My wood stove saved my ass but need a Diesel generator recommendation.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can imagine a propane unit running off 40-100# bottles, but I haven't seen a setup like that.

I just went through this, we just had a nice 7 day power out from the Halloween noreaster. I just got a 16k propane-fired generator in the middle of this last storm. it is much larger than I want but the price was right.

I was told I would need minimum 4 #100 tanks to use that way and I wouldn't be happy with results. they recommended at least 2 120Gal tanks or larger for long duration storms. it'll just freeze up a single or dual setup 100#.

The thing with propane is it takes A LOT to get it setup, these are NOT portable in any sense. I couldn't get mine setup on a temporary basis as the parts are all trade-only sales. no plumbers or gen tech's are available in the middle of a major blackout. Also, you need to have enough reserve to outlast the black-out. I was told minimum 1 week for a delivery if I bought a 325 or 500gal tank in the middle of our noreaster last week. We ended up just using a 7k gas unit (much easier to acquire fuel).

That being said, I am going to get mine installed in the spring after we do some construction work, bury a 500gal tank and have peace of mind. however I am NOT going to run my 24x7 like many around here did. they're burning $75-100 of propane a day that way. I will have mine running for heavy loads like laundry, showering, etc. during the day when our demand is quite light I will run on a 5k 24 or 36v inverter with a large bank of batteries. This will run the furnace, lights, fridge, etc that do not need the full output of the generator.

The only thing that kept us sane for 7 days was a 800wat 1600spike inverter we ran off our cars so we could run our TV and some lights.It wouldn't quite run the fridge properly so a generator is a necessity in an emergency to keep the fridge and freezer going because we lost a ton of food.We used quite a bit of gas running the inverter especially toward the end because we said screw it let the car run.One thing I found out through all this is the best cup of coffee is made with a old percolator hands down.

Remember the boy scout motto always be prepared! If you think things out and plan ahead storms will be just another day in your life. Only a fool deals with a problem when fixing it will be costly. I live in a area with frequent winter storms,always knowing that I have power a few minutes away. Propane fixed in place is one place is viable option if your set for the long run. One option is a trailer with a LPG 7 kw rv genny and two 100# set up with a dual switch over regulator and a spare 100# cylinder,portable and easy to fill.The trailer can be set up with a # 8 2 pig tail that can be hook to the transfer switch. A small solar panel and a couple deep cycle batteries can provide light at night.

I wonder how much army surplus diesel generators go for these day.

Google Smok stak forum. look around on the onan generator forum. Study up on them you should be able to get a good used one in your price range if you look hard. Onan made a 2 cyl diesel in your size range. You are looking for somthing like a DJC or DJB.
I got a 12 kw DJC air cooled diesel they have a super good voltage regulator the machine is well built overall. If you dont mind to tinker this is the way to go. I got mine for $200 It supposedly had a bad winding I studied the schematic for a day replaced a resistor and presto power!
My diesel consumption at 12 kw is .7 gal per hour. Another thing about the onans if you get a 12 kw it means it can and will produce 12 kw 24/7 no problem.

You could always jury rig a thermocouple based generator for small things (more info) :rock: :

kerosene_radio.jpg

A bud in Pa. just got a Siemens 17 KW propane unit, with automatic ATS, load shedding installed for around $6K. He got to try it out during the recent snow for around 72 hrs., burned about 3/4 gph, but is very satisfied with it.

My setup is an 8 KW Briggs gas genny, hard wired, backfeed thru the garage panel, works ok. Buy the largest unit you can afford.

Check out this link for generators, just to see what's out there. Not saying to buy from Generators Direct, but there are lots of reviews, including mine for a Generac 15000E I bought through a friend who is an electrician and got it for me at cost. Regardless of what model you buy, having your own standby electricity is a smart thing to do. My Generac will power the whole house; I also have a pair of Honda eU2000s that coupled together run my RV on remote sites, etc.

Electric Generators Direct - Your Portable Generator and Home Standby Generator Superstore - Power Generators, Gas Generators, Home Generators, Backup Generators, Electric Generator, Portable Generators, Power Generator, Gas Generator, Emergency Gene

Agree if you have a tractor get a PTO generator. Rather than running electricity from the main line at my house (150 ft away) to the 24x24 outbuilding being built on my property, I am thinking of a trailer-mounted PTO generator I can run off my John Deere.

Boss had one

You could always jury rig a thermocouple based generator for small things (more info) :rock: :

kerosene_radio.jpg

Back when I worked on a dairy farm, the farmer boss there had a kero radio like that. He got his from russia during ww2 when he was in the merchant marine and they did a run to murmansk. Said they were real common over there. Thing worked great! It was setup in one of his shops.

China Imperial diesel I have experience with, they are the cheapest of the larger suitable to power a home model units I have seen (as in multiple cylinders, you ain't picking one up). Wouldn't call it real portable unless it was mounted like the one I maintained inside an old van. Cranked and ran perfect all the time.

With that said, the cheapest way to get a decent genny is to buy one with a used RV wrapped around it. I ain't kidding, you can get fair used but still functional RVs for around 1500 bucks with a genny in them, plus large fuel storage tanks, extra stored water if ya want, built in this or that, usually propane tanks along with the liquid fuel tanks, little furnace, another AC unit. Ours only cost one grand even, got it from folks who upgraded units and it was sitting in the ratrow in the back of the RV park. All it took was a good cleaning and that was it, vroom drove it out, lived in it almost five years. You couldn't buy the genny in the thing outright for that. It's a gasser though, with a kohler engine and a separate fuel tank, but it wouldn't take much to tap into the big main fuel tank either.

