My left arm is on FIRE!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's the deltoids that take the hardest workout using the pole saw. I've used them for a full day's work several times, and am in the market for a good inexpensive used Stihl. Right now I'm using a mechanical pole saw, which actually isn't much harder on the arms/shoulders than a motorized one.
good luck with that ,I have been watching flea-bay and CL for a buddy of mine. Those things are like hens teeth and people are REAL proud of them. I am too old to run mine all day,but if you can get to where you are cutting about waist level it really helps. Overhead is a killer.:msp_razz::cry:

There is only one thing on God's green earth worse than having to use a pole saw - that's having to use a non-mechanized pole saw. I had to use one for a driveway in Oregon once. I know what hell is.

Hell is an infinitely long driveway and a manual pole saw.

I recall I may have vomited a little when I was finished.

I have the Echo extending version as well and whilst it does a great job for pruning I would hate to use it for a long period. I remember using it at my FIL's and he had me cutting limbs so high I had it fully extended and holding it at arms length over my head. My stomach muscles took a week before I could cough without thinking I was dying.
You will appreciate that view of the lake now.:smile2:
Al.

A pole saw will definitely work your arms if you aren't used to it. It will give you Pop-Eye arms for sure!!

Pop-Eye arms are the result of torn muscles. They tear lose below the shoulder and roll up towards the elbow. You definitely don't want that.:msp_thumbdn:

I am glad I am not the only one who has felt tortured by one of these devils. I was excited to go try it out too! Probably going to quit looking for one on CL now. I ran it for over an hour, and most of that was on max height. Can't imagine what I'm going to feel like tomorrow. :msp_razz:

You guys are a bunch of pansies. I would imagine I could run one a couple minutes without any ill effects. (provided it started).

We took a new looking Stihl to cut the road for a GTG, and the dang thing wouldn't start. Come to find out, the power pack was out. 200 mile trip for Naught. Haven't had the opportunity to get it back over there. (doesn't fit many places.)

I thought I was getting one for Christmas. Instead I got 'you didn't get anything' :)

I have done 3 days of mostly power pruner work with extention, sometimes on a ladder and scaffold. Hedge trimmer and circular saw head on big hedge. You really feel it but its not that bad, but I think being a full time climber helps.

Pop-Eye arms are the result of torn muscles. They tear lose below the shoulder and roll up towards the elbow. You definitely don't want that.:msp_thumbdn:

Or in my oldest sons (30) case, tearing the biceps tendon off the forearm bone, and having to have a cadaver ligament grafted onto the bone and muscle. Only takes a year to rehab.....

Both he and I WORKED a ECHO Model, more than one actually, cutting/trimming Palms down here in FloridAH. Nice soft wood, but invariably -Right over your head.

Washingtonia Palms are THE worst.

If you aren't familiar with Washies, imagine a old school two man bucking saw falling out of the sky to graze your arms or body as you try and get out of the way, all while trying NOT to drop the saw while doing the fairy dance out of the way. The thorns aren't little pokey things like pins. They're the size of sharks teeth, hooked like fins, and hard woody little f- ers.

I think I have one I should sell or trade for a bigger saw. I never use it anymore, and I do have a Stihl 4 stroke Kombi that is use for hedge trimming and I have the small CS head to go with it.

These days? F- it, I'll just take the tree out....

Or in my oldest sons (30) case, tearing the biceps tendon off the forearm bone, and having to have a cadaver ligament grafted onto the bone and muscle. Only takes a year to rehab.....

Both he and I WORKED a ECHO Model, more than one actually, cutting/trimming Palms down here in FloridAH. Nice soft wood, but invariably -Right over your head.

Washingtonia Palms are THE worst.

If you aren't familiar with Washies, imagine a old school two man bucking saw falling out of the sky to graze your arms or body as you try and get out of the way, all while trying NOT to drop the saw while doing the fairy dance out of the way. The thorns aren't little pokey things like pins. They're the size of sharks teeth, hooked like fins, and hard woody little f- ers.

I think I have one I should sell or trade for a bigger saw. I never use it anymore, and I do have a Stihl 4 stroke Kombi that is use for hedge trimming and I have the small CS head to go with it.

These days? F- it, I'll just take the tree out....

I have a Combi also and I think you just talked me out of a pole saw adapter. CJ

Flashback....

Ole guy tale to follow...add 3' of snow, howling winds, and no shoes to the story if you like:msp_ohmy:

Was in my 20's with family and no job. I guess we were nomads, moving around a lot trying to find ...who knows what? I happened to check the County Extension office, and spoke to the forester there. They did "have a job", he said while trying to hold back the chuckling. ( I should have realized that the chuckling was not a good omen.) It involved cost share work on a plantation of Red Pine. "Good nuff", said I innocently.

He went on to explain that the job was pruning the trees. Worked for me, as I much preferred working outside. Then came the kicker...They have to be pruned to 18'. I think I took a big gulp, but still was looking forward to it.

They even had a pruning saw I could use. Two wooden sections that when put together added up to 16'.

I'm just 5'7", and to cut 18' up was quite a job. Figure that one has to use the saw pretty near straight up, with elbows at least even with head level to reach that far up. Well the first few days were somewhat discouraging...naw, make that a lot discouraging.

I think that the family part kept me going. Of course being a stubborn Polack didn't hurt. I got one acre done and called the forester cause I needed the cash. He came out and was somewhat surprised. Seems that three guys have attempted this and gave up shortly after starting. I don't remember how long it took for that first acre...musta been at least a hundred years or so...was the way it felt to me.

Of course things got easier as my body adjusted to this. Don't think I ever put in an 8 hr. day though. That wooden pole just wore me out.

Fast forward to a few years ago. I retired and still enjoyed working outside, so...I have 20 acres that I planted with White Pine in 1980 - 83. I had put it off too long and these trees really needed to be pruned. Well I had an extremely nice fiberglass pole, with a real good blade. I was only pruning as high as one section of pole would reach. I'd say 10' - 12'. As it turns out, after getting into a rhythm, I really enjoyed doing this. Took me a couple of winters part time. Probably the worst part was trying to keep my snow shoes from tangling with the branches.

Then about 5yrs. ago I purchased a Kombi with a pruner and extension. I dunno, but I think that thing was worst than using a pole saw. Especially if I had to hold the pruner up, which seemed like most of the time. I was probably not using it correctly.

I was dissapointed in one feature of this pruner. It left a more ragged edge around the "stump" left on the tree. I think that for pruning market trees, the pole saw does a much better job. The object is to cut the branch so as to promote fast healing, and I had better results with the pole say.

I really haven't used the kombi for pruning much. Easier to get the pole and cut that nuisance branch. I will say that if speed is an objective, then there is no comparison. The Kombie can drop a lot of branches in a short time.

The ht100 is great if you can get by with it. It's not extendable though so it's light and mine doesn't tire me out at all. My ht131 on full extension is another story though. That one shows me just how out of shape I am. It's amazing how much difference leverage makes when holding up a saw. That and the fixed length saws weigh a good bit less.

Well i don't feel as old as I though I might today. Still not going to stand in line to run that thing any time soon.

Even a FS110 and 130 are tough on the arms when used with the pole saw attachment...

Have to break up your work and only do it short spurts.

I have a 110 and 130 and the pole saw head. Spent most of this past summer with one or the other in my hands clearing 35 acres of fences on a horse farm that has been let go for 10 years. I wouldnt be with out them, they are just to handy.

Latest posts

Back