My old man wants a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgreenman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey, since ive been cutting up some wood with my new saw my grand father wants a new one too. He really wants a great top handle saw but I havent really found much here on AS. He wants it to be easy to start and light weight I told him they would all be light weight. So which Echo, Stihl, or Husqvarna top handle(s) saw has great power (for what they are) and are easy to start. Price is not a problem. Thanks post away.:popcorn:

The new Echo 355 sounds very promising. Price/power wise and as far as I have understood they are usually very easy to start. Something I find more important than "this brand that brand" game!

Top handle saws sure are light and handy, but most importantly they are more dangerous especially on the ground, all my close calls involve a top handle saw in thick branches on the ground, yeah it was nice to have a little saw to climb over and through limbs but the compactness of the saw puts that spinning chain closer to meat. I think a premium set of full length full wrap chaps, anti cut shirt, gloves, anti cut boots, and helmet with full face shield would be more important that what saw is purchased. I no longer run top handle saws because I have to provide for my family, I would leave the top handle saws to the pro's in the tops of the trees and get a nice light rear handle saw, I personally use a Echo cs400 and a Stihl ms260 pro.

Hey, since ive been cutting up some wood with my new saw my grand father wants a new one too. He really wants a great top handle saw but I havent really found much here on AS. He wants it to be easy to start and light weight I told him they would all be light weight. So which Echo, Stihl, or Husqvarna top handle(s) saw has great power (for what they are) and are easy to start. Price is not a problem. Thanks post away.:popcorn:

A stihl 201T is very easy to start.

Top handle saws sure are light and handy, but most importantly they are more dangerous especially on the ground, all my close calls involve a top handle saw in thick branches on the ground, yeah it was nice to have a little saw to climb over and through limbs but the compactness of the saw puts that spinning chain closer to meat. I think a premium set of full length full wrap chaps, anti cut shirt, gloves, anti cut boots, and helmet with full face shield would be more important that what saw is purchased. I no longer run top handle saws because I have to provide for my family, I would leave the top handle saws to the pro's in the tops of the trees and get a nice light rear handle saw, I personally use a Echo cs400 and a Stihl ms260 pro.

I was about to say something similar.

OP, is there a specific reason your pop's wants a top handle? Or does he just want something "small and light"? Because Jim hit the nail on the head. While small and light, top handles are not the best ground saws. If there is no specific need for an actual climber saw, push him towards a small ground saw, like an MS250 or Husky 435 or something like that.

No one would like to see a guy get hurt by something preventable, especially an old-timer.

If he DOES have a specific need for a climber saw, then by all means, find an MS200T, as stated by someone else above.

I'd go with a ms201. It's the rear handle version of the top handle MS201t. Light, compact and handles very well. Husky has the 339xp, a rear handle based on their top handle and Echo makes a few small rear handles too. The ms192 would work as well, needs a muffler mod to be a respectable cutter though.

Latest posts

Back