My trucks got skin cancer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckySawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a 1986 F250 with the 6.9L diesel, and a case of skin cancer that is getting progressively worse. It needs the body panels replaced on both front sides, both of the bed skins, one or two doors, and two cab corners.

Anybody know of someplace online to get good replacement panels and corners?

In a purely econimic sense, I should probably not even consider this, but I like having a truck that I can do most repairs on. No computers in this beauty.

Last edited:
KentuckySawyer said:
I've got a 1986 F250 with the 6.9L diesel, and a case of skin cancer that is getting progressively worse. It needs the body panels replaced on both front sides, both of the bed skins, one or two doors, and two cab corners.

In a purely econimic sense, I should probably not even consider this, but I like having a truck that I can do most repairs on. No computers in this beauty.

If you have a truck that you like and can keep it running with no payments my hat is off to you!

Check your dealer for "NOS.....New Old Stock" I would much rather have a Ford panel than an overseas POS!!!

I've also heard of old-timers spraying used motor oil on the underside of their vehicles once per year, then driving down a dusty dirt road to coat the oil so it doesn't drip. Not the best for the environment, but aren't asphalt roads made by spraying oil on the ground?

Maybe try your local junkyard to see if they have anything you could use. sounds like you can paint and bolt on just about everything except the cab corners, that is if you were to find a whole truck bed in decent shape.

Now's the time to swap axles and springs, and throw a dually bed on it!
-Ralph

As a man that has been trained extensively in auto body repair, and extensively experienced with rotted sheet metal by virtue of living in the "rust belt", let me offer some advice. DO NOT buy aftermarket/overseas/Asian replacement body panels for your truck. Much of the time, the fit and match to the original body contuors is awful. You want to help eliminate the rust situation on your truck, right? Well the aftermarket panels tend to rust on the average three times faster than OEM panels. I have seen asian parts rust right through in less than two years in this climate. Your best bet is to buy new Ford parts, or to save dollars go and search out good used parts in junkyards near you.

KentuckySawyer said:

Dont know what they offer for Feeords or whether their panels are made in China but you can google up LMC truck. I've bought a few things from them and have been satisfied with them.

Just .02 worth,,,,,

KentuckySawyer

About a days drive west of you, there are truck all over the place fron that era.

Some with no paint, but most with out rust. The price of a good 86 3/4 or 1T would the price of swaping all that tin be about the same as a well keep truck?

Just me, but I would way rather swap out engines and power-trains then deal with rust, as some replacment panels are just as bad as the oem's

Just an idea, but I picked up an 86 F-350 460 , C-6 4:10 4X4,,,,,, no rust fair paint, with a little help it passed emmisions,,,, but ran strong for 20+ cords of firewood this year,,,,,,,,

For $1500

Just .02 worth,,,

Kevin

My JC Whitney catalog lists all the panels you mentioned. I am not familiar with the quality but give them a call.
Woodho

I used JC whitney panels on an old 79 ford 4wd i had and the fit was a lot better than what i expected. I do believe they are made in asia tho which could cause a rust problem but the panels were made of heavier gauge metal than was on the truck to begin with. I changed both cab corners, inner and outer door skins on both doors, and the floor pans. After 3 winters here in Illinois there were still no signs of rust on the replaced panels. Just my .02.

Mike

If you can use factory Ford body panels the after market panels are JUNK we have delt with them before they don't fit right and they are thin.

Once you get orange cancer its hard to get rid of it your pretty much looking at doing body work every 4 years.

There isn't many old 80s trucks left in this area the cancer has ate the bodies off.

Back