My new saw chain vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chain holder/bench

Have had this one for about 25 yrs. Similar to what you guys are now building. Given to me by a friend who started a Stihl shop in a building no bigger than my 24x24 garage!...He had two of these and that's all he used to sharpen chains with. I clamp it to the bench w/4" clamps and it works fine...holds tight. Easy to use. Only one I've ever seen outside his shop.
DSCF0003-1_zps0b434fae.jpg

Another one . . . .

Dennis Cahoon posted these photos in another thread. I noticed the vise, which is similar to one I have been working on.
Adding it here to keep things together in one place.

Philbert

attachment.php

attachment.php

Philbert, that vise is an Oregon filing vise. The old 3 cam filing vise. Many have been made.....it's all about holding the tooth.....then releasing it, and moving it swiftly. Holding the tooth is the most important part IMO.

I know that Madsaw (Bob Pierce) had a few different saw vises last year, I just never make the effort to see what he had. It really was an effective tool, I just finally wore mine out.

Mark

Mark-I like the new vice, but I like the old one better. I would re-work that to make it functional again. Just a thought. You'd have to add metal to the cam and/or the other face via welding, but with the right techniques it can be done on cast-even hardface the bearing surfaces for better wear properties.

Another One

I keep transferring photos from other threads here, so that they are 'all in one place'.

Here is one that Termite posted in a square filing thread: - http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/141414-23.htm

Here are photos of my vice. The two halves slide over the 4 rollpins. They are for alignment only.It works pretty well. The top bevel on the vice acts as a 45 degree guide and gives clearance for the file.I am thinking of making another using pony clamps.

Termite1.jpg Termite2.jpg

Would it not be possible to clamp an old bar in a vice with a sprocket? Sprocket could be made up to tension the chain, maybe with a crank handle on sprocket to wind chain around the bar while filing? If I had the tools I'd bolt some flat iron onto the side of old bar with elongated holes and wing nuts, then extend the iron out past the end of the bar, put the sprocket wheel on the flat iron so it can turn freely, and lastly put a small crank handle on the sprocket wheel so I can wind the chain around the bar as I file..
Did any of this make sense? :msp_unsure: Sorry I should just go back to bed and dream

*scrap everything I just said.. Another fella just said the same thing on another thread, and I'm not a copy cat*

Last edited:
Would it not be possible to clamp an old bar in a vice with a sprocket? Sprocket could be made up to tension the chain, maybe with a crank handle on sprocket to wind chain around the bar while filing?

Good thought. Such a device is commercially available from site sponsor TreeStuff: - Tree Stuff - The ChainMeister...
Screen shot 2014-11-05 at 5.13.40 PM.png

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/introducing-the-new-chainmeister.239225/

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/introducing-the-chainmeister.235996/

I have not personally used this. I do have a couple of old bars (with the sprockets removed) that I put in my vise for filing depth gauges, or for sharpening with a Granberg type file guide.

The advantages of the vises shown in this thread is that they hold the chains rock solid, while even a tightly stretched chain will rock a little bit in the bar groove. Some guys don't find that to be a significant issue. Some guys overcome this by backing up the opposite side of the chain with a small wood block when filing.

Whatever works for you.

Philbert

Trying to keep these together for reference

A vise by 3000 FPS :
This is one I made. You can do the samething easy. Two pieces of angle iron and a flat piece welded on the bottom to clamp in the vise so the clamp is elevated alittle from the vise.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Philbert

I keep adding links to/from related threads so that folks can see these vises in one place. Link to the individual threads for more photos, discussion, and detail.

A very nice 'home-made' chain filing vise by Homelite410 in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/240935.htm

Homelite410 Gen2.jpg

More photos at link above.

Philbert

Here are a couple of other tools that could be adapted for saw chain filing vises (not that I have spent much time thinking about this . . . ):

image.jpg

Wide Grip Vise Grips and Sheet Metal Forming Tool

image.jpg
image.jpg

Bicycle Axle Vises (spring loaded - fit into mechanic's vise without fasteners, open and close with vise jaws)

Philbert

Trying to help ressurect this post...see if this pic takes for Philbert...Not much of a pic I guess...If you want I can take another...bigger...maybe a couple....haven't seen another one of these anywhere...marked at 30º and 35º on the top...simple to use.

chainsaw sharpening vise copy.jpg Thought I'd repost this for Philbert's vice photos. This setup will also work with the bar on the saw. Definitely not a production setup, but good for us firewood cutters. Simple, cheap and portable. Bar clamp is from Lee Valley.

Latest posts

Back