need a furnace expert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsteinmetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey
Well heres my problem. I bought an OWB a couple weeks ago and after looking at my heil gas furnace i have no room for my heat exchanger. The cieling in my basement is low and the furnace is a 1983 model so its quite tall. Looking closer when i take the cover off the furnace above the burners about 18 inches there looks to be a cover and then another cover into the furnace itself. Looks to be dead space.Does anyone know if i can put my HX in this space? It is the same width and length as the area above it where i was originally gonna put my HX. The cover does get warm on this spot but it has to go there or in the return. Looked for a furnace diagram online but found nothing. HELP....

I attached some pics.

i downloaded your pic and NO you can put it there the heat exchanger for your gas is there....pull your return air drop lose from the furance and at the duct at the top and move it over about 6" and mount the water to air coil on the side of the furnace and then bend 3 pieces of metal 1"x1"x1" to make a filter rake of what size your coil is(16"x18" or what ever).....

btw have you ever had that furnace heat exchanger looked at?...those heils of that year where bad about cracking...replaced a bunch of those back in the middle to late 80's...metal in them sucked

and by your pic your water heater needs a new relief vavle and pull that paper towel out of it be fore your blow your water heat through your roof and kill someone!!!!!!!!!(if it's leakin' it's bad!!!!!!)a down pipe put on it 6" from the floor to make it code and safe..if it blows the hot water will burn your upper body rather than just your ankels or the face of your kids if there down there when it goes off!....been doin' HVAC and plumbin' for 25 years

Last edited:
Hey thanks again ghitch. So your saying just move the cold air return over 6 inches. Would you think it would be better to put in as big of HX i can get in there(example filter is 16x25 so a 15x23 HX would probably work) or is overkill not worth it? And if i put in a smaller HX then the area of the return duct do I need to block that space off to get the right amont of heat or can some of the cold air mix with the hot? Im a lineman not a Hvac expert. I leave that up to you guys.

btw that wasn a towel in my relief valve its oxidation. Is that bad? No leaks or water coming out of it.

Thanx zach

Latest posts

Back