My Wild Ride

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was removing a large primary limb this week that separated into a "Y" with one half going up at about 85 degrees and the other half going over the roof of the two story house at about 65 degrees. I limbed the upper one and was using it as my working spar to get out on the end of the lower half of the Y to cut it and piece it down. Anyhow, not having a suitable tie in for a secondary anchor I used my reliable tree sloth method... that is I climb out under the limb against the pull of my line with my lanyard around the limb so I can delimb it on my way up. This was working fine except it was another cold and wet day in lovely Ohio and that made the going rough. I had unclipped my lanyard to untangle it, still anchored by my climbing line, and that is when I lost my grip on the limb and the realization of what I had done wrong set in. I had climbed out with my tie in on the upper spar going UNDER the lower limb so as I lost my grip and gaffed out I was swinging wildly like a Yo-Yo on the end of my rope bouncing that spar like mad and peppering the cold air with expletives. Thankfully everyone had a good chuckle and I can tolerate being called "George" for a while but I want to stress the importance of thinking through your setup... this could have wound up in an entirely different forum on this site. Climb safe!

Well, glad to hear you make it, Slvr. I hope you had a few kind words for your hitch after it held on to you. What were you using as a hitch anyway? And who is George?

I was using a split tail with a Blakes Hitch and, yes, joe is right I got pegged as George of the Jungle.

Latest posts

Back