My new truck and chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTreemonkey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well its been a couple of weeks and i figure its about time to let yall know hows its goin. Well the truck works great, i never thought and old asplundh truck would of been so taken care of. Changed all the oils, added water, changed plugs on the pony motor and havent had any problems. All tho i do have a couple of questions.. First on rpms, the w/c 17 chipper has a ford six clyinder on it and it sure does work good at 2300 rpms but that sure is reved up. what do yall run yalls at? Second the pistol grip on the bucket (xt-55) has that safety trigger on the bottom... I hate that thing im constonly having to let go and try it again. is this normal? can you take that damn thing off? And third, all the pins are tight, the only play the boom has is where the whole lift rotates at the truck. If you rotate it really fast back and forth you feel it but it dont seem bad. How much play do yalls have?

Well its been a couple of weeks and i figure its about time to let yall know hows its goin. Well the truck works great, i never thought and old asplundh truck would of been so taken care of. Changed all the oils, added water, changed plugs on the pony motor and havent had any problems. All tho i do have a couple of questions.. First on rpms, the w/c 17 chipper has a ford six clyinder on it and it sure does work good at 2300 rpms but that sure is reved up. what do yall run yalls at? Second the pistol grip on the bucket (xt-55) has that safety trigger on the bottom... I hate that thing im constonly having to let go and try it again. is this normal? can you take that damn thing off? And third, all the pins are tight, the only play the boom has is where the whole lift rotates at the truck. If you rotate it really fast back and forth you feel it but it dont seem bad. How much play do yalls have?

The play is probably gear lash which is ok but have someone rotate
and check to see if rotation gear box moves! I have seen them get loose
and if they do jut take tie wire off tighten and replace tie wire with new.
Also sometimes the gear is separate and keyed to shaft and the key way wears this problem needs to be fixed as if key sheers you can free wheel! As far as the chipper I would have to dig around
for the settings I think mine was set at about that though. The
governor adjustment is the main thing it needs to kick in when
chipper starts to load. It should windup and then settle back if no load is put on it. I will try to dig up my specs if someone else
does not chime in!

Last edited:
Keep the trigger, it may save your life one day. The last thing you need is a twig or limb jammed into the control and the boom moving on it's own.

I had that happen once at my last job they did not want to fix
it and a limb got wedged on the raise and I holler and my groundman killed
the truck! I called management told them it needed fixed for the second time and finally got a new microswitch! Limb was no bigger
than my wrist and rolled off lower limbs onto bed!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back