Need carbide burr recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a brand of carbide burr that will hold up to use on mild steel?

I'm in the process of rebuilding the mounting bracket for the loader on my tractor (1983 Ford 1710). I never realized the bracket had been repaired (poorly) in the past and the horizontal member rotted trough this spring and gave out. I have most of that portion cut away, and new steel on hand to weld back in, but I have a tight corner that I can't get into with my 4-1/2" grinder.

Ideally, I'd prefer to use a burr with a 1/8" shank since I'm limited to a Dremel at this point. If I can get a 1/4" 110V tool relatively cheap (I don't trust my air compressor to keep up with a pneumatic tool), then the 1/4" burs would obviously be a better option but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Thanks,
Mark

I ended up going with a "Made in USA" brand from MSC Industrial Supply to save a little $$. The MA Ford were priced competitively. If I needed it for more than the one job, I would have certainly opted for it. I've dealt with MSC for several decades now and I know what their "Made in the USA" stuff is, and it's normally well above average. I've finished the die grinder work and the burr held up just fine. It's not quite as sharp as when I started, but I ran it for about 90 minutes straight grinding out steel and welds that I couldn't get to with my 4 1/2" angle grinder. When I was done, it was still cutting. Just didn't feel quite as sharp to the touch, or cut quite as fast as it did when I started. If I were at the 1/2 way point, I think this burr would still have enough life left in it to get the job done. Since I'm finished, I'm happy :)

I also ended up picking up an electric 1/4" die grinder to go with it. A friend was going to loan me his but I HATE borrowing a tool from someone. The cost of the tool is never worth damaging a good friendship over.

Latest posts

Back