My Three point carry all project, its a Work in progress.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics look good to me. Both in size and construction of the carry all.

176546d1300539565-204342d1300400182-yet-another-carry-all-project-image-778155274-jpg

You're not doing anything wrong. Pics. are fine. Also, a fine looking carryall. It looks heavy. How much does it weigh?

Funny you should ask, I don't know how much it weights..But it was getting pretty heavy when I was building it I started wondering if my little 29 horse tractor could lift it empty... It does very easily at idle we will see when I fill it up though. It has a hitch on the back to pull my splitter.

Funny you should ask, I don't know how much it weights..But it was getting pretty heavy when I was building it I started wondering if my little 29 horse tractor could lift it empty... It does very easily at idle we will see when I fill it up though. It has a hitch on the back to pull my splitter.

It might be heavy, but it has to be to some extent. Firewood, being as heavy as it is, would make quick work of beating anything that is not as stout in construction. Let us know how things go when you got it loaded. Just be careful on sidehills and any other hills as a load in the back of that thing will have an influence on the handling of your machine.

I also like the idea of a hitch for the splitter. That's thinking.

That one is pretty

I have a larger one I built from oak and pressure treated, it's freekin heavy, I can't tip it over. But it goes on a 60 horse. I stop loading before the fork rating of 2000lbs is hit, I judge by feel in the front end, how much lift in first I get when I ease the clutch. I've used it so much now I know what I can carry or not by species, greeness or not, how much is stacked, etc.

On hills, reverse only with a load. We do big round bales here with the forks, around 1500 lbs, so with the tote box I try for that range to keep it safe. Rather make two trips then one trip and stuff busting.

I'm adding two attachments to it this summer, one, a sliding saw buck to fit the rails, so I can cut smaller logs and the pieces just drop in the box then (well, most of them), and, two, a slide-in elevated work platform for doing tree limbs down the pasture lines for cab clearance. I figure if I go one limb higher than I need, that should work for years. I have almost all the wood pieces scrounged for the work platform now, then just go get hardware. It will be sort of a po' man's boom truck thing then. Ya, I know most redneck arrangements like that revolve around some fool riding around in the bucket, but I want something I can go do by myself, and I don't want to be the fool in the bucket.

I did that once last fall in an excavator bucket and I *did not* like that at all.

I have been trying to figure out what this thing is rated for?

I would say the short answer to that is quite simply more than your tractor can lift and safely handle. That carryall is pretty rugged. Like Zogger said, reverse only up hills.

Good idea too, Zogger, on the 3pt work platform. How high will you be able to reach? We've all done the bucket thing. Like they say in the loader operators manual "working from the bucket is not as stable as one may think." LOL. Just don't do too much moving around. And, have someone in the tractor seat that you can trust.

Looks very well made. I too would be concerned about weight once loaded as well as your ability to keep the front wheels in contact with the ground. I would start with a small load to get a feel for how it handles and then add wood until you reach the maximum safe load range.

Since your image is already imbedded, you just need to display it. Open the picture, right click, copy "Copy image location" and then click on the "insert image" icon above the dialogue box (6th from right). When that opens, simply paste the URL there and click "OK" and the image should display.

176549d1300542208-204344d1300400243-yet-another-carry-all-project-image-2534322418-jpg

I would say the short answer to that is quite simply more than your tractor can lift and safely handle. That carryall is pretty rugged. Like Zogger said, reverse only up hills.

Good idea too, Zogger, on the 3pt work platform. How high will you be able to reach? We've all done the bucket thing. Like they say in the loader operators manual "working from the bucket is not as stable as one may think." LOL. Just don't do too much moving around. And, have someone in the tractor seat that you can trust.

--I'm shooting for around 12 foot or so, then with a pole saw higher. I want to make folding locking guard rails at the top so they can be dropped down for parking back in the barn.

--I'm shooting for around 12 foot or so, then with a pole saw higher. I want to make folding locking guard rails at the top so they can be dropped down for parking back in the barn.

