Nebie with questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to be hating on the OP. We all had to start somewhere.

I remember my first year... I was an Expert!

It's all good, mates.

315bhub.jpg

He OWNS a tree removal business and is asking questions a groundie could answer after only a few weeks. That is where I have the problem. Question #1 ...no problem. Question #2 ..... Not ready for prime time yet.

"If a limb is over a house or shed how do you get it down"

That was the one that pushed me over the edge.
This guy has insurance?????? No wonder rates went up 30% this year.

"If a limb is over a house or shed how do you get it down"

It is a valid question.
How to execute the process reliably, predictably, safely, economically, (time and labour), and with repeatable results?
The newbie will eventually become an oldbie, and it all becomes intuitive. Days of this work turn into years, and the body begins to creak.

I started out knowing nothing just doing little stuff and cleanup. I know what it's like to be in this position, but tree work isn't rocket science. Anyone with a good head on their shoulders can figure it out with a little help. Read the Tree Climbers Companion, To Fell A Tree and anything else you can he your hands on.

I love Samson Arbor plex rope. It's cheap and good for light rigging and natural crotch rigging. Also ok for climbing, but I prefer Blue Moon. Learn your knots. Timber hitch, cow hitch, anchor knot, double bowline, Blake's hitch are my go to knots for almost anything. I also use loop straps with steel biners for rigging. It's fast and simple.

Unfortunately a lot of guys here aren't willing to help out other guys with little experience. I guess it's an ego thing.

I had a lot more typed out, but my phone crashed and I lost it. Message me with your email if you want some advice, I'd be willing to help out.

Their is no way this is a legit thread. Rack you've been running a tree service for 3 years and haven't rigged?

Yeah its legit..... I do it 4 days a month TOPS and the jobs i cant cut and chunk we would turn down bc this is a way to make a little money on the side.... We have done some rigging but I just wanted to learn the best way to do it and the right **** to buy....

U guys act like im out renting a crane and taking down 80' trees next to 700 KVA lines and mansions..... no i do side jobs

BTW that was a sweet pic

4 days a month for the years is the equivalent of 6 months tree work. That's understandable. It took my guys a whole year before they could be trusted to reliably turn the chipper on and off.
Do it every day though and before you know it you can do anything & everything

My bad rack. I didn't realize it was on the side...

4 days a month for the years is the equivalent of 6 months tree work. That's understandable. It took my guys a whole year before they could be trusted to reliably turn the chipper on and off.
Do it every day though and before you know it you can do anything & everything

A year to turn on the chipper? Man, you need to pay more to get a more qualified worker. Our groundies better be able to run the chipper after day 2, or there won't be a day 3.

I use Invoice To Go on my phone to email estimates. They look good, and super easy once it's set up. Only downside is it's $10. Worth it though.

Rigging isn't really all that difficult. Just KNOW your gear and it's limitations. Practice on trees that don't need to be rigged just to practice. That way if you **** something up in the rigging process, it's no big deal as long as you don't get yourself hurt. Start small. But seriously, get yourself some different sized loop straps and a few steel biners. Makes it so much easier for little to medium rigging where a natural crotch isn't available or you don't want to burn up your ropes. MAKE SURE your groundie has good ROPE gloves. Like Petzl Midweight belay gloves. Not rope handling or rope work gloves, belaying or rappelling gloves. Not mechanic gloves or hardware store specials. I watched a dumbass get bad second degree burns across both palms faster than he could let go of a rope. He was wearing mechanic gloves. This was also the same guy that got himself caught in the circle of death by being an idiot and lived to tell about it.

There was some talk of using a pulley to reduce the friction when tip tying earlier in the thread. I would natural crotch for a while until you get the hang of what you are doing. The added friction can be as valuable as an extra groundie or 2 holding a heavy piece. When you get comfortable rigging and know you need less friction in certain situations it will be time to get a block. By that time you should already have figured out you need a portawrap to help the groundies out.

Thanks for all the great advice guys I have bought the suggested books and am looking at all the ropes and other gear talked about..... that massdam rope puller looks like it could be very usefull

So on top of starting a tree company you have bravely subjected yourself to the catcalls from some of the folks on this website site! I guess you got to have a tough skin and figure things out yourself. stand back and look at it, get your Groundmans input also.

Latest posts

Back