TonyM said:
All right, now you've got me confused. I'm sitting here drawing a chain and trying to picture in my mind what you are saying. I'm not seeing how the chain looks different if I turn the saw upside down, or put the saw in the vice from the other side. Is it a clearance to the powerhead issue. I suppose with the saw upside down, you might have more room for your elbow.

I can't describe it, ????, now that I tried I can't even picture it. All I can say is I do it and would never change. Just mount the saw as I said and you will see why it works. Seems it is a matter of clearance and for some reason upside down allows the right hand filing of what would normally be done with the left hand. One side is filed standing at the tip looking at the power head. For the other you are standing alongside the bar looking at the tip.

Of course my filing days are about done. My eyes can't see detail enough to to a really good job anymore but I am still in there plugging.

Harry K

I cout a load of wood with the square filed chain. Very nice, especially considering my chain was far from perfect. I filed my PS7900 chain, and each time I'm getting a little better. I may be hooked.

TonyM said:
I cout a load of wood with the square filed chain. Very nice, especially considering my chain was far from perfect. I filed my PS7900 chain, and each time I'm getting a little better. I may be hooked.

I hate to say I told ya so, but.....
Aw heck, no I don't. I told ya so! :blob2:

Buy the GOOFY files and you'll see it's easy, hey I am no file expert but I know my chains don't cut like a bannana like one member on the forum does. :cool:

i seem to like this square filing thing a bit too. i think i have it down better. the file that fell apart was replace no problem. he did not really comment on if he saw it before. how much are those darn chisel bit files supposed to cost???????????????????????? once i get the cutter down i will start to work on the rest of the chain. i found the best chain to square file is one that has been used and sharpened a few times.
right now it is a little more work but i like the way the saw falls threw the wood :blob2: marty

Back