My Situation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueatlascedar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I feel compelled to share with you guys, my situation. I came to AS just a few weeks ago and have already felt like I know some of you guys. I began tree care in Jan. 1980 where I worked for a large local tree company. In 1983, I broke out on my own and ran that business until 2003. In the fall of 2002, my back pain became extremely unbearable. I've had many years of back pain like most of you all in here. I kept putting it off to many years of brutal hard tree work. Then my legs quit working and my wife had to help me dress and lace the boots every morning. I knew something was becoming seriously wrong. My work began to suffer as I could barely work half days. I would cut wood from my knees cause it hurt too much to bend over, or I would use my 084 with 36" bar so I didn't have to bend too much. Finally I gave into my wife and doctor and went for the MRI. Two days later my doctor asked my wife to drive me to the hospital. Seemed I had 2 ruptured disks, my L4 & L5 were blown apart and impinging several nerves in my back. After a 10 day stint in the hospital they did a 5 hour surgery to fuse my 2 vertebrae into one. Also bone was trimmed in areas that had became mangled from continuing to work with the 2 blown discs. Long story short, I just couldn't productively continue with my tree service that I had spent my career building. It was dissected and sold and I went to school for the next year. I wanted to remain in arborculture, but was limited to sales for the big guys and that didn't seem like anything I wanted to do. It has been several years since I climbed every day, but now after much therapy and using common sense I can do some minor tree work and I still consult for a local Allstate insurance agency on storm damage and injured and dying trees. I am working full time in an office capacity, but not arborculture. I can't stress how badly I miss the biz and reading the threads in here has almost made me forget the heartbrokeness of having to move on. I wanted to be square and upfront with you guys so you know where I'm at. Though I'm not grunting in the field everyday, I know the good, bad and uglies you are dealing with and only put my 2 cents in on threads were I feel I can add anything. Many people I still deal with and see all the time call me treeman and honestly it's hard to hold back the tears about all this. So this is my situation and I hope you guys will allow me to continue to chime in where I feel I can add value to a thread.

I feel compelled to share with you guys, my situation. I came to AS just a few weeks ago and have already felt like I know some of you guys. I began tree care in Jan. 1980 where I worked for a large local tree company. In 1983, I broke out on my own and ran that business until 2003. In the fall of 2002, my back pain became extremely unbearable. I've had many years of back pain like most of you all in here. I kept putting it off to many years of brutal hard tree work. Then my legs quit working and my wife had to help me dress and lace the boots every morning. I knew something was becoming seriously wrong. My work began to suffer as I could barely work half days. I would cut wood from my knees cause it hurt too much to bend over, or I would use my 084 with 36" bar so I didn't have to bend too much. Finally I gave into my wife and doctor and went for the MRI. Two days later my doctor asked my wife to drive me to the hospital. Seemed I had 2 ruptured disks, my L4 & L5 were blown apart and impinging several nerves in my back. After a 10 day stint in the hospital they did a 5 hour surgery to fuse my 2 vertebrae into one. Also bone was trimmed in areas that had became mangled from continuing to work with the 2 blown discs. Long story short, I just couldn't productively continue with my tree service that I had spent my career building. It was dissected and sold and I went to school for the next year. I wanted to remain in arborculture, but was limited to sales for the big guys and that didn't seem like anything I wanted to do. It has been several years since I climbed every day, but now after much therapy and using common sense I can do some minor tree work and I still consult for a local Allstate insurance agency on storm damage and injured and dying trees. I am working full time in an office capacity, but not arborculture. I can't stress how badly I miss the biz and reading the threads in here has almost made me forget the heartbrokeness of having to move on. I wanted to be square and upfront with you guys so you know where I'm at. Though I'm not grunting in the field everyday, I know the good, bad and uglies you are dealing with and only put my 2 cents in on threads were I feel I can add anything. Many people I still deal with and see all the time call me treeman and honestly it's hard to hold back the tears about all this. So this is my situation and I hope you guys will allow me to continue to chime in where I feel I can add value to a thread.

That's rough, man. I got no beef with you, stick around by all means. I hope our stories, pics, videos, bickering, etc. help you to remember your glory days!:cheers:

That's rough, man. I got no beef with you, stick around by all means. I hope our stories, pics, videos, bickering, etc. help you to remember your glory days!:cheers:

It has brought back more memories than you can imagine brother :clap:

The guy that taught me to climb is in the same boat. Though he graves to get up in the tree now and again it is too hard on his body. He still works with me alot on jobs mainly as my eye on the ground but on occasion he will ask to get up in the tree. Truly amazing to watch work but the pain he is in after is hard to even watch. I will tell you this. I absolutely love having him on jobs and appreciate his help more then he would even know. I do try to take pretty good care of him money wise when I can, he is worth every penny.

I guess my point of the story is that knowing how much I appreciate his opinion and help I am sure yours will be accepted as well in here. Good luck and look forward to your posts.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive feedback. I guess one downside to where I'm at, currently; friends and associates now expect me to advise and consult tree's for free, since I sold the biz and semi retired from it :chainsaw:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive feedback. I guess one downside to where I'm at, currently; friends and associates now expect me to advise and consult tree's for free, since I sold the biz and semi retired from it :chainsaw:

From working in a garage, i can tell ya knowledge isn't free....... although it usually is. I'm sure there's alot of people on here that would take any advice your willing to give. Welcome to the site.

welcome to the site.
Sorry to hear about your rough times.
Theirs a lot of great guys here to share stories and give advice with.
Matt

Tough thing to bear, I feel for ya. On the good side, you haven't lost what made you a genuine treeman, the desire. Hope I and others can learn from your experiences.

Thank you men for all the kind and encouraging words! They are appreciated. I do love trees and the work. I've always felt us treemen are a different breed than all other skilled trades. We tend to be a tad arrogant and seem to love to bust on each other from time to time, but in a pinch, many times we'll pull together to help a brother out!

Thank you men for all the kind and encouraging words! They are appreciated. I do love trees and the work. I've always felt us treemen are a different breed than all other skilled trades. We tend to be a tad arrogant and seem to love to bust on each other from time to time, but in a pinch, many times we'll pull together to help a brother out!

Amen to that.

friends and associates now expect me to advise and consult tree's for free, since I sold the biz and semi retired from it :chainsaw:
So start a consulting business, and when asked just give them your card and your rates. :)

I focused on consulting when i felt myself getting older, and sold more non-climbing work like root work and shrubs. now at 59 i'm climbing more because it is too much fun! and my helpers can't get out to where the right cuts are... Anyway, I hope you rebound and get back out there. the trees need good tree people!

So start a consulting business, and when asked just give them your card and your rates. :)

I focused on consulting when i felt myself getting older, and sold more non-climbing work like root work and shrubs. now at 59 i'm climbing more because it is too much fun! and my helpers can't get out to where the right cuts are... Anyway, I hope you rebound and get back out there. the trees need good tree people!

I have given this much thought over the past few years since selling my tree service business. The insurance gigs are few and far between and my area is hard to sell consulting work on a regular business. You wouldn't believe how many tree services around here still top trees on a regular basis. This area almost seems prehistoric if you go by ISA guidelines in treecare. I remember refusing a lot of work because the customer insisted on topping or overly hard thinning. People seem to think that if you didn't create a mountain of brush, they weren't getting their money's worth. So to sum it all up, I'd be hard pressed to make a living at it, but my mind is always on the trees and outdoors. I constantly find myself starring up the canopy of trees looking at where I'd tie in and rig this line and that line. The company I'm now working for is experiencing hard times with this economy and I may be forced to change gears again. Then I might just might seriously pursue something along those lines. Thanks again for your inputs!

There you go.:cheers: where is Pa you out of?

Sorry to hear your story blue. Forced retirement is ugly enough but to be forced out of climbing altogether is far worse.

Keep posting mate. Your 20 years of hard earned knowledge is going to help a lot of climbers.

I will contribute in a positive any way I can. This forum has at least given me the chance to stay plug in to the industry I've always loved and admire those who endure this tough way to make a living on a daily basis.

I'm sure you will be a big help to others on here. I do more reading on here than anythin fir the past 3 years ive been here its like reading the newspaper every day. There are some great guys on here I know and havent met most of them. welcome!

Back