Most houses have a building code, check local and with fine print in insurance, they will give you grief if caught holding more than 25 gallons gas or diesel in plastic fuel jugs, but...you could have two hundred gallons in an RV with dual big tanks and they wouldn't bat an eye. and installation couldn't be easier, heh. You could do the same with a ratted out cheap but still running diesel truck with dual tanks plus a bed tank and a diesel genny mounted in the bed. That's the easiest way to store, haul, refill things on a large scale.

Just a unit, and if ya want diesel, used at RV junkyards or marine junkyards, pickup all the electronic doo dads that go with it (that's the stuff that adds up quick in cost with generators). My current boss's rv (cost more than most folks houses, think rockstar class RV) has a big diesel genny in it.

OK, with all that crap said, there's a ton of cheap diesel gennys online. I was looking at some last week just internet window shopping. I have zero experience with them, but the same chinese diesels, small single cylinder on up, are in use all over the third world planet and they run, and guys have used them to repower this or that device, (garden tractor, water pump, and etc.,) and have found they run OK and are real fuel miserly.

In the alt energy community they seem to have been received well, small homeowner gas gennies, not so much, they don't last long at all. Talking about folks who actually live off grid so they can't fool around with crap that doesn't work. A common offgrid setup is solar and or wind plus genny plus battery bank and charger/inverter setup. This is called a hybrid system, and is by far and away the most common type of alt energy setup most folks have.

Home Power (dot com) magazine is *the* go-to place for real info on this subject of powering your home/building/whatever off the grid. They have an online site as well as their paper magazine. That and mother earth news.

Iron Man,

I feel your pain..I was working in Longmeadow during that last storm and it was a bite in the butt! At home I was running on generator for 6 days and 20 hours. I have an old 5KW Generac unit powered by an 11 hp Briggs & Stratton. I burned about 8 gallons of gasoline a day.

The diesel units I have used really just sip fuel however, they tend to be heavy and challenging to start in the cold. Electric start or a compression release is imperative. The cheapest way out would probably be a surplus military unit or something used (read-- Craigslist). The tow-behind portable lighting units they use at job sites typically have 6KW generators powered by a Kubota diesel.

Good luck with your search!

Just like buying a chainsaw, make sure there is after purchase support for your generator.

A cheap off name generator may be great until it breaks and you realize that they used 15 different manufacturers to build it.

Another strong piece of advice is to stay away from Military Surplus Generators especially when it comes to Onan. Onan made generators for the military and THEY DON'T EXIST. I work from Cummins and we own Onan as its now Cummins Power Generation for the bigger units or Cummins Onan for the smaller ones.

I get at least 2 phone calls a week with goofy model numbers asking for parts. My first question is did you buy this at a Military Surplus Auction?

Onan made these special for the Military, sold then a ton of replacement parts and then that was it. Onan has no record of what they used or can you find anyone still there who knows what one is. These were sold under a Military Contract and were never made again, or will they give you replacement parts.

My advice is to buy a Honda 5500. We had one running a stupid amount of extension cords and 3 houses during Hurricane Irene. 6 days with no power for us.

We had about 200 foot of extension cord, a couple splitters, and more extension cord. Ran 4 refrigerators, two sump pumps, a ton of lights, (my TV, but don't tell my neighbor), and some other things.

This thing sipped Gas and was quiet. Never surged, just stayed at one level.

We then got another one from a friend that had 2500 hours on it, and it was just as quiet and powerful.

Problem is that the Honda will run you $2k but it is worth it.

old radio with nice generator

kerosene_radio.jpg

I like a lot the ideea, but is a bit dangerous, how many buildings have burned ?engineering is something brilliant for that period. Maybe today is better to buy a <a href="http://grupuri-electrogene.tools.store.ro/"><span>generator</span></a>

I am a huge diesel fan, but went with a gasoline generator. If my tractor isn't home I typically do not have diesel in a can either. Over the last few years we have lost power for about 7-10 days per year. I went with the 6800/8500 Rigid with a Yamaha engine and installed a transfer switch on the exterior of the house. I would recommend, whether it's diesel or gas, getting one with at least a 30 amp outlet. For a whole house generator mine is a little on the small side. It will run anything in the house (do not know about the central air as I have not tried), well, furnace, OWB, TV's, computers, stove, washer or dryer, fridge, both deep freezers, just not everything in the house at once. We have never had any problems running all of the mandatory items along with some luxury items, however, the lights went dim once...laundry, shower, OWB, furnace blower, TV, and the wife fired up the microwave. Just to save all of the meat in the freezers is worth it to me, let alone keeping the OWB from turning into an ice cube. Since the generator is portable I have also been using it for other tasks as well.

While the Rigid I purchased has worked very well for my family and I there are some disadvantages to this unit and this type of set-up. It's relatively loud, there is a small amount of time setting it up and getting it running, gasoline cost (I burn 3-5 gallons every 12 hours), you can't run a large number of large of devices, and what I consider to be a "limited use" engine/generator. This generator has a pull start engine as well...some consider this a disadvantage, I like not having yet another battery to maintain and it starts very easily. I believe for what I use it for the engine will last, but if you need it daily or weekly, year around, the diesel is probably the better and more economical option.

Back