my Stihl 031

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That warms my heart. I reverse engineered / came up with the wima fix around 7 years ago. My 031 still runs with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And thank you for that! I have another to do this spring, was thinking of an alternate location for the capacitor. Where I've been putting it works well, but it takes a little bit of grinding to make the capacitor fit in.

That would be my guess. Heat affects them at first, resulting in poor, intermittent spark. Which makes them run rough hot at first, before eventually failing. The beauty of this fix is that it will only cost you a dollar or two to try :)
Hard to tell, but most likely if your fuel delivery is proper. Set up correctly this repair will make an 031 fire up half way through a slow-ish pull.
Thanks for the fast reply and sorry for the slow response back. I'm going to give that a try, it's been sitting for quite a while so I may have to freshen up the fuel system also. Appreciate the help and I will keep you posted. My favorite part of these forums is keeping the oldies but goodies running.

I was given one of these saws a few days ago being told that it never started right and when it does it bogs down under load. It was my grandpas saw and if like to get it running again. Is this condenser to chip fix really as easy as it looks? I don't have much small engine experience

I was given one of these saws a few days ago being told that it never started right and when it does it bogs down under load. It was my grandpas saw and if like to get it running again. Is this condenser to chip fix really as easy as it looks? I don't have much small engine experience

yes, it's ridiculously easy!

Ok, I'm willing to try. What's the outlook on parts for this saw, should I be stocking up now? (recoil springs, carb kits, gasket kits)

Latest posts

Back