Need a new chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a winch is a bolt on kit add on on the bandits as some others arent. pretty much you can buy the winch and bolt it on yourself within an hour

My bad. i just realized your right, they all come with the winch mount these days. Still I would want to be winching and chipping right off.

Good luck with the new chipper man. I've got a 250 with supersized infeed and quad rollers+ hyd. chute with JD 125 turbo, I love it.

If I was you I would go get a new Bandit 255XP 15" chipper. If I remember right they come stock with a wench and 142 horsepower? Don't hold me to the horsepower I just know they are beef chippers and if you are doing residential and you get on of those you won't need a new chipper for a good long time

a winch is a bolt on kit add on on the bandits as some others arent. pretty much you can buy the winch and bolt it on yourself within an hour

So what you are saying is that they don't come stock with the winch, it's an option when you purchase? But it is cheaper for yourself to decline the option for the winch and purchase one and install it yourself?

So what you are saying is that they don't come stock with the winch, it's an option when you purchase? But it is cheaper for yourself to decline the option for the winch and purchase one and install it yourself?

I think he's just being cheap right off. The winch option initially would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Pft. JPS I love you man but you need wider exposure. I can get my 1590 anywhere you can get a bc1000 but chip bigger and better and run a winch and still be able to open feed rollers by control rather than stop the whole machine and jack em up?!?!?!?EwwwwwBandit! Bandit! Bandit! Bandit!
I've had bad experiances with Bandit and warentees, besides that, not everyone chips huge wood or has a big truck. I have a number of clients who run small chippers on a one-ton truck.Having the power to destroy a tree fast is good, if you do it regularly. I've run whole tree rigs that suck fuel like an Aussie on holiday. ;) And I've run minis with two banger Kohler's. If what you do most is trim reidential trees then something in between works best.

Now when one of my major clients went from a Vermeer whisper drum to a Bandit 18 inch, I was very happy, since I help him with cleanup.:laugh:

Now when one of my major clients went from a Vermeer whisper drum to a Bandit 18 inch, I was very happy, since I help him with cleanup.:laugh:

the right equipment makes all the difference in the world. yeah drag'n brush sucks for sure if every time you feed the chipper you get physically abused in one manner or the other. but when you drag a pile up to the chipper mouth and give it just a push to get it near and the whole bundles goes in without a hitch then yes the hump becomes enjoyable.

nevermind the leisurely stroll back to the chipper after you set the winch line and pull the lever.

you gonna own that machine for what 10 years? and you didnt get the winch!? wow. break that 2500$ up over 10 years. you trying to tell me that you thought you were getting screwed over for what they wanted in that winch option?

you wont be making any easy money with it, thats for sure.

wont be able to back up to the edge of the driveway and use the winch to pull over that side leaner worth a thousand bucks and have it done and cleaned up in an hour.

instead you gotta pad your way in and have a couple buzzards hump the wood while another is climbing it and taking too damn long to do it because you bid it for 800 and its already on hour 3 and the rakes havent even been out yet.

again, congrats on the new chipper!

what type and size chipper do you own dirty? :laugh:

if, and i say if, i was to start off going for it legitimately i wouldnt make the mistake of buying a chipper without a winch. in fact if, again that if, i would go on my own i would buy a log truck (enclosed) that had a winch on the both ends with one right on the grapple arm itself!

so no i dont have a chipper. but i do have access to a 22inch grapple fed woodsman and 30 yard chiptrucks and 75ft buckets and 38ton crane. i do my share of the work for a man who buys a winch for his chipper(s).

it only makes sense and ups production even if you dont use it. knowing its there is a great feeling. as felt by this man who does his share of the work for someone who buys his chipper with a winch. you know me. the happy employee. i just show up and bang out the work cause its fun.

think of me with a smile as you pile up that next bundle and drag it up the hill 200ft on your next missed lot clearing job.

The last part....

if, and i say if, i was to start off going for it legitimately i wouldnt make the mistake of buying a chipper without a winch. In fact if, again that if, i would go on my own i would buy a log truck (enclosed) that had a winch on the both ends with one right on the grapple arm itself!

So no i dont have a chipper. But i do have access to a 22inch grapple fed woodsman and 30 yard chiptrucks and 75ft buckets and 38ton crane. I do my share of the work for a man who buys a winch for his chipper(s).

It only makes sense and ups production even if you dont use it. Knowing its there is a great feeling. As felt by this man who does his share of the work for someone who buys his chipper with a winch. You know me. The happy employee. I just show up and bang out the work cause its fun.

Think of me with a smile as you pile up that next bundle and drag it up the hill 200ft on your next missed lot clearing job.

lol!

Been reading this thread with interest and I thought I would give voice to another side of this story.

Big equipment, cranes, chippers, buckets equals jobs done quickly and money in your pocket, right?

Not so right.

Your hourly take is great but actual money in pocket is not. When we work with large equipment we are feeding the manufacturers families, not our own.

Think about it. I've done it both ways.

Working with just my wife and I, I have more money in my pocket than I ever had working with large equipment.

Mechanization is one of the greatest contributors to lack of sustainability of workload. If one guy can do the work of 4 or 6, could mean 3 or 5 are standing in an unemployment line.

Dave

fair enough sir but would you buy a brand new chipper without a winch?

LOL. Of course I would. Get away from the toggle switch and start dragging brush. Just yanking your chain there. I know what you are trying to say.

Proper tools need to be partnered with the proper job. But it is easy to lose sight of what is truly necessary. We are bombarded with all of the latest and greatest produced by the large manufacturers...the MUST haves.

There has been an awful lot of treework done, including logging, which is ALL big stuff before these "wonderful" inventions came along. It just took more sweat and manpower. This world seems to have an overabundance of people. People need to eat and be productive.

Dave

fair enough sir but would you buy a brand new chipper without a winch?

I would, If most of my work did not deal with hauling big piles. Even on big TD's they can have limited use. A lot of the big ash work I've been doing has lot of brush that shatters on the ground, if you add to that the fact that the wood is left on the job, then the winch is of limited value.

The concept you are talking about is an economy of scale, big iron makes big jobs go fast. the counter argument is that big iron makes you need to chace big jobs. Small to medium jobs become unproductive because you have all this rolling stock, and people to make it move.

I've been on jobsties that run whole tree chippers and loader truck to feed brush. They do not want to look at a job that is "thin one medium Norway maple and trim for 5 ft of roof clearance."

I can see your point that a winch may be justifiable even if lightly used, but there is always a give and take with a budget. $2500 could be the difference between getting a bigger engine, or the hydraulic roller lift that was mentioned previously. For me, I think if I were the decision maker, I would find the roller lift of greater value then a winch kit.

It is not a question of all the bells and whistles you want, but what you need vs what you can afford, then add in the wishlist stuff if there is any funding left.

i hear what you saying big dog. but im gonna guess that he didnt walk into the door with 39k in a duffel bag and flip it on the dealers desk and say i cant do anymore than this.

even if you dont ever use it once you still have the option. the winch is like 5 mexicans on a brushpile. that alone saves how ever much you gotta pay them at the end of the day. is that not worth maybe the extra 50 bucks a month onto the payment?

again though i am fired up for him and his new chipper. thats big, new equipment.

(also been on big takedowns where the winch is used to pull the limb from the tree to the chipper without said limb ever touching a blade of grass.)

There has been an awful lot of treework done, including logging, which is ALL big stuff before these "wonderful" inventions came along. It just took more sweat and manpower. This world seems to have an overabundance of people. People need to eat and be productive.

Dave

this was back when a man had to earn his keep and there wasnt any other way of doing things. this is too close to a political conversation though. i dont really like people getting my tax money to live off without working for it.

stay safe.

If you really want to argue the value of machine vs man then leave the chipper in the showroom and hire an army of labourers to cut up the brush and throw it into a horse drawn cart. :)

Or you could just buy a winch with a chipper. :cheers:

I use my winch to roll over a butt log occaisionally on those out of town jobs where the wood stays and its too much trouble to bring the tractor - and oops! forgot the peavy! :censored:!

Pulling trees and butt logs over is another good one.

Flying tops and leaders like OD mentioned all the time.

I guess they are slick for speed line work too, I'm just not a big fan of it.

Oh, and dragging brush and feeding the chipper so I dont have to work like a mexican, another good one.

You've never seen anywhere that I have posted that more equipment is not a good thing. Problem is paying for it. The guy bought a machine for 39K in this economic environment. Good for him! $2500 more was out of his budget and he also knows that he can buy it later as an add on when and if he has the money. That, to me, is smart thinking, not something associated with a meathead. I'll bet he also is married, has a mortgage, maybe kids to feed and pays all the other bills in the household and STILL ventured out to buy new. Thats pretty good, he got what he needed. :clap:

Problem here is when someone who has nothing to worry about other than where his next beer is coming from chimes in like he knows all the ins and out of costs associated with not only a business but also supporting a family. So long as someone else buys the machine, it's definately the way to go! End of the day, he