My first try at porting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did more work on the saw here is the pictures
Got the saw running and trying to get it tuned, seems to lack fuel? Time for a bigger Carb.? Or my timming numbers too far?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You shouldn't have to remove your flywheel to put your degree wheel on. This is how I was shown to get a degree wheel on the easy way. Ditch the paper cut out degree wheels and go buy one for 10-12 bucks, go to the local hardware and buy you a cheapo keyless drill chuck and mount the wheel to it, should just take a metric bolt. Now you have a self centering quick and easy set-up, other than finding TDC.

huskybuild040.jpg

How much more did you do?

You were at 166 exhaust duration,100 transfer duration, 146 on the intake, and 33 degrees of blowdown in your previous post. I dont know what #s that should run, but they sound a little high to me,,,the exhaust anyways.

Here's a bump.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to remove your flywheel to put your degree wheel on. This is how I was shown to get a degree wheel on the easy way. Ditch the paper cut out degree wheels and go buy one for 10-12 bucks, go to the local hardware and buy you a cheapo keyless drill chuck and mount the wheel to it, should just take a metric bolt. Now you have a self centering quick and easy set-up, other than finding TDC.

huskybuild040.jpg

Thats too easy!!!

Just kiddin, I like it,,, think I might just do the same.

Looks good on my end. Wish I could help you with your questions. I know the 024/026 carb is a bottleneck, but it isn't because of fuel delivery, the throat of the carb is too small.

Thanks Andy, I don't know when the carb becomes a problem? If it even will on the kind of port job. I need to take more time and try to tune it again. I just hope i didn't cross the line on my port timing. (whens the next gtg?)

I don"t pull the flywheel, i use the puller to center the wheel ( sorry no pic)

The only work i did was in the transfers.

Thank guys for jumping in (This is my first saw) and helping.

where can i go with this saw # wise? (you don't have to tell me yours if there top secret) I have been reading a lot and have found some great threads but no real #s for a 024. Like i have said this is a play saw.

To be 100% honest with ya, I don't know. I'm new to this stuff and still learning. Only saws I've messed with is a 372 and a 395, and there not that high on the exhaust. Just guessing here so don't set this in stone, but 166 sounds high on the exhaust to me. It may be fine for a play saw,,, but I cant really say.

Someone will be through that knows though.

To be 100% honest with ya, I don't know. I'm new to this stuff and still learning. Only saws I've messed with is a 372 and a 395, and there not that high on the exhaust. Just guessing here so don't set this in stone, but 166 sounds high on the exhaust to me. It may be fine for a play saw,,, but I cant really say.

Someone will be through that knows though.

Thanks, I was thinking it was high also, most seem to stay in the 150s. on exhaust from what i have found. Well i am very new to this stuff and have a ton to learn. Thanks again mike

Thanks for the help, I got a flywheel puller and run the numbers

Exhaust 97
intake 73
transfer 130

What do you think?

Take the intake to 70?
73+73=146 360- 146= 214
70+70=140 360- 140=220

Your transfers are really low. I'd raise them up at least 7° and maybe 12°, to match your exhaust and get your blowdown to 20-25°. I'd also take the intake down as low as 80°.

Hear is a video of the saw with the numbers that i posted.
When I go back in and change to your #s I will post a video. I thank you all for the help. It sounds lean again in the video? I have pulled the plug its nice and brown. I know i need to test in the same wood and hold it better. I will get setup in time. ( wood is Cherry)

[video=youtube;x5ELTx8TLDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ELTx8TLDc[/video]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back