That should be plenty high. I'm also assuming that you will be using a powered pole saw -the hand ones are alright but not very quick. Good idea with the fold down rails.

That should be plenty high. I'm also assuming that you will be using a powered pole saw -the hand ones are alright but not very quick. Good idea with the fold down rails.

yes, I have both types of pole saws, plus I think I can get by a lot with just a hand held saw at that height. I have some cheap trimmer with a saw attachment, then a corona pole saw, which I used for years and actually hand sharpened before..whut a PITA..maybe I will pop for a new blade this decade...

I just want to be able to drive down the fence lines and tree lines and not dodge branches.... now it would be slick as all get out if I was a good enough builder to remotely operate the tractor from up there, but I know me limitations... heh

We have a scissor lift here that runs, but that is mostly on hard surface only, can't take it out in the fields.

I want to make it so if I drop the cargo box down to near ground level I can back it into the barn, hence the fold down sides. (need to measure the barn opening before I commence to cutting lumber...) I want it to be an attachment for the cargo box so I can still carry my stuff plus scrounge firewood out of the branches I cut and tote it home at the same time. Or, it can work like scaffolding for some other projects as a stand alone device.

I've worked a *lot* on a pallet up on a forklift..that's why I want guard rail sides.....

removable back

I made mine with three sides the same height and fixed, then the back tailgate thing will just lift out, so I can roll big whopper rounds or other stuff in there (carried a riding lawnmower in it once for instance) (also used it to unload regular flatbed trucks, back up to them, lift box to height, slide in the heavy whatever, pull away, down to the ground)(spiffy)

I don't split out in the field and some of these rounds I get are downright conan sized....no way I could pick one up, but rolling, they roll right in pretty easy, sort of a flop in to make the six inch gap, but that's still easy.

I really should make it so the tailgate can be a ramp....we did our single axle light duty jeep trailer that way, it pops out, then can reattach and lock in and is a decent ramp....

man, you got a bucket! I've got a 90 horse to use with a bucket, but I don't even fire that thing up unless it is a real important job that only that tractor can do, every single thing on that machine is serious folding money, so I try to not use it much. Mostly it gets used for just haying, does the big mower and the baler, and I move a little cow manure from the barn area to my gardens with it, and that's about it. Boy I like the power when she's running though..boom! VaaROOOOM! heheheheh that one is a deutz dx90. The 60 I use as my day to day do everything workhorse with the cargo box is a deutz 6206. I just love that thing. Tractors in general, just so useful. I'd drive that thing into town and go shopping with it if the boss weren't lookin' ;)

I've posted my cargo box before, the whole rig I call my deutz pickup:

161285d1291886370-dec20_004-jpg

Basically I can get 1/4 cord of big solid rounds with another row of smaller lighter pieces at a whack with it without overloading anything. The hydraulics could lift way more, but then the front end would just go straight up, and it would proly bend the forks, they are only rated one ton. So, to be conservative, I class the box itself at around 500 lbs, so with a cushion I can carry another 1,000 lbs and still fall well within a good safety and practicality margin.

I tell ya whut though, with that box loaded and picked up a little bit off the ground, that thing *will* go through some mud.

View attachment 176546 Just trying to attach pictures. Any way heres my start I have more to do on it but wanted your thoughts. :msp_biggrin:

I like these pics better than the ones you posted on Tractorbynet. You can see more of the details with a larger pic. You need to post the pic of it loaded with wood. Still really nice, what sze is it, length ,width, height?

Beefie

I like these pics better than the ones you posted on Tractorbynet. You can see more of the details with a larger pic. You need to post the pic of it loaded with wood. Still really nice, what sze is it, length ,width, height?

Beefie[/QUOTE] Not sure, I know its 58" wide and 33 3/4" deep don't know the height I'll have to measure it.
204656d1300577437-yet-another-carry-all-project-image-42414215.jpg

Back