My OWB install Job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at your pic on where it comes through the wall....maybe you could release it from the bracket holding on to the wall to allow for some movement? My lines are not the foam filled pipe, but it is the wrapped pipe which is loose in the 4" pipe which I think will allow it to move a lot more. I'm at 95' also, so I think you will be less than the 1' expansion I had. I would prepare for the most movement but would guess that the dealer is right on your application expanding a little. Sorry for alarming you, I just don't want that good work you did twisted up is all.

That sounds like a great idea. I will do that and see what happens.

Thank You for informing me on this possible problem.

I didn't mean to alarm you either. Just wanted to help. Let us know how it goes.

I really appreciate your observation. I will let you know what happens when I get it up and running.

It is snowing really hard out there today. I doubt I will get anything done around here but plow snow.

Question from a newby...never dealt with an OWB....

Why do you guys put them so far from the house? Keep the mess on the other side of the yard?

If it were me, I would put the thing on the porch! No tudging 100 yards for heat!

Question from a newby...never dealt with an OWB....

Why do you guys put them so far from the house? Keep the mess on the other side of the yard?

If it were me, I would put the thing on the porch! No tudging 100 yards for heat!

The reason I am putting mine 110 ft from the house is I want the fire and smoke as far away as posssible without to much heat loss. And I try to keep a nice lawn so the farther the better for me. Thats just me though.

I took many things into consideration when I located mine 75' away.

1. Prevailing wind direction.
2. Access and wood storage.
3. Aesthetics.

I mostly didn't want smoke blowing toward the house.

I built a 12'x20' addition to my shop and put just the front 6" in through the wall and the rest sticking outside. That way I'm not weather beaten loading it with the wood that is stored in the addition. It just so happens to be 95' away....actual straight line measurement is closer to 75', but I went around my trees in the yard. I don't think I would want it any closer though really as the smoke smells like a house fire the next day after it was put out.

We put mine on the side that was easiest to run the PEX into the basement, and the distance, 65', was based on common wind direction for keeping the smoke from bothering us, close to the driveway for wood dumps, and a nice level spot. I can visit the stove from the garage upstairs or the basement and its not a bad walk in the mornings.

snow_stove_480.jpg

ICreek, I would love to be able to leave wood outside like that and be able to find it again. We are getting killed with snow, any wood I left outside hasn't been seen since the middle of November. I placed my OWB beside my existing shed and I fill the shed either by pitching it off my flat rack wagon or using the tractor and loader to pile it as high as possible. No stacking for me, I just line the inside walls with pallets to not damage the steel siding. I have a fairly long run, likely 200ft to the house - prevailing winds and the location of the existing shed were determining factors. I got the shed loaded up pretty well this winter so it has been a piece of cake loading the owb, no mucking around digging wood out of the snow.

ICreek, I would love to be able to leave wood outside like that and be able to find it again.

Yeah we don't have the snows like we used to in the late 70s and early 80s. When it calls for snow I have a trailer that is loaded below the back deck, hook up my 4 wheeler and drive it to the stove, leaving it there covered. Some day I will build a wood cover shed, wife just is not sure about the look, can't be worse than wood everywhere :)

I enjoy seeing pics and hearing stories about the members that are north and the weather, makes me appreciate the milder winters in the mid-west. Be safe.

Great looking install. I haven't noticed much expansion although I have pex running free across my basement w/ plenty of room for movement. I stopped the 4" insulated line at the basement wall and continued w/ the pex about 40' to take up any expansion. Also does well w/ keeping the basement heated since this is the only heat in that area of the house. Keeps it a warm 74 or so. Mine is 130' or so from my house to also minimize smoke and due to location of my barn. Put the boiler next to the barn to hide the woodpile behind the barn under a lean to.

That is a beautiful job. I used the Thermopex from CB and I did not notice any expansion. It is the same type stuff with the foam filled inside. I am surprised you didn't get thermopex from your CB dealer instead of that other brand. (Probably made at the same place.) The way I came through the cellar wall and put 90 degree elbows and went right into my sidearm I probably would not notice any expansion anyway. I don't think there are 2 installs that are the same and we all face different challenges. That foam encapsulated PEX makes for a serious wrestling match that is the same on all installs ! ! ! Good luck with the rest of the install I finished mine in October and we love our unit so far. I fill it with wood daily and empty ash monthly then chuckle when the gas trucks go by.
:cheers:

Last edited:
My stove finally arrived this afternoon.:) It turned out to a bigger job setting it on the pad than what I expected. I had 3 rows of wood stacked in front of my pad and that was in the way. He had to back in at an angle and then let the stove down. We then had to use a couple come-a-longs ( one on his truck and another one to a pine tree) to get it in place properly. Thank goodness it worked out ok and nothing was damaged. I will get the pump and power installed tomorrow and it will be ready to fire. I will wait untill this weekend to fire it up because we are heading downstate Christmas Day.

what no flashlight?

My stove finally arrived this afternoon.:) It turned out to a bigger job setting it on the pad than what I expected. I had 3 rows of wood stacked in front of my pad and that was in the way. He had to back in at an angle and then let the stove down. We then had to use a couple come-a-longs ( one on his truck and another one to a pine tree) to get it in place properly. Thank goodness it worked out ok and nothing was damaged. I will get the pump and power installed tomorrow and it will be ready to fire. I will wait untill this weekend to fire it up because we are heading downstate Christmas Day.

Heck I would be out there wiring and plumbing with my wheat light. I would have it filled up and fired by midnight.. But that is just me..

That is a beautiful job. I used the Thermopex from CB and I did not notice any expansion. It is the same type stuff with the foam filled inside. I am surprised you didn't get thermopex from your CB dealer instead of that other brand. (Probably made at the same place.) The way I came through the cellar wall and put 90 degree elbows and went right into my sidearm I probably would not notice any expansion anyway. I don't think there are 2 installs that are the same and we all face different challenges. That foam encapsulated PEX makes for a serious wrestling match that is the same on all installs ! ! ! Good luck with the rest of the install I finished mine in October and we love our unit so far. I fill it with wood daily and empty ash monthly then chuckle when the gas trucks go by.
:cheers:

I used the Logstor stuff because that is what my CB sold. I think it may be bigger diameter than Thermopex because standard pex fittings were to small. It was a BIGTIME wrestling match getting that stuff in the ground. Hopefully there will be little expansion.

It will be a great feeling watching the gas truck go by.

Whats pretty funny is I work for a natural gas utility company but we only have propane available in my area.

Oh come on!!!!! It's got to be killing you!!! I did install mine last Friday in 5 degree and 20mph winds which really sucked!!! Good move, you have more control than I had!! :cheers:

Hot or cold

Oh come on!!!!! It's got to be killing you!!! I did install mine last Friday in 5 degree and 20mph winds which really sucked!!! Good move, you have more control than I had!! :cheers:

Did most of my install this Summer, VERY HOT !!! For some reason we save these things for the extremes. Still, when your hot it's just uncomfortable.... when you're cold it HURTS !!! I love my CB, I put some big old hickory rounds in about an hour ago...will be good untill about 9 AM. It was 6F here this AM
but only going to 22F tonight. :clap:

It is hard for me not to go out there and work on it tonight but I did go out there a few times to just to look at it. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Looks good, Wolf. You were lucky to get it in before the big snow hit.

Back