My new toys and opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Broke down and bought some new toys, after reviews here and seeing them at TCIA in Baltimore.
The Stihl 441 is a great saw, love the anti-vibe and it has very distinct sound in my opinion. Only thing that I can't figure out is why Stihl made the air filter so hard to get to. Old style with the nut built into the cover was tool- less and so easy to use and change in the field. Now you need a screwdriver to flip the locks and I can see problems with that black wing-nut getting lost in pile of leaves or chips somewhere. That being my only complaint I will keep the saw:)
The Dolmar PS 3410 TH was a chance purchase to compete or dare I say replace my MS200, climbing saw. I like the sloped handle design better than the stihl. The carb mount up front away from the handle leaves a lot more room in the handle for my paws. I like the anti -vibe in this saw also, less feedback from the motor at the handle. As for power, I have made a few cuts and it feels as fast as the stihl, have not tried to bury it in any wood yet, going to run a few more tanks through it first. Has nice balance and a much easier pull cord starter than the stihl also, also has a nice solid ring to tie into on a saddle. Test will be on some bigger wood and long term usage, it does look promising from the start.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lakeside53 said:
The clip theory is that you don't need to open them very much, and a real tight seal is required..

I understand the next generation of stihl saws are going to have advanced air filtration, but the 361 design has a tool-less air filter cover, but the 441 does not. I wrote a letter to Stihl Inc. about it, don't expect a response, but I could not help myself. :bowdown: I will order an extra wing nut to keep in the tool box. Like I said this is my only complaint about the saw, I will still keep it. :)

Dada:

Not sure I understand... the 361 is loose box fit with the air source around the box. If the turbo filtration cover isn't tight on the 441, the dust gets sucked in from unclean air sources. The 441 is the next generation filtration system. Am I missing something?

I hear the same complaint in the store when customers first buy the 441, but most now tell me that they "peek under that cover a little too often," and now just dust off the pre-filter about once a week. I don't mind the clips, but I want a bigger finger dents in the case so I can open them easier with cold or greasy hands.

You've owned many saws - how does the 441 stack up performance wise?

Does Dolmar actually manufacture that top handle saw? It looks very similar to the Efco and somewhat similar Oleomacs that I used to have.

Lakeside53 said:
The clip theory is that you don't need to open them very much, and a real tight seal is required..

Sounds logic, with a filter system copied from Husky etc....:greenchainsaw:

Once a day should be more than sufficient.....

Lakeside53 said:
Dada:

Not sure I understand... the 361 is loose box fit with the air source around the box. If the turbo filtration cover isn't tight on the 441, the dust gets sucked in from unclean air sources. The 441 is the next generation filtration system. Am I missing something?
I thought all the new style saws had the next generation air flow system, my mistake, I see the differences in the two.
I hear the same complaint in the store when customers first buy the 441, but most now tell me that they "peek under that cover a little too often," and now just dust off the pre-filter about once a week. I don't mind the clips, but I want a bigger finger dents in the case so I can open them easier with cold or greasy hands.

Glad I am not alone on the cover, I understand the air box has to be kept sealed, I think this could have been achieved with a screw type cover, would not take much to modify the new cover, drill a hole, rubber gasket around the attached nut, I know cleaning that filter in the field is going to end up with some lost wing nuts.
You've owned many saws - how does the 441 stack up performance wise?

The first thing I notice on it is the anti-vibe, it is MUCH improved, saw has a quick trigger response also. Have to run a few more tanks through it also to really break it in and get a good feel for it. I asked my dealer about a factory dual muffler, said "no way not happening". I will wait and see. :)

Update on the dolmar 3410, ran 2 tanks thru it today in the air on some oak and pine. The saw seems to be getting stronger, I am very impressed with the light weight and torque. Saw cut very well in 12" dead white oak logs, even when I put some pressure on the bar it keeps digging. Pine was live and sappy and the saw was throwing great chips. Really like the handle design, much more comfortable than the ms200t. I was able to attach my bungee laynard directly to the top handle and still had plenty of room to grip the saw. Saw was a bit rough to get started cold, and the choke is very sensitive, slightest tap of the trigger disengages the clutch. After the saw was warm it started with 1/2 pull every time. Looking forward to testing it some bigger wood, but right now its a keeper. :)

Ran the 441 again for a while also, Probably all have heard it but it really is a great saw, amazing throttle response, ran a tank thru it today blocking up some wood and my hands and arms felt great with the new anti-vibe, you really can't feel this saw running, another keeper:)

Dadatwins said:
Update on the dolmar 3410, ran 2 tanks thru it today in the air on some oak and pine. The saw seems to be getting stronger, I am very impressed with the light weight and torque. Saw cut very well in 12" dead white oak logs, even when I put some pressure on the bar it keeps digging. Pine was live and sappy and the saw was throwing great chips. Really like the handle design, much more comfortable than the ms200t. I was able to attach my bungee laynard directly to the top handle and still had plenty of room to grip the saw. Saw was a bit rough to get started cold, and the choke is very sensitive, slightest tap of the trigger disengages the clutch. After the saw was warm it started with 1/2 pull every time. Looking forward to testing it some bigger wood, but right now its a keeper. :)

Ran the 441 again for a while also, Probably all have heard it but it really is a great saw, amazing throttle response, ran a tank thru it today blocking up some wood and my hands and arms felt great with the new anti-vibe, you really can't feel this saw running, another keeper:)
Glad you are enjoying your 441. It is such a fine saw.:cheers:

Back