My neighbor is tossing salt to kill my trees, is this legal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard, I do not get the moral of the story..... but I am simply propagating more trees.....

Last edited:
Can I tell you a short story? My son has his buddies over to work on their cars, I don't mind gives me a better chance to see what he is becomming, for a while, maybe 2 months I told him several times to not throw the cigarette buts on the floor of MY garage, nobody listened. One day I had a great idea, I would sweep the floor and pick out all the butts, then I randomly distributed those nasty little things within his nice reasonably neat but hard to clean toolbox drawers full of tools, he was pissed for a while, he got over it but now I ain't got no butts on the floor. Do what you need to do but if you are wrong ?

Look what he did......now..... he is just a jerk. https://picasaweb.google.com/theblossomfarm/20131019#
After I talked to his wife he left a fresh rabbit intestine by the fence so my dog could get sick........ I cannot reason with a person like this, So here is my game plan even if it is I am buying 150 foot screen fence on Ebay and stapling it to the willows..... If you live in Ohio here is the ordance: Ohio law does provide that no person shall recklessly cut down, girdle or otherwise injure a . . . sapling, tree or crop standing or growing on the land of another or upon public land. ORC 901.51. This can be a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. You might discuss this law with the sheriff. In addition, the law allows for a penalty of up to three times the damages for the injury caused to the tree or crop. In most cases, a landowner would need to institute their own civil suit against the neighbor in order to receive compensation for the damage to the trees. A neighbor does have a property right though to trim trees that overhang onto their property.

I don't approve of salting trees, but it looks like the real problem here is that two inconsiderate people are feuding over a fenceline.

Those willow trees are almost as bad as invasive bamboo, and it doesn't look like you planted them there to be considerate of his property interests.

Last edited:
I can't tell for sure, but it looks like he's keeping his property line nice and clean and yours is a little messy. Although what he's doing is not cool, I can definitely see his side of the story.

who put up the fence? in ga a fence has to be 3ft off the actual property pine,not sure about your state. also as stated above CLEAN UP your side of the fence. i dont like the salt idea,but that trench is clearly put there to STOP willow root from running rampit across his yard.

I wouldn't want a bunch of willows (or any tree) planted right on the fence line either. When I planted my White Pine next to the fence, I kept them 6 feet away so I can mow next to the fence. The salt and trenching is silly because it will only draw his attention MORE to it. Kids that can't play nice with other kids grow up to have property disputes with neighbors.

who put up the fence? ...

It looks to me like the fence was built facing away from the salt trench. That suggests to me that the fence was built by the salty neighbor, and that the actual property line may be outside the fence where the OP is planting trees.

"Here", my property line extends above and below the ground. I have the right to trim branches hanging over my property, as well as taking a deep ripper along the edge of my property, if there happens to be roots from your trees there, they'll not be afterwards. That's how I'd protect my property if I were your neighbor. The rock salt is more iffy, more related to pesticide I'd think, and that opens him up to drift rules. Baiting your dog is just wrong in my book.

Just looking at this from "the other side of the fence".

For discounthunter: In farm country, line fences are just that, erected on the property line with shared maintenance responsibilities by both landowners. Local laws vary, of course.

I have a neighbor that has a roundup/grass fertilizer fetish. We get along fine but I have expressed my concerns about his abuse of chemicals on his land. The thing is I have a garden about 5 to 6 feet off the property line. Early this summer he had his lawn guy over spreading synthetic granular fert and weed killer and found that he over spread into my garden. I expressed my disappointment with him and agreed to tell his lawn guy to be more careful, so now the lawn guy sprays instead of spreads. He was over in the early fall spraying and the wind was blowing in my direction so I had contamination to my garden and a smell of chemicals in my house. This really upsets me but I not sure I can do anything about it other than express to him my concern. A couple years ago I confronted him when I found him with a bottle of weed killer spraying all the dandelions in his yard, he crossed the property line and sprayed into my yard. A few hours later I looked out my window and he had a statue of uncle sam and his spray canister sitting in the middle of his driveway as some sort of mental game. The funny thing is I used to see him spraying weed killer all around his driveway and his dog would come out after and lick it, his dog eventually died of liver complications.

