scared of my 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI, a while back I [icked up a BuNch of saws at a great price and 2 of them were 362s with Moronic. One runs fine, the other one will fire repeatedly but wont start. I pulled the muffler today and the piston looks fairly good, no obvious wear, although it's kind of a dirty brownish color. Seeing the piston made me decide to try and fix it, it seem worth it. although I probably wont keep it. I'm not the most skilled or smart mechanic, so I'm hoping someone will chime in and say "any idiot can fix that". I'm thinking the starting point is rebuilding the carb and replacing the solenoid. Hoping to get some responses from members who are somewhat mentally challenged like myself. Have you done this on a 362c? I know I need to get on the beg for manuals thread. OR, MAYBE YOU ARE SITTING HOME BORED, AND WANT TO TAKE ON THIS JOB FOR PAY!!??!!?

Don't know that the manual will tell you anything. If the saw will not run the Stihl diagnostic tool won't tell you much either. But, if you have a Stihl dealer close by that can connect the saw for you if the tool says cannot connect that could indicate a wiring issue.
But, despite the babbling about parts replacers you see constantly , that is about what you are stuck with.
You can ohm out your wiring harness as best you can for shorts or breaks.
Take the carb apart and make sure the screen isn't stopped up.
The solenoid is usually the number one suspect.
It is an easy replacement if you have the right size torx driver..
The ignition module can go bad as well.

So, guess what. You are now a parts replacer.
If the solenoid does not help put it back in the box and save for a rainy day.

Long story short. There is no way to eliminate what issues it could be other than testing for effect one at a time.
Hell, could be the plug. Wouldn't be the first time.

good news. I was looking more closely at the mess under the hood, it sure isn't a 65 chevy ll. I noticed a white doohickey that looked like it should plug in, thought it was a diagnostic port? In any case, I plugged it into a black plastic doohickey, and lo and behold, it started and ran! Still not sure if I'm so comfortable with owning a saw I don't know how to work on............... btw, it's the lower doohickey with the screwdriver pointed at it.IMG_3012.jpeg

good news. I was looking more closely at the mess under the hood, it sure isn't a 65 chevy ll. I noticed a white doohickey that looked like it should plug in, thought it was a diagnostic port? In any case, I plugged it into a black plastic doohickey, and lo and behold, it started and ran! Still not sure if I'm so comfortable with owning a saw I don't know how to work on............... btw, it's the lower doohickey with the screwdriver pointed at it.View attachment 1146231

That looks like the solenoid itself, the black doohicky that the white connector plugs in to. I think the other connector is just a connector with one set of wires going to the diagnostic port and the other set to the control module.
The other doohicky attached to the carb is a micro switch to tell the control module when the choke is on.

Anyhow, hard to tell from the photo , but those are the doohickys involved. If I have which is which mixed up.

HI, a while back I [icked up a BuNch of saws at a great price and 2 of them were 362s with Moronic. One runs fine, the other one will fire repeatedly but wont start. I pulled the muffler today and the piston looks fairly good, no obvious wear, although it's kind of a dirty brownish color. Seeing the piston made me decide to try and fix it, it seem worth it. although I probably wont keep it. I'm not the most skilled or smart mechanic, so I'm hoping someone will chime in and say "any idiot can fix that". I'm thinking the starting point is rebuilding the carb and replacing the solenoid. Hoping to get some responses from members who are somewhat mentally challenged like myself. Have you done this on a 362c? I know I need to get on the beg for manuals thread. OR, MAYBE YOU ARE SITTING HOME BORED, AND WANT TO TAKE ON THIS JOB FOR PAY!!??!!?
I will fix it

That looks like the solenoid itself, the black doohicky that the white connector plugs in to. I think the other connector is just a connector with one set of wires going to the diagnostic port and the other set to the control module.
The other doohicky attached to the carb is a micro switch to tell the control module when the choke is on.

Anyhow, hard to tell from the photo , but those are the doohickys involved. If I have which is which mixed up.
Are you sure it’s a doohickey? Might be a whatsit or thingamajig.

Hey I can’t post nothing correctly can u put word out I have a bunch and I mean a bunch of saws
First off you need at least 30 posts preferably in other threads other than in the trading post and be a member for 45 days before you can sell anything on this site, your for sale threads have been blocked or removed until you reach the required number of posts. A new member signing up on the site just to sell saws is in for a difficult time, no one knows anything about you, you have no credible references unless you have been on the site for a period of time and other members are leery of sending just anyone money for a saw they may never receive, its happened before. Get your required number of posts done and days in then you can at least list what you want to sell.

Latest posts

Back