My Ms261 starts easy, but does not rev good until warm.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncvarmint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought my ms261 late last summer, and lately when i start it cold, it starts good and fast but when i go to rev it, it will die unless i do it right and lightly tap the throttle a few times slowly. It is acting like a stihl with the 4mix engine (br600, 130 trimmer), if i i crank it and let it idol a minute it is fine. Is this normal for the newer saws, or do i have to re-tune it.
thanks
trevor

Make sure of your tune but I start kind of slow when cold also wait you said new nevermind.:hmm3grin2orange: My saws do the same thing.

Its typical of any saw to fall on its face when cold, you always should warm a saw up before cutting or holding it wide open. After its warm it should not do so. The saws parts needs to be warm to work correctly. Also you could do damage to the saw if you just fire it up and cut right away. There's such thing as cold seizing as well as hot or lean seizing too. Also if a saw idles for to long it may load up and needs a few blips to clean it out. When this happens you will notice increased smoke for a few seconds. This is normal and is caused by unburnt fuel and oil.

That is my experience with new strato Stihls. My old 441 was really cold natured but went away when it got broke in. Just live with it for now it will be worth it

Steve

Thanks guys,
I always let my saw's warm up at least 1 minute before i cut. Usually i will start it, set it down and get my earplugs in and my gloves and stuff on, by then it has usually warmed up. But this also happens when it has been in the basement overnight (60-65 degrees) so i don't think this is a cold issue.
trevor

60 65 degrees is not operating temp.I don't know exactly what the operating temp is but I know I don't want to put my fingers on the cylinder. so I would say it's normal at least on my saws it is. Once warmed up does it still cough and bog if it does it then you have a problem.

my little ms 211 does it. If you need to start in a bit more of a hurry you can feather it up as you suggested. I haven't played around with the tune much but once the saw is warmed up the tuning is where it should be so I haven't thought it worthwhile to change it .

Let it warm

My 2011 Ms 362 will die if at WOT on cold start as well. To remedy this I simply let it warm up for 30 seconds and she is good to go.

Regards,

SAWs

Tuning?

Could be the low screw is set a bit too lean which shows more when cold but clears when warm.

Maybe check the tune?

Hello,
I bought my ms261 late last summer, and lately when i start it cold, it starts good and fast but when i go to rev it, it will die unless i do it right and lightly tap the throttle a few times slowly. It is acting like a stihl with the 4mix engine (br600, 130 trimmer), if i i crank it and let it idol a minute it is fine. Is this normal for the newer saws, or do i have to re-tune it.
thanks
trevor

Hint: The answer is in the title of the thread.

Back