My hot saws thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Wilkinson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well it's that time. I have enough saws that if I am working on one I have a replacement to work with. Here is a short list of the saws I plan on or have modified and how.

echo 330t- muffler mod limiter caps removed. I wasn't as impressed with this as I had hoped. With the muffler off I noticed a score on the piston but after a compression check it was at 150 psi so should be ok. But still plan on a new piston and ring and while I'm in there I plan to check squish and remove the base gasket. I would like to try my hand at porting as well.

Echo 590- I would like to MM this saw tomorrow I'll try N get .some pics while I'm doing it. If the 330t base gasket and porting goes well I may try it on this saw as well. Oh I am also looking at a 620pw wrap handle coil and carb. For this project as well

Stihl ms390- this already has been rebuilt with a ebay piston/cylinder kit, carb and coil and fuel lines / filter. Come to find out after all that some Hamm Fist McKnownothing shoved a roofing nail in the auto oiler adjustment. ... still trying to get it to run right and I haven't even modded it yet... I think it's lean because it screams and gets hot enough to shut off and not want to start until cool. Once this saw runs and cuts as should I would like to MM port and base gasket delete this as well. At the time it went together I needed a saw that ran and cut. Once it was still giving me problems I bought the 590. May end up buying an eBay crank case and oiler adjustment too...

Echo 750evl- proly not a lot to do to this old thing. It runs and cuts and I have a parts back up for it. Thought about yanking the parts saw apart and trying some porting. base gasket delete new piston and rings on the saw I use. It has 150 psi but figure that could stand to come up some. The muffler is pretty open as it is... but as my stumping saw I am planning on a 36" hard nose and think it could use a freshin up and while I'm there light mods might help.

Well I opened the muffler on the 590 timberwolf up a little today. It is louder... removed limiter caps as well and fattened up the tune a little. Haven't had the chance to cut anything with it yet. I also played with the ms 390 a little. Gave it some more top end too and made a hand full of cuts with it. Where it would have normally got hot and shut down it kept trucking. Need to drop the low end a bit but I think it will work for now. Would have popped the can off a d punched it out a little too but I'm still tinkering with it. Once I've cut with it for a few "stock" and have an idea what it can do I'll play with it. I'm gonna try N order a piston and ring this week. Would lime to rip into the 330t this weekend.

Holy **** man. I just stopped by a buddies that had some hickory laying around. WOW I can believe how much of a difference it made. Totally didn't do that with the 330t. Bit then again the compression is lower then I would like it to be.

Ok ok yeah yeah I should have some good ones coming tomorrow. We are starting a big silver maple removal and I'll have the woman there getting pics for the website I'll have her get some good ones of it bucking with the 28" bar.

Totally not posting pics of the hack job I did on the muffler...lol sorry not proud of that one and it will not be seen....

echo 330t- muffler mod limiter caps removed. I wasn't as impressed with this as I had hoped. With the muffler off I noticed a score on the piston but after a compression check it was at 150 psi so should be ok. But still plan on a new piston.

Stihl ms390- this already has been rebuilt with a ebay piston/cylinder kit, carb and coil and fuel lines / filter. Come to find out after all that some Hamm Fist McKnownothing shoved a roofing nail in the auto oiler adjustment. ... still trying to get it to run right and I haven't even modded it yet... I think it's lean because it screams and gets hot enough to shut off and not want to start until cool. Once this saw runs and cuts as should I would like to MM port and base gasket delete this as well. At the time it went together I needed a saw that ran and cut. Once it was still giving me problems I bought the 590. May end up buying an eBay crank case and oiler adjustment too...

On the echo I believe there is some intake mods that make a big difference. It's pretty choked up.
The 390 is a clamshell so no gasket delete.

Yeah I was playing with the old cylinder today talking to my buddy about it. I'm actually trying to sell it atm. I would like to buy another members 600p that he has modded.

here she is MM'd and wearing her 28" bar and brand new chain, only cut three times (once before MM and twice after). Dressed and ready for work in the morning.

Attachments

• 20150706_212410.jpg
    20150706_212410.jpg
    908.1 KB · Views: 37
Back