My new to me 288xp! Some questions and input wanted.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadronaHunter

Reaction score
Hey all, im still relatively new to the site, especially posting here. I just got myself a 288xp and i have some questions. First i need to find a parts list and
or service manual online, free is best obviously. 2nd the saw has a 36 inch bar and chain which to me is just robbing the saws true power with such a long bar, and im only 5'8" or so anyway. Id like to drop to a 20 or 24 inch b/c combo and unleash the torque she has. Problem is this. Its got a .404 rom sprocket on it and id like to go 3/8 mostly because the majority of my saw and parts are 3/8. Do i need to just change the rim sprocket to a 3/8 or does the whole clutch itself need changed? Also whats the best techniqque to remove the clutch with impact wrench? Thanks for you answers/input in advance. im stoked to have this saw. Ive had a 257 and my favorite saw to date my 036 pro were stolen a few months back so its been hard trying to cut wood with loaner and cheap poulan/homelites ive had access to.

Sorry for your loss on the other saws but you have a real saw now . There are allready treads here on what you need. If I recall rite the 288 has left handed threads but should have an arrow pointing and say remove on clutch. I use an impact and hold the flywheel with my hand. If your just cuttin firewood a 20 or 24 is way better. At the same tims the 404 chain for firewood duty is not a bad idea plus your 36 bar is 404 so could be used with no major work. Enjoy
jnl

Maybe it's just me but a 288XP with a 24" runnin' .404 is a "Wood Eatin' Monster". Just love watchin' them big chips fly!!:blob2::blob2::blob2:

nice series them, I like the 266 but your 288 will do a grand job with 3/8" x 8 sprocket and 18"-20" bar, a good sharp chain and you should be happy. I know some will say a longer bar but here in the UK 18" cuts must things and is fast. Safe cutting :clap:

Have a few of these fine old saws- personal opinion...... they will run a 36, but are happier doing so in 3/8 full skip chain while doing it.
If you want to stay all 3/8- then as others have said above- just change the drive sprocket.
Perhaps a bit underbarred with a 20? Burning fuel on wasted power- 24 to 30 is about the 288XP happy place.
My own ones are all 3/8 with 7 slot drive sprockets and mostly work with 24 and 28 inch bars.

Have a few of these fine old saws- personal opinion...... they will run a 36, but are happier doing so in 3/8 full skip chain while doing it.
If you want to stay all 3/8- then as others have said above- just change the drive sprocket.
Perhaps a bit underbarred with a 20? Burning fuel on wasted power- 24 to 30 is about the 288XP happy place.
My own ones are all 3/8 with 7 slot drive sprockets and mostly work with 24 and 28 inch bars.
I have a 288 that I installed a meteor cylinder, ported of course along with a domed piston. Use a tsumura 32” bar and 3/8” full house chain. The domed piston makes a NOTICEABLE difference in power! It is a great saw to use in big hardwoods here in W.Va. Oh yeah, the compression release is a must do or the starter will soon self destruct!

I have a 288 that I installed a meteor cylinder, ported of course along with a domed piston. Use a tsumura 32” bar and 3/8” full house chain. The domed piston makes a NOTICEABLE difference in power! It is a great saw to use in big hardwoods here in W.Va. Oh yeah, the compression release is a must do or the starter will soon self destruct!

Thats all well and good- but you are comparing stock to non stock with what you have built. My personal experiences are related to the stock saws as per the OP's saw.

Thats all well and good- but you are comparing stock to non stock with what you have built. My personal experiences are related to the stock saws as per the OP's saw.
True but I’m never satisfied with stock. Stock will easily run a 28” bar

True but I’m never satisfied with stock. Stock will easily run a 28” bar
Nothing wrong with a stock 266, looked after and run right they last forever as we can all see because they are still around and bringing a good price even though they havent been made in 30+ years. We all like to play around with pistons, cylinders and exhaust but my personal opinion is husqvarna done a lot of research developing the 266 and came out with a good work saw that's easy to maintain and had a good service life. That was before emissions forced every manufacturer to make saws run on the limit and not last as long, just to keep the money hoing around. Everyone wants/needs us to keep buying new. Just look at battery tools and how often they change battery mounts so you need the latest system and they make sure ALL brands never fit another, so we spend more.

Latest posts

Back