Mysterious tree growing in my yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missykel3

Reaction score
I have a interesting tree growing in my yard. It has bright yellow-green leaves and they are long and sort of rounded at the end. I think it was planted by a bird's nut or seed because it grew in an outside flower pot. I looked through encyclopedias and all over the internet to try to find anything that looked like it and I never found anything. The closest it resembles is an American Hazelnut tree. The tree is only about a meter tall and it's branches are light brown and has a tint of maroon in the smaller branches. The leaves are alternating on the branch and the mature leaves are the only ones that are kind of rounded at the end. It isn't really rounded, but it is a little. The outside edges are not smooth, but not too jagged. Unlike the Hazelnut tree, this one does not have as jagged leaves and it is a lot lighter green than the Hazelnut. I hope that you can help me identify this unusual tree. My e-mail is [email protected] Thank You very much!

Not much info to go on. The reason that the site asks for your location is so we can figure out the temperature zones and climate. By posting that you live in 'United States', we have NO CLUE. If it were in a southern climate like central Florida, I would guess 'wild cherry'.

Reply to Brian

I am sorry I did not give enough information. I live in the northwestern part of Oregon. I hope this helps, and I will edit my profile so it says that. Thank you!

-Kellie

Can you post a picture? What are the size of the leaves in inches? If this is only three feet high it may be a shrub.

Reply to Jay Banks

I don't have a scanner so I can't give a picture, I really wish I could though. The leaves are very odd. The are about 2 to 3 inches long. Some have smooth edges and some have small jagged cuts here and there. It is possible that it is a shrub. It didn't take too long to grow a meter tall so that is a possiblity since I don't know what it is. Some of the leaves are rounded at the end and some are pointed. Thsi is why it is so hard to figure out what it is. Thanks, I hope this helps a little.

If it was planted by chance by a bird or by wind, then there must be another mature one in the area. Have you been looking around the area to see if you can find anything similar? Has it flowered ? What does the bark look like are there little specks on it , is it smooth or rough. does it have a smell to it when crushed? keep us posted ok Kellie, john

Reply to John

I have looked around and I only found one tree. It might have been a bush or a tree. My plant has very smooth green bark. And it has little rough specks all over the bark and branches. I think it may be one of those big bushes (for example: a lilac bush, but I know for sure it isn't a lilac, that was just an example) I hope you can help me! Thanks

-Kellie

Back