Mystery Roadside log to identify

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldHickory

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I salvaged this from the roadside before the city brush service picked it up for shredding into mulch. At first I thought it might be large walnut logs, but I don't think so now. Initially last winter I recall the growth rings were fairly dark and wide, but now they have bleached away and I've got nice radial cracks. It took wedges to make a split totally through and then my 15lb Soltz monster maul wouldn't separate the splits. I had to finish separating by sledge/wedge from the other side of the log. It is sort of stringy like hickory. It doesn't resemble the compact grain of the white ash I've burned from the backyard either. I'm ready for the game to begin.. I don't know what this really is. I also think what is noteable is the really husky/thick bark that doesn't come easily apart but stays in one big piece even better than oak does.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Thanks for your help guys. I believe you all are right. It appears I have ELM. Although I've read about everybody trying to split it & how some love to burn it, I have not actually had any of this before. I'm interested to see how it burns. I further confirmed your opinions with a fantastic website by the Forestry/ Univ of MN where they have a firewood identifier PDF file.
The distinctive characteristics of the wood I have are; a stingy consistency of the grain, the wavy summerwood growth rings, and there IS overlapping light tan/darker brown layers in the outermost bark. Therefore, it is likely American or Rock Elm.

Back