Narrowing It Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny08

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and the Stump Grinding Game, so new infact that I've yet to purchase equipment.

I am looking at the following pieces of equipment

a) 2008 Bandit #2100sp with only 50 hours , 38HP Kohler Command & Tomahawk Teeth asking $17,500 and includes a trailer. Not sure how much this machine was new?

b) 2013 Rayco #1635JRS with 194 hours, 35HP Vanguard - Stock cutting wheel and teeth - asking $17,500 and includes a trailer

c) 2005 Vermeer SC252ST with 383 hours - has a newer (only 100 hours 2013 27HP Kohler Command Engine)
Has yellow jacket teeth , new upper and lower bearings , new belts and looks like new - asking $9,000 and includes a Vermeer Trailer made for the unit

I'll be doing stump grinding on a part time basis , there is plenty of steady work in my area , Hopefully someone who has run these machines or currently have on can give their opinion on what would be the better deal , personally because I am just starting out I am kinda leaning towards the 2005 Vermeer , but have concerns in regards to having enough power - ie more power means less time = more $$

Or should I be looking at some other models ?

By the way how does the Kohler engine stack up to the Vanguard ?

Much Obliged

Sonny

Welcome to the forum Sonny.
With your budget I would be looking for a diesel engine. Something in the 50-60 hp range with FWD. Even in a part time business you will want to be able to compete with the people serving your area. Good used machines do come up. I looked for over a year to find the right Super 50 while operating a RG-50. When you find the right one, jump on it. Don't let it go for what will end up being a fews days pay.
Good luck!

Welcome to the forum Sonny.
With your budget I would be looking for a diesel engine. Something in the 50-60 hp range with FWD. Even in a part time business you will want to be able to compete with the people serving your area. Good used machines do come up. I looked for over a year to find the right Super 50 while operating a RG-50. When you find the right one, jump on it. Don't let it go for what will end up being a fews days pay.
Good luck!
I've pretty much decided on the Vermeer for 8K - includes the newer 27 Kohler , set of new yellow jacket teeth , all new bearings , belts and a very nice trailer.

I have 4 jobs waiting from placing a Craigs list ad , Will check the grinder all out on Sunday and hopefully bring it home then. Any particular things I should look for?

There is currently a 2006 Carlton 2500-4 for sale at $9,500 but it's also over 5 hours away and the Carlton has the same engine , so I'm thinking of just staying with the Vermeer, which has less hours and 1 hour away.

I agree about getting a large diesel grinder , but will first earn some cabbage , learn the business ( never done grinding before , but have dug plenty of stumps out with my Kubota backhoe) and then sell and move up in equipment.

I thought I would get more responses to my posting , appreciate your help.

This is a big deal. You will spend alot of time with this machine. Don't let a few hours drive keep you from getting the best machine you can afford. I drove to southeast Florida for my Super 50! It has been worth every penny.

I've got a Carlton 2500-4, rayco 1672 tow behind, and a bandit 2550. I would NEVER NEVER NEVER go back to the Carlton. The 27hp kohler has always felt under powered the whole time I've had it. I have done some huge stumps with it but will never go back. I'm trying to sell it now.
Personally I would look for at least a 40hp engine. Diesel preferably.
The Carlton is really made for small diameter stumps. I've done monsters with it, but by the time you reposition 10 times and remove mulch out of your way and spend 3 hr grinding... No.
Honestly to just start out I would buy a used tow behind with tons of hp. Probably And then ge t busy. Just my opinion.
u3a5e5eq.jpg
ynasany8.jpg
yvypany8.jpg

That rayco is the beast of all beasts. You can't go through a 36 inch gate but you can demolish literally Any stump in 15 20 minutes.
Get as much hp as you can afdors now. :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Much Obliged for everyone's opinion & because of your sage advice I have switched gears and hope to buy a 2009 Rayco 1645 with the Green Teeth only 190 hours and includes a trailer - asking $19,500 - maybe I can get it for 18K -

Anybody have this machine ? The Kubota 44 HP engine is pretty much all I need to hear, as I bought a Kubota L38 -(loader/backhoe) in 1996 & the L38's - 38HP diesel engine is the best engine I have ever ran in anything .

What are some key things to look for? Has there been any problems in this year and model ?

Much Obliged for everyone's opinion & because of your sage advice I have switched gears and hope to buy a 2009 Rayco 1645 with the Green Teeth only 190 hours and includes a trailer - asking $19,500 - maybe I can get it for 18K -

Anybody have this machine ? The Kubota 44 HP engine is pretty much all I need to hear, as I bought a Kubota L38 -(loader/backhoe) in 1996 & the L38's - 38HP diesel engine is the best engine I have ever ran in anything .

What are some key things to look for? Has there been any problems in this year and model ?

Rayco's are good machines, parts a little exp thou, for 25000 u could get a new bandit 2550xp all hyd unit, no belts or bearings to mess with, I had a 2150xp before I bought the 2550, the all hyd out performs the belt drive hands down with same 38hp kohler engine, also had a Vermeer 252, good machine but will wear u out on big stumps, but u prob can't go wrong on the rayco if u decide to go that way, good luck with your business...

Bob....:givebeer:

Rayco's are good machines, parts a little exp thou, for 25000 u could get a new bandit 2550xp all hyd unit, no belts or bearings to mess with, I had a 2150xp before I bought the 2550, the all hyd out performs the belt drive hands down with same 38hp kohler engine, also had a Vermeer 252, good machine but will wear u out on big stumps, but u prob can't go wrong on the rayco if u decide to go that way, good luck with your business...

That Kubota 44HP Diesel is unbeatable compared to any other Diesel or Gas engine , not even close

Looks like I can pick this machine up on Friday - $18 K - which seems like a pretty good deal to me - Low hours , all fluids & filters just changed , new steering pump & hoses , new green teeth & a nice Rayco trailer.

This unit has the 2 joy stick controls - Anybody know if this is a good operating system?
Wish it had the swing out controls & window shield , but that 44HP Kubota is a beast.

Now a real important question - Liability Insurance - which companies give a fair price?

Rayco's are good machines, parts a little exp thou, for 25000 u could get a new bandit 2550xp all hyd unit, no belts or bearings to mess with

Idk about 25k. My "new" 2550 was 36stacks. That's a 2013 demo with like 90 hrs on it. The standard swing out version with kubota diesel. Another guy was selling his 2012 model with remote and like 200+/- hrs for 30k. 25 Grand may be a gas engine or something.

Idk about 25k. My "new" 2550 was 36stacks. That's a 2013 demo with like 90 hrs on it. The standard swing out version with kubota diesel. Another guy was selling his 2012 model with remote and like 200+/- hrs for 30k. 25 Grand may be a gas engine or something.

I paid 25,300 for a new 2550xp, 1 and 1/2 yrs ago, 38hp kohler, diesel was 5000 more, at my age I could
not see any advantage to the diesel as prob only have a few years left in me lol...had a 2150 same eng with
belt drive, absolutely no comparison, hyd wheel speed is at least double that of belt drive...

Bob.....:givebeer:

Picked up that 1645 Rayco Today & what an awesome machine, that Kubota is so sweet & the brand new Green Teeth as well. Much obliged for the great advice from the experienced stumpers who said buy as much horsepower as you can , you won't regret it

Update on my Rayco ;

I've mulched up some pretty big stumps and this machine chews up 4 foot stumps like butter

I'm sold on them Green Teeth as they seem to turn the stump wood into mulch like material.

That Kubota sips fuel & the 2 joy stick operation makes for easy work

So I've put about 20 hours on this machine and have found it to be better than I had hoped for .

Latest posts

Back