My new-to-me saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I found a mate for my 260. I saw an ad in one of our local classified papers which read - FOR SALE:Large chain saw, like new, $175. (and a phone number). So I waited till a decent hour of the morning and called the number. Turns out it is an Olympyk 970 that was about 2-3 years old and had hardly been used. The fella had cut up some firewood, the saw had been sitting for a while, and he had know need for it. Since I knew nothing about Olympyk saws, I did a quick search here on AS and found some good info and comments on the saw. When I found out what size the 970 was (71 cc - which I wanted), that it was a newer saw (1994 to 2000 - according to the acresinternet), and saw pictures of the current Efco saws - I decided that I'd try and get it. That evening, after work, I cut up part up of an old oak that was averaging 26" in diameter for the first 6 cuts - using my 260 and my brother-in-laws 029 both with 20" bars. Yep, it took a while, but I had very good reasons to want the 970 :D I gave my "reason's" for another saw to my wife :) that night, and called the next morning. It was still there, and about a hours worth of driving later, I had me a 'bigger' saw. I had wanted another Stihl (a used 044 or 038 Magnum), but didn't have the money. The $175 for the 71 cc Olympyk 970 was right for me at this time.
The compression feels good (I pulled the muffler and the piston and cylinder is clean), it starts good, idles good, and runs good. I made a cut with it, but the chain, although is basically new, needs a sharpening badly. It came with the 20" bar, and I think the chain is square chisel - I'll post some pictures of the chain so someone can help me identify it.
So here are some pictures of my saw "as was bought" condition. Did I do good for $175 ? I ask knowing that most folks here are diehard Stihl or Husky fans, but thought I would ask anyway. Not sure if these attachments will work.

View attachment 32148
View attachment 32149
View attachment 32150
View attachment 32151

I haven't had time to look it over and get familiar with the controls and dealing with the outboard clutch as far as changing bar and chains etc.(compared to my 260). I'm sure I'll have questions. I have a owner's manual on it's way to me.

Kevin

Last edited:
I re-attached the pictures. They should work now.

Kevin

Here are some more pictures of it.

View attachment 32152
View attachment 32153
View attachment 32154

Does anyone know where to go to find specific info on a saws serial number? The dealer I went through to order an owner's manual said that Efco couldn't get any info from the serial number. Is there truth to that? I was thinking about trying another dealer to see if I would get the same answer.
I believe AS member retoocs55 has a couple 970's. If he or anyone else has any info/comments on my saw that would be helpful, have at it :) .

Kevin

By the looks of it, you should go phone your local police and have them come arrest you because you stole that saw for $175. Barely broken in, minior scuffs on the sprocket cover. It may not be a Stihl or Husky, but you got a good saw for the money.

As already said, that is round chisel, almost looks like it was filed with an undersized file for the tooth though. You'll want to get some files of the correct size and clean it up, make it good and sharp and then you should see a significant improvement in the cutting.

I'm with the pig on that one. Get the right size file, and quite possibly a new chain to go with it, that one should be tagged for "dirty wood" or "sacrificial" to do bad things with if not just tossed. Maybe have it sharpened on a chain grinder, it would be hard work with a file.

Mark

TimberPig said:
It may not be a Stihl or Husky, but you got a good saw for the money.

That's the way I feel about it also. Maybe one day I'll get a Stihl of similar size, but for now, it'll do what I need it to do. Thanks for confirming that I did okay as for what I paid for the saw. By the looks of his house, yard and brand new Chev 1 ton dually sitting in his driveway, I'd say he isn't hurting financially. I think he just didn't need the saw and wanted to be rid of it. Actually, hope this doesn't offend anyone here, but I believe that God had my name on that saw. :)
As far as the chain goes, I'm going to take it to the local Stihl dealer for a sharpening. I'm also going to get a spare chain or 2, spare plug, some 7/32" files and a bar cover. Later on, if I see a need, I'll get a 24" bar and chain for it.

Kevin

Kevin, it bears a close resemblance to a Husky visually. And that saw won't really know what brand it is unless you tell it, so cut with it like it was a Stihl or a 'steal' and enjoy. Tom

West Texas said:
Kevin, it bears a close resemblance to a Husky visually. And that saw won't really know what brand it is unless you tell it, so cut with it like it was a Stihl or a 'steal' and enjoy. Tom

Thanks for that Tom. I've already got some 'bigger' wood lined up for my new toy...I mean tool...:D. I'll be taking it slow until I get used to the power over my 260. Seems like I got my chainsaw chaps just in time for using the 970.