Actually I don't think you will win that. Even though it is a very crappy thing to do, it is probably legal! The salt is contained on his side of the fence, I think he is doing it so that he doesn't have to weed eat the fence line. I would build a 8' privacy fence if it were me. This is prime reason why I live in the middle of the woods! Neighbors suck! You either get along with them and feel like you have to speak with them when you see them or hate them and feel like they are spying on you.

Here is a suggestion for your neighbor. Buy him a couple bundles of earth colored shingles, remove the salt, and lay down shingles along your fence. This works exceptionally well for keeping grass and weeds away from fences...it's an old electric fence trick.

Best bet is to put up a privacy fence.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but it looks like your neighbor is pretty particular about his property and the fence line is a bit of an eye sore. I can certainly sympathize with his position.
I wonder if he's posting on some lawn forum about his A'hole neighbor who planted Willow trees on the property line and the problems they cause?

As for the rabbit guts on the fence to make your dog sick, mess with the trees or lawn, no big deal. Mess with the family or dogs, you get your ass kicked.
I'd let him know that if he does anything to harm the dog, the consequences will be swift and painful.
Some things can be tolerated, some can't.

Look what he did......now..... he is just a jerk. https://picasaweb.google.com/theblossomfarm/20131019#
After I talked to his wife he left a fresh rabbit intestine by the fence so my dog could get sick........ I cannot reason with a person like this, So here is my game plan even if it is I am buying 150 foot screen fence on Ebay and stapling it to the willows..... If you live in Ohio here is the ordance: Ohio law does provide that no person shall recklessly cut down, girdle or otherwise injure a . . . sapling, tree or crop standing or growing on the land of another or upon public land. ORC 901.51. This can be a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. You might discuss this law with the sheriff. In addition, the law allows for a penalty of up to three times the damages for the injury caused to the tree or crop. In most cases, a landowner would need to institute their own civil suit against the neighbor in order to receive compensation for the damage to the trees. A neighbor does have a property right though to trim trees that overhang onto their property.

How are rabbit guts going to make your dog sick? Rabbit intestines are vitamin packed and excellent for carnivores. Anyway...you two are fixing to really have some problems..when the video cameras come out and things like this are posted on forums....trouble is in the air. If you don't get a privacy fence, you all are going to end up in a court battle or come to physical altercation...fence or move is what I say.

In the uk that would be trespass and criminal damage, deliberately causing harm to trees crossing a boundary is a big no no. Pruning and root pruning are ok if not detrimental to the health of the tree. I can't believe this is allowable where you are

Sent from my GT-I9210T

seek mediation your local shire city or legal aid should have a contact for third party method to put 2 sides together,, now before personal harm or irrevocable damage is done by this I dont mean some trees n grass. neighbor feuds like this escalate fast, get help in as this has passed tree advice and is now tit for tat psychological trespass matter and note you may not win all rounds and may have even added issues so need to concede a few points but greater damage may await.

well, at the end of Dec, 6 mos will have passed. I see escalation, threat to your pet's life, water table issues. Get yourself to a lawyer!!! 1 already has commented!
I once had a neighbor like that & I was told by authorities to press charges (free). The judge let it go on for another (monitored) 3 mos, but again instructed me to press charges & the fool was locked up in jail for 6 mos. He eventually lost his home. Mental cases need to be handled legally, or else!
Good Luck!

seek mediation your local shire city or legal aid should have a contact for third party method to put 2 sides together,, now before personal harm or irrevocable damage is done by this I dont mean some trees n grass. neighbor feuds like this escalate fast, get help in as this has passed tree advice and is now tit for tat psychological trespass matter and note you may not win all rounds and may have even added issues so need to concede a few points but greater damage may await.

We don't gots no mediation in the US. We have a 300 year old habit of duking it out with whoever we disagree with, so there are no sanctioned means of arbitration. Sometimes the cops will do that, but more often they just haul off the worst perpetrator they can find.

Back