need a good chainsaw mechanic in Oregon or nor cal.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, my mechanic got a job with Stihl as some kind of northwest tech troubleshooter and moved away😢. I sometimes need hands on help and hate tp pay 100$ an hour. Do you know anyone close to southern Oregon, maybe even a good amateur? ( cuz I'm a bad amateur). If you can think of anyone, let me know, or maybe you can help, but I really need someone who can actually look at the saw David IN Talent OR

There is myrtle creek saw shop in Roseburg, that is very reputable. Not too bad if a drive from yas.

Not much that I know of between Eureka and Grant's Pass. Maybe Crescent City has an active shop, but likely regular shop rates.

There a few folks near Medford that constantly have saws for sale on Craigslist. Maybe see if they're willing to hire out.

What sort of work do you think might have done? I use to advertise my willingness to fix saws on Craigslist, so possibly look there.

Its been my experience, that everybody puts off maintenance on a saw and by the time it gets looked at it is really really past fixing. Second everybody wants the work done for free or nearly free, and expects something like a new saw after the work is completed. Typical of such people; don't know to or how to sharpen a chain, and consequently the saw has been run to near death making saw dust.

For those reasons I stopped working on saws. I'll do minor things for neighbors, but I can feel their disappointment that it was something simple, and I charged them. Or the saw is not like new again, and their own abuse of the saw quickly brings the saw back to its same problem phase.

It's a no win for the DIY garage fix it guy.

I've also heard the shop in Myrtle Creek is good from some guys at Whitaker Logging&Trucking in Roseburg/Wilbur.

I use Diamond Power if needed but haven't in years, just buy saws or parts there, so don't know the hourly rate but $100 is starting to seem the starting line now.

There is another shop/guy in Grants Pass who does a fair business porting. I don't know the name but will text a faller today and see if I get a reply.

Look on Facebook/Craigslist for chainsaw sale ads that all look like they’re taken in the same spot/angle. Contact the seller and ask if they also do service. That’s how I found the place I take stuff when it’s over my head.

I have a good saw shop near me. Their racket is contract chainsaw maintenance for the local tree services. They buy a lot of “totaled” saws too. They fix what’s wrong and resell for maybe 75% of new, often to the same tree companies. Those guys know exactly how all the main saw models fail.

Not much that I know of between Eureka and Grant's Pass. Maybe Crescent City has an active shop, but likely regular shop rates.

There a few folks near Medford that constantly have saws for sale on Craigslist. Maybe see if they're willing to hire out.
unfortunately , the guy posting saws regularly here on Cl is fairly incompetent ( Has the same exact name as me and looks exactly like me.....huh......)

I'm in grants pass and work on any kind of equipment really, also build trailers lemme know if you still need maintenance

Latest posts

Back