Kevin

I run an 18" on one of my 970's and a 24" on the other. Both perform very well.

I've got a cranky oiler on one of my saws so check that out right off and make sure things are working right. Be carful not to bash your starter rewind cover, they break pretty easily.

Your saw is about 5 times nicer than either of mine. :clap: :clap: :clap: I'll give you $180 for it:cheers:

retoocs555 said:
I run an 18" on one of my 970's and a 24" on the other. Both perform very well.

I've got a cranky oiler on one of my saws so check that out right off and make sure things are working right. Be carful not to bash your starter rewind cover, they break pretty easily.

Your saw is about 5 times nicer than either of mine. :clap: :clap: :clap: I'll give you $180 for it:cheers:

I checked my oiler, and it seems to be working fine right now. Which brand of bar is your 24"? I see you sell Total parts - do you use their bars? I'll see if I get into some real big wood before I decide to get a 24" bar for mine. I haven't tried out my new saw properly(made one cut at the guy's house before buying), but I think I'm really gonna like it.:) Nice to know there's a fellow 970 owner here.:)

Kevin

West Texas said:
Kevin, it bears a close resemblance to a Husky visually. ....
:jawdrop: I respectfully disagree with that statement.
Neither design nor fit and finish is anywere near Pro Husky standards - the color is nice though.......
:greenchainsaw:

Here's mine. Should make you feel pretty good about how nice your 970 is:) :)

My 24" was an oregon, like the 18" I've got now but I wore that out and just stuck an old 20" on in the meantime. I actually haven't cut much since I cut my firewood for this season. I'll be at a new place with a new woodlot next winter.

I may try a 24" carlton from baileys, prices are pretty attractive on those close out bars.

The redder colored olympyks, like the mine on the right and yours were made towards the first few years of production. The orange ones, like mine on the left, towards the end. I think I have a '94 and a '99.

attachment.php

That chain looks like it was sharpened with a chain grinder running a 1/8" wheel for lo pro chain instead of the proper size wheel which is 3/16". I just sharpened some chisel chains in the same shape as that one, if not worse, took me awhile, but I got em in shape. thats why you let only someone who knows what the heck they're doing grind your chains for ya.

retoocs555 said:
Here's mine. Should make you feel pretty good about how nice your 970 is:) :)

My 24" was an oregon, like the 18" I've got now but I wore that out and just stuck an old 20" on in the meantime. I actually haven't cut much since I cut my firewood for this season. I'll be at a new place with a new woodlot next winter.

I may try a 24" carlton from baileys, prices are pretty attractive on those close out bars.

The redder colored olympyks, like the mine on the right and yours were made towards the first few years of production. The orange ones, like mine on the left, towards the end. I think I have a '94 and a '99.

Your pair of 970's are seasoned. Seasoned means experience - which is good.:)
How did your 970 do with the 24" bar? Did you run full-skip chain? I just had a quick look at the closeout bars (24") at Bailey's, but didn't see any specifically marked for the 970's. Can a Husky mount bar (or any other brand saw) be put on the 970? Just curious for a future purchase of a 24" bar for my 970. Thanks for the info on the production dates. My saw has '1995' printed over the serial number.
Kinda off topic, but how do you attach the actual picture to your post (as well as the link)?

Kevin

Lawn Masters said:
That chain looks like it was sharpened with a chain grinder running a 1/8" wheel for lo pro chain instead of the proper size wheel which is 3/16". I just sharpened some chisel chains in the same shape as that one, if not worse, took me awhile, but I got em in shape. thats why you let only someone who knows what the heck they're doing grind your chains for ya.

In a few days I'll be taking the chain to a local Stihl dealer to have them sharpen it. I've got to order a spare or 2. Would like to get a spare for dirty wood and another for clean stuff.

Kevin

KMB<

That saws a beaut! Id have snatched it up in a heart beat!

Ive used the olympiks before and they are a good saw. A word of warning....dont run them dry on fuel or you could burn it up. The ones ive used had the tendency to rev higher right before they run dry.

Ill give ya $200+shipping.

Sprig said:
Nice scoop! Now get back to the woodpile!

:greenchainsaw:

Cheers and enjoy, I think ya did good! :D

Was away for the weekend. Got my owner's manual today, so I'll be looking it over. I like to know about my power equipment before using. You're absolutely right about getting back to cutting wood. I have wood waiting, just not the time :mad:. I've got another crazy busy week ahead of me, but next week should be slower.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back