(Indoor) Wood Furnace suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't visited this thread much, I spend most of my time in the chainsaw area. I need to replace my old add on type wood furnace and must have a unit that will fit my small space. The front of the unit sticks through a basement wall (tile/block wall with an angle iron frame) that is 22-1/2" wide and about 43" high. I found this Royall Furnace unit that will be around $2,500 altogether which seems reasonable to me. Are there other suppliers that make a smaller unit that I could consider?

Here's my set up in the basement.

Saw photo's 007.jpg

Here is a link to the Royall Furnace unit I am looking at.

https://www.royallfurnace.com/wood-furnace/8095-NS-indoor-wood-furnace.htm
Thanks in advance for any input.

Mark

Ashley maybe. I like my Royall furnace. I bought it used and previous owner burned strictly hedge. He would cut it and if needed split it in big chunks. Dean isn't a small guy and when he threw in a chunk it would hit hard, and I have replaced the firebrick 4 times. Dean lived in the country and was occasionally without power. Without a fan to force air around it to keep it cool the firebox got really HOT. Metal warped and the metal behind the firebrick and the angle iron retaining the firebrick warped bad. Now there is a void behind the brick and leaves no backing for strength, I will have to take it to the shop and fab in some heavier plate. Mine is a shaker grate so I could burn coal so I will have to allow for clearance if I wish to take out the grates. My Northern Leader weighed twice the weight of the royal, had stiffeners welded to the outside of the firebox they act as heat dissipaters as well. My Royall is 32 inches front to back not counting the front doors or the flue pipe, it has 4 shaker grates ( 2 and a crossmember then 2 more) I have a friend that has a Royall with 6 shakers and the only difference is that it is longer. Mine is a Model 8025 or 8026 but the btu is not stated on the furnace and I haven't a clue where my paper work is. Dean replaced it with an outdoor wood burner.
I like my Northern Leader furnace better at my other place but they closed their doors in the late? 80's.

Thank you.

My current unit is a "Hot Shot" made by River City Furnace, Ltd., they had been in business in Mason City, Iowa but they are long gone as a manufacturer, today they are a common carrier company.

As you can see, I have a very small "window" to install this unit and I really don't care to be making a larger opening in that wall. The Royall is the only one I have found so far that will fit my available space.

Mark

Can’t go wrong with a kumma. I have a vapor fire 100 and it might be a little out if your budget but it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with your current one? Can it be pulled out and weld in a new piece?

Kuuma as mentioned, or the new Drolet Heat Commander benefits sound worth the effort if at all possible. Is the Royall even 2020 compliant? I didn't see it listed? Not that I give rats arse but it seems odd they are still even available?

The current unit is over 30 years old, the firebox is badly warped and cracked. I welded it up as best I could last fall but it seems to have developed some additional openings as we are no longer able to control the draft. I am looking for a replacement unit that will fit the existing space without having to enlarge the opening in the basement (tile/bloc) wall and so far the Royall is the only thing I have found that will fit.

By the time I remove this one, make repairs (if practical and possible) and put it back, I think I would be time, money, and security wise better off to just replace it.

Mark

I’d rip the brick surround out. How do you have access to the back of the furnace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The current unit is over 30 years old, the firebox is badly warped and cracked. I welded it up as best I could last fall but it seems to have developed some additional openings as we are no longer able to control the draft. I am looking for a replacement unit that will fit the existing space without having to enlarge the opening in the basement (tile/bloc) wall and so far the Royall is the only thing I have found that will fit.

By the time I remove this one, make repairs (if practical and possible) and put it back, I think I would be time, money, and security wise better off to just replace it.

Mark
I love my Royall!
Paid for itself the first morning I filled it in my underwear and went back to bed!

Mike

That's a positive vote from Mike. Hope you came through the storms O.K. Probably time to get some ported saws out and go to work on cleanup.

Mark
The storms didn't seem to want much here except for small twigs and my trash cans! Had to go get them from the road 3 times. We were VERY lucky and I'm extremely grateful for it. I'm getting too old to run ported saws like that much any more my back and legs just won't take it.

Mike

There is no way I'm buying a furnace that is being sold illegally...if they aren't willing to put in the work to get their stuff certified its pretty obvious they don't plan on being around long...once EPA catches up with them its game over.
Modify your setup to accommodate the Kuuma or HC.

There is no way I'm buying a furnace that is being sold illegally...if they aren't willing to put in the work to get their stuff certified its pretty obvious they don't plan on being around long...once EPA catches up with them its game over.
Modify your setup to accommodate the Kuuma or HC.
Just because it meets the epa standard doesn't mean its a good furnace. I did a lot of research when I bought my englander which is epa certified under the previous regulations. I like the ashley it was supposed to be real efficient. After more research it showed that the emissions were great when run full open and it would cook right through wood. If you restricted the air it would make a lot of creosote. That was the cheap end of epa certified furnaces but so is my englander but its a different style.

Inspired by my phone call with TRTermite, I dismantled the wood furnace in the basement (to reduce some weight) and in due course found a major seam that had split open. That certainly explains my inability to damper the firebox and control the burn rate.

My son helped me carry it out to the garage and we were able to close the gap and I proceeded to weld it up. I was actually shocked at the excellent condition of the firebox with the exception of that split seam so I will replace the firebrick and put it back it and keep going. I was rather looking forward to replacing this unit, but after this review I don't have any concerns about putting it back and using for another 20 years or so.

In the past I had been inclined to run it really hot for 20-30 minutes each morning (as in leave the ash door open blast furnace hot) but I think we will limit that going forward to minimize any potential for future failures.

Mark

Latest posts

Back