My OWB install Job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard for me not to go out there and work on it tonight but I did go out there a few times to just to look at it. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Wait till you get er fired up if She thinks your crazy now! :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm sure you'll find yourself looking at that CB alot for awhile, that'll go away in a couple of years after you get the "curve" down. Set and forget it.. WOOT!

Great looking install! :cheers:

It is hard for me not to go out there and work on it tonight but I did go out there a few times to just to look at it. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

They just don't understand. My wife keeps asking me "why do you keep looking out at the boiler?" After a week, I just can't quit doing it. It will wear off in time I'm sure.

Well, did you get it fired up yet? As far as looking out at the boiler, it will subside, but you will do it and even more so after you start it up. You will like seeing the smoke coming out of the stack knowing that you are no longer stuffing money into to the utility company's pockets. Self sufficiency is a great feeling. :clap:

Looks like a nice unit, I like the hinged access panels. On my CB I have to remove screws to take the covers off, I have popped the 1 amp fuse for the damper solenoid a couple times and of course it is in the nastiest weather. I think the damper actually iced up and froze shut, causing the fuse to blow.

No I did'nt fire it up yet. I have to make a trip downstate for christmas and will be gone for a few days. I did not want to start it up and then leave it unatended and worry about it. Probably looking at sunday.

Nice! You'll like that 6048, it's the newer version of the 5648 I have. The only real diff is a few more gallons of water and they made the side cover flare out for more plumbing room. I made a bigger lower cover to make room for the 3 sets of pipe I have coming into mine. Once you get it all tuned in, get yourself a piece of pink insulation to put over your pump and fittings for extra protection!

I used some quick burning pine to get mine going. I sweated alot as the water heated up and almost put my fire out. It is a wonderful feeling as that thing is lighting up for the first time enjoy.

:cheers:

Ok I Just got back from my trip and I am going to fire this baby up tomorrow morning. Got any tips for a Maiden voyage?:rockn:

When you get that puppy burning with kindling make sure when you go to put real wood on it that the flames don't kick out at you when you go to throw it in......Believe me I learned (shorter eyebrow and lashes) as I was used to the top of the firebox above the door on regular stoves where mine is level (or close) to the top. Of course you will be looking at it for a few days. As soon as I saw 145 degrees I turned off my oil heat. You will probably have water coming out as it expands and self levels. Keep us updated.:cheers:

Last edited:
No I did'nt fire it up yet. I have to make a trip downstate for christmas and will be gone for a few days. I did not want to start it up and then leave it unatended and worry about it. Probably looking at sunday.

Use pallets. They will burn fast to get the water up to temp and make a good coal bed for the real wood.

I think WOlf

has had the boiler so long the new has worn off.. LOL Man I do not understand how someone could be so patient.. Not me.. I would have had it lit as sson as the guy was backing it up to the slab.. LOL

Ok I Just got back from my trip and I am going to fire this baby up tomorrow morning. Got any tips for a Maiden voyage?:rockn:

Maybe the wolf lost power with the 200,000 Michigan homes that I read about in the paper. I guess Michigan had some major wind and winter storms go through Sunday. Hope all is well for him.

Well I finally got a chance to get on the computer before I hit the sack. Seems either my wife or kids had my PC tied up most of the day. The weather was pretty nasty here today but the power did'nt go out but it sure is windy. I fired up the OWB around 11am using 2x4's and some cedar siding and then added a few logs. I would say it took around 3 hours to get up to 185'f. It sure did smoke alot at first but the smoke let up after around 6 hours.

I was worried about expansion on my pipes coming into the basement. I measured them before I fired it up and they have expanded only 1/16th. I will check that again tomorrow. I put in 14 logs around 6-8inch and 24 long at 11:30 tonight so we shall see how long they last.

I also added temperature gauges at the stove to monitor the temp difference between the stove and the house.

What I have observed so far when the house is not calling for heat and the stove is at it's set point.

185 supply at the stove and 180 at the house. 110ft.
183 return at the stove and 180 at the house.

It looks like I am losing 5 degrees on the supply but picking up 3 degrees going back to the stove.

Anyways I have turned off my propane and I am now enjoying free heat.:clap: Now I got to get the rest of my wood cut this week while I am off work. :chainsawguy:

Awesome!!

Thanks for taking the time to document your install.

As for the return temp of 183, I think it is due to the cooler water mixing with the hotter water in the OWB. If you measure the temp in the line before it hits the unit it will be cooler. With the immersion thermostat you are getting a false reading. To get a more accurate reading, you will have to take the reading several inches before you are at the wood boiler.

HTH

Glenn

Nice job on the install,and documentation. I can't beleive how easy you were able to hand dig your trench.It took me 5 hrs to go 65 ft here with a woods 750 backhoe,its so rocky,also had to hand dig 12 ft past my existing oil tanks,which took another 4 hrs. A relative of mine has 2 6048's and loves them,one at his home, and one at his farm. I should have went with one for my house as well.

Looks Good Nice and Shiney chimney I hope you plan to keep it polished in your spare time.

I couldn't figure out how the ( what I thought was) blue water spiget in one picture was not in the second picture. Then I figured it out you moved the torch you started the fire with.

Nice bank of trees in the background. :)

Wow 1/16" that is awesome!!! It is a pretty good feeling to not have the "other" system kick on. Nice job, you deserve to reap the benefits.:cheers:

Back