Name that bug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I keep my saw in the basement, so when I was walking by to put wood in the stove, I noticed 3 of these bugs crawling around it and they can fly. Im guessing they come in with the wood thats been thrown in. Anybody got any ideas what it is?

Last edited:
I'm no entomolygist, but I'd say you probably have a bug that we're gonna need to see a picture of in order to help you out. :D

May be a "woodie" bug. Those things are ugly and usually get around real slow, kinda like a 2171......

Pay no nevermind to young 2K here, kstill...the boy ain't properly right...:D

(And the bug is like the 2171 in one way...it can FLY!)

Wish I could help you out on that one, but I can't say as I've ever seen one before.

fire

Throw' em in the fire!!! LOL I've burnt hundreds of carpenter ants in my furnace along with a lot of spiders! They get real hot real quick!LOLOLOLOL :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :)

Lolololololololololol

I hope you're not the kind of guy that delights in tossing a found bug on top of the stove. :)

Like I do.

Maybeeee................lol:laugh: :ices_rofl: :jester: :chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange:

Bowtie is wrong!

That is a yellow sawfly. I have them all over my firewood, mainly they ruin my locust firewood, but they also get into other species of wood. They are harmless to dried lumber, as they only attack dead or dying trees. They swarm the Ash, Locust, and Mulberry I have in my firewood stacks. The larvaes look like skin colored ribbed little worms that bore into the wood and dig tunnels into the heartwood, completely destroying it.

TreeCo is exactly right, I am wrong. That looks like a locust borer. What I have I believe is the red headed ash borer. Here is a link of good information on wood insects.

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0488008

I think you mean BowTie was right.

I wasn't sure what the insect was.

Well, looks like you nailed it. From what research I did that indeed is the Locust Borer as you stated earlier in this thread. It looks a lot like a red headed ash borer (except for the red head) :laugh:

Latest posts

Back