My First Top End Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artemis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I received a Husqvarna 154se from a friend for free. He said it didn't run, and when I let it drop from the pull cord it hit the floor like an anchor. My brand new compression tester said it had 150 psi, but I knew it was lying to me... I pulled the muffler and found the piston and cylinder to be scored severely. So I ordered the parts online and It only cost me $120 CDN for a p&c kit and a carb kit.
I tested the connecting rod for any play and it seemed rock solid. It was fairly dirty in there though, probably from sitting for so long.
The new cylinder had a nicasil coating and seemed satisfactory, but definitely could have been better. You get what you pay for I guess. The new piston was not bad as well. I threw it all together and fired it up.
I'll tell ya it's an awesome feeling to have your first rebuild start up without a hitch!
I had to wait a couple days for the carb kit, but after I installed it I noticed an immediate difference in throttle response and it held the rpm's way more consistently. Gave it a new fuel line and a muffler mod and she ran great!
I tested it against my 445 and it lost miserably. We are talking about a difference of 30 years between the saws so it's not really a huge surprise.
In the end I decided I didn't need the saw so I listed it online and I had someone contact me literally 30 seconds later!! She stopped by and bought the saw for $320! I think I made some good profit on that one. Anyways I thoroughly enjoyed rebuilding the saw, it was addicting actually. I look forward to doing more hopefully soon.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20160613_174323.jpg
    20160613_174323.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20160613_174351.jpg
    20160613_174351.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20160613_174335.jpg
    20160613_174335.jpg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20160605_125643.jpg
    20160605_125643.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • 20160605_120019.jpg
    20160605_120019.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
d95e54360ae9f3a40aad75f0f5f778d9.jpg

40d1e9795f1d1874db1939a052f3e340.jpg

8eced2689cb947f38c5a7f6e6ce5dd46.jpg

Good deal man, sounds like you had fun and made money, can't beat that.... Now you will be posting ads soon that say, will buy Non-running pro saws lol.... Atleast that's what I did LOL!!!

Artemis, did you figure out WHY the score happened? I agree, its a great feeling to have that freshly rebuilt saw pop after its back together, but its a terrible feeling to have the cylinder score again minutes later.

Here's my vid on pressure testing, it will help w/ concepts for you:

one thing about that 154...which I have never worked on btw, .... those crank seals are old. its very likely they were shot and if you didn't replace them, that new cylinder will likely just cook again.

anyway, the saw is gone, best of luck on the next one....

now take that $320 and go buy some more parts saws.... let the addiction take over... don't fight it....

Good deal man, sounds like you had fun and made money, can't beat that.... Now you will be posting ads soon that say, will buy Non-running pro saws lol.... Atleast that's what I did LOL!!!
Yes haha!

Artemis, did you figure out WHY the score happened? I agree, its a great feeling to have that freshly rebuilt saw pop after its back together, but its a terrible feeling to have the cylinder score again minutes later.

Here's my vid on pressure testing, it will help w/ concepts for you:

one thing about that 154...which I have never worked on btw, .... those crank seals are old. its very likely they were shot and if you didn't replace them, that new cylinder will likely just cook again.

anyway, the saw is gone, best of luck on the next one....

now take that $320 and go buy some more parts saws.... let the addiction take over... don't fight it....

Thanks for the tips. I did notice some ever so slight scoring on the piston after running it for a few tanks, but it was hardly able to be seen. I agree however, I should have considered the seals.

maybe the thing was straight gassed....but if you think about it.... how long does rubber on your car last? 10 years? so if that saw is 20+ yrs old...odds are those seals aren't helping much.

best of luck on the next one ....and the next...and the next :)

Latest posts

Back