My last removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalTreeEquip

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I cut down this dead walnut tree at my folks house in Carmichael today. Since I stopped doing tree work 10 years ago I have maybe done 9 tree jobs. I'm 52 years old now. I'm thinking this is the last time I ever do this and since it is in the very tree that I started in at age 12 its a most fitting closing of a great story. Nice to know I can still do the work though and with style. Oh, and that guy running around on the ground is my 86 yo father, and my mom helping where she can.

So I cut down this dead walnut tree at my folks house in Carmichael today. Since I stopped doing tree work 10 years ago I have maybe done 9 tree jobs. I'm 52 years old now. I'm thinking this is the last time I ever do this and since it is in the very tree that I started in at age 12 its a most fitting closing of a great story. Nice to know I can still do the work though and with style. Oh, and that guy running around on the ground is my 86 yo father, and my mom helping where she can.

I'm 35 now but a few years ago I got the opportunity to learn from some old school pro's out of organ. The man is named Dave and he was 62 year young climbing machine he said he has retired 4 times lol. It's in our blood I can't go down the road without looking at the green giants. But I enjoyed the video and tell your dad I'm looking for a good hand! Thank you. love the tree life.

You are never done,
I climbed from 1976 until 2003 and then took a job in management and got soft.
Soon after that, I would find myself hiking and marking trees, putting in 10 to 12 hours a day, responsible for everything, helping when I can,
When I quit climbing I was a mean lean 168lbs,,
a year and a half later I was 220lbs, I was thinking about getting one of those 'Life Alert' things after a tough day.
I am now 188lbs, 33" waist,,
feel pretty good and still like being on the job.
Jeff

You gotta keep climbing. Thinking this is the last time you will do this is crazy talk! What is the matter with you???
Have never yet considered a last tree removal, even though by the end of some days my body now feels like it has nothing left to give.
Climbing trees is my destiny.

You're only as old as you feel. It looks like you get around pretty well but if you don't feel safe climbing at 52, I don't blame you for stopping.

btw, I noticed that the time lapse method eliminates the possibility that someone will complain about safety issues. :laugh:

Since I stopped doing tree work 10 years ago I have maybe done 9 tree jobs. I'm 52 years old now.
Why did you stop doing tree work at 42? Is that your chipper? Looks to be in great condition, so why hang onto it if you retired? FWIW, I didn't start doing tree work until I was 55 ... granted, I'm only doing it part time.

Why did you stop doing tree work at 42? Is that your chipper? Looks to be in great condition, so why hang onto it if you retired? FWIW, I didn't start doing tree work until I was 55 ... granted, I'm only doing it part time.
I sell tree equipment now.

I'm pretty sure I saw your equipment lot a month ago. Was on a trip driving south along the CA coast with my wife and daughter. As we came through a town somewhere near Point Reyes seashore I stopped and took a quick look, as I remembered that you're in Marin County. The place was an unmarked lot across from the fire station. Figured it's likely your place. That's a good looking array of steel.

CB

Love the time lapse by the way! Good stuff and I'm betting you're only as done as you want to be.

Latest posts

Back