Mycorrhizal Inoculations--Naturally!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
THe Maaster said on Halloween:
Mychorrizall fungi are like wood decay fungi in that if conditions are good they will grow. Funny how a dead branch can fall on the ground and decay away, even though nobody added wood decay fungi. Similarly, when growing conditions are right for mychorrizal fungi, they too will grow.

Mike, fungi from the same general are both decay and mycorrhizal. That's why the best place to spread chips from a tree's dead branches is under that same tree--completes the natural cycle.

"If you are really worried about the presense of spores, it would be much wiser to look around your neighborhood for a healthy mature tree of the same spieces as you are planting, and take one good shovel full of soil from the base. Take that back and mix it in your planting pit. Its free"

Good plan, and it works the same for vertical mulching of established trees.

the micros in Mycor are native, not exotic, to most habitats.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I didn't give Mycor permssion to dig in my yard to collect fungi, heck they might not even have come to Dousman, or Wisconsin for that matter. They may not even have been in the midwest collecting one of the 25,000 or more spieces."

Maybe I'm still carrying spores form when I lived there. ;) Or maybe by using Pisolithus tictorius and others that have been verifed through good research, the odds are a beneficial microflora will be colonized.

"Some of the studies done where they inoculated sterile soil with plantings and set them outside, ended up having greater presense of native mychorrizall fungus, from airborne spores floating in, than from their inoculations. What does that tell you?"

By itself, not a lot. It's not the presence of spores but the how well they grow and persist. I agree that fresh, native populations are good sources, but adding the commercial varieties can up the odds of boosting root function.

A couple of the Soil food Web folks are teaching a class on organics this winter at the local Community College. Pretty excited about that, lots to learn. They can custom make compost tea for different situations... heavy fungal or heavy bacterial. The fellow I talked with on the phone said he could get a pretty accurate picture of what was needed by looking at the soil. Beyond that it was $250 in soil testing.

Re: Re: Mycorrhizal Inoculations--Naturally!

Originally posted by Mike Maas
This has been proven conclusively, in reaserch done time and time again, by the people selling the stuff. :p Independent reaserch hasn't been quite so optimistic.
That's a huge problem right there. At TCI Expo, Don Marx of Plant Health Care, Inc. spoke about soil microorganisms and claimed that he didn't do commercials. Yet, the whole presentation was of undocumented facts from vague research he/they had done indicating the need for exactly what the company is selling. That's a commercial.

If you want to have a scientific presentation, you better do all the work for it. Leaving out citations is a poor presentation method....bordering on fraudulent in many cases. I realize the TCI Expo audience is made up of professionals instead of academics, but I think the importance is underscored right there.

In a room full of academics, you would be called on the carpet. In a room of professionals who are just looking to learn about a new subject and find solutions for customers, the presenter can lead them astray pretty easily by saying "oh, yeah, we did research on that" therefore you should treat trees with myccorhiza.

I'm all for fostering healthy populations of soil microorganisms, but riddle me this: Shouldn't we be concerned about non-native soil microorganisms? What about earthworms and the landscape change we've experienced due to the loss of most of our native species. :confused:

Well said, Mr. Rosis. Speaking of earthworms, I recently happed upon this fascinating article. Now THIS is how a researcher conducts experiments!

Darwin's Worms

Warning: Long!

Guys, I saw the original research that got Marx started while he was at NCSU. It was independent, verified and convincing--years before PHC came into being. Like you I have questioned many studies that seemed skewed toward a result; not setting up a control with yucca but no micros, for instance.

I saw his field spiel at ISA Pittsburgh; like Rainbows it was as objective as an industry talk can be. I'm not a mycologist so I can't say one strain of P tinctorius can be an exotic invader and mess up the native strains or the worms or bugs. I kind of doubt it.

But like you I think that homegrown micros, like food, are the best kind.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
Guys, I saw the original research that got Marx started while he was at NCSU. It was independent, verified and convincing--years before PHC came into being. Like you I have questioned many studies that seemed skewed toward a result; not setting up a control with yucca but no micros, for instance.
So.... are the conclusions the same now as they were then? Have the conclusions become skewed or not?

Potato famine in Ireland
Dutch Elm disease
Chestnut Blight

The Big three I can think of, among many more.

There's a humungous fungus among us!

Back