My new 372 and modding the muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsteel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have my new 372xp on order and am planning on modding the muffler, I just wanted to get a couple things straight before I do.

Reading past posts the Walkerized mufflers use 2 5/8 pipes which works out to a cross sectional area of .613

The bracket mod on this site the 7/16 X 1 1/8 works out for me to around .45 cross sectional area.

My questions are, is the bracket mod still the prefered method with that cross sectional area? Second, does the hole in the front mount cause problems with cutting wood, IE will I have to worry about starting fires with the hot exhaust blowing on dry wood in the summer? Finally where is a good source for the mesh for the mod (with either pipes or front I will have them with mesh to keep sparks at bay and garbage out of the muffler)?

Any feedback is apricated.

I did a through the front bracket thing, and the only time I noticed the exhaust being a problem is when I have milled with it. It gets hot on the hands. For milling, it would be better to have the Walker style with the pipes gong out the sides. The advantage to cutting through the bracket, is that you can put in the screen in place to catch sparks.
I can’t comment on the performance difference between the two, but I did see a noticeable gain in power with what I did.
I also thought this was interesting. On my Jonsey 801, the muffler opening is huge. It is roughly 1”x 3”. It may be more restricted somewhere inside the muffler, but the sound is completely different than any of my other saws, seems quieter. My 2100cd sound like a dirt bike.

vsteel, I did my 372 muffler a while back and posted a picture. Do a search for "Pics. of My Husky Muffler Mods." I put a 7/16 x 1 1/4 (per Ken Dunn) slot thru the muffler bracket and put a screen in it. I think this comes out to about an area of .505 sq. in. Quite a bit of heat does come out of the front exhaust port...you will definately feel it in your front hand in big, long cuts. As far as the screen material, you can use stock screens or there is stainless woven wire mesh that is available by the sheet. I think I got 24x24 holes per inch with .014 wire diameter. I bought it at McMaster-Carr Supply Co. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back