My splitter project!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, single detent on both tied spools, not on the single. But like I said I have the re-seal kit and can split them:biggrinbounce2:
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Yep, single detent on both tied spools, not on the single. But like I said I have the re-seal kit and can split them:biggrinbounce2:
Andy

Hmmm if they have an adjustable pressure setting you can plumb them in as a auto cycle valve.

DDM said:
Hmmm if they have an adjustable pressure setting you can plumb them in as a auto cycle valve.

I will stop you there, I know where this is going!!! I already lost half of my left thumb a little over a year ago from a mitre saw, so the answer is NO!!!!!
(Did you not see the size of this thing?)
Andy

auto cycle valve,....

David,..thank you for replying 2 the auto cycle valve,.I see you have knowledge in that as well,..Ive been holding off on completing my new splitter until I can afford to buy the prince auto cycle valve, $250.00 ...I have hydraulics up the yng yag... I think I have at least 1 tandem unit with an adjustable pressure section,...Iam not sure If it is casted into the valve or a modular section,..If you would please explain 2 us .How to make an auto cycle valve out of a std tandem unit , and do both need to have detents ?..Thanks Eric

Well, life goes on if you want it to or not..........................

It splits wood!!! I had a wiring snafu that hosed the throttle cable, wires shorted out and used the cable for a gound, my bad! The cylinder leaks like a pig, I will have to reseal it. I plumbed the control valve wrong, ten minuete fix, but hyd fluid everwhere!!! But it SPLITS WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The motor doesn't even bog with Hedge or Oak!!! Not sureabout the 4 way yet, seems to get a lot of wood wedged under the four way, easy eoung to clean out, but........

For those thinking about building one on thier own, I say don't!! I bought the hoses yesterday, dude told me $400 should do it. I went to lunch. Came back, he had everything laid out, we had to change a couple of things, no biggie. He started crimping them and another kid rang me up. He started flipping out "Man this is expensive!!!" I asked what do you mean, the other guy told me $400? "Man, I am up to $776, and have more to add!!" I got lucky, the total was $447 after they worked thier magic. You might not get that lucky!!!! There is NO CHEAP WAY TO DO THIS!!! We have well over $2000 in this beast, and a LOT of it was FREEBIES!!!!!!

yeah I know for my splitter I have dang near $2,000 in it already and I still have not got the hose yet, and of course I want aeroquip hose like I use at work :) I bet it will be another 650+ to get it all the lines going where they need to. I have 2 valves 2 variable speed controls, 2 rams, engine oil lines, and turbo lines.... oh and I ran out of free steel more $ to spent.....

I still say build your own splitter if you want something better, and love tinkering and fabricating. For the $ I dont think I could buy a splitter like the one I am building with hand start, electric start, lights, hyd oil tank bypass (to heat oil in winter) alot of ground clearance built like a tank....

but I say NO to any1 who just wants to split wood, its cheeper to buy a used one, but you got to deal with the designs weaknesses.

I hoped to have video up tonight, but other more important things have occupied my time.
If you want Aeroquip hoses you'd better plan on $2k!!!!!! I had priced it before hand.

You are right, what we were looking at was $10k, I am way under that. But there is NO CHEAP home made splitter to be had!!!!

Glad I didn't go with the box wedge I had planned on. Makes like five pieces at once, I am having problems with wood getting stuck under the four way wedges. Not a biggie, the next piece pushes it out and away. I can't imagine if you had a chunk get hung up in the box. Things to consider when designing.

Glad to hear it's alive Andy. Kudos! :cheers:

It's funny in a sad way but I acuired used hose and planned all my fittings to use one of the ends that was already on the hose. My hose bill still came to dang near $150 by the time I had it fitted.

I've wondered how those box wedges are designed. I just can't picture it in my mind no matter how many times I look at timberwolf's webpage. :greenchainsaw:

The boxes are fanned. The "open up" as the wood goes through. Narow at the front, then widen at the back. The top is flat, but watch the video and you will see that the bottom drops down. Clever design I must say, but I have seen a home built version, and after talking to the owner, decided against it. I even had it drawn up on CAD!!!

The boxes are fanned. The "open up" as the wood goes through. Narow at the front, then widen at the back. The top is flat, but watch the video and you will see that the bottom drops down. Clever design I must say, but I have seen a home built version, and after talking to the owner, decided against it. I even had it drawn up on CAD!!!

Probably wouldn't split a knotty piece very well eh?

Someday I'm going to redo my splitter and I was thinking about putting one of 'em on it.

No, that was how it was explained to me, "It will split straight grained wood all day long, but throw in some hedge or a knoty twisty peice, and you are out there with a sledge hammer for an hour!" He also had six 1" bolts holding it together on the back, that was the weak link on his!!! That is also the reason I made my four way removable, if I get into a twisty peice, I can pull the wings and split it down, then put the wings on for the next piece.
I haven't tested it as much as I would like, just some seasoned Oak 16" rounds, and a little hedge 12-14" rounds. Didn't seem to phase it. If it quits raining, I will run out to the wood lot and find something more challenging.

I started to have my hydraulic hoses made by a hydraulic shop but after paying $34.50 for one 22 inch 3/4" I found the local farm supply store had the same rated hose for 1/3 the price. They only had 1/2 and 3/4 size hose up to 8 feet pre-made. Their fitting selection was limited but at $3 to $5 apiece compared to double that at the hydraulic store .

The smallest fitting on my splitter is a -16 JIC, the largest is -24 JIC, you don't buy that at a farm store, that was my problem.

lol I figured as much, trust me i know about scrounging..... when I built my first log splitter I crapped my pants when I was told $830 just in lines for everything I told them I would get back to them, never did because I bought my own crimper on ebay for $500 :laugh: and just buy all my hydraulic fittings from http://www.baileynet.com/ they half the price of any local hyd shop and on most things cheaper then surpluscenter if you buy by the "bag" of 50 usually

I have a guy that makes them off the truck, sells them to me at cost, problem is he just goes up to -14:monkey:

Sharpen your 4-way, the wing part like a chipper blade. 1 angle with the flat side down. And a little up angle on the back of the wings. That will keep from putting down force on the wood. Having a v shape wedge on the wings (2 angle cutting blade), forces the wood down and tries to jam it.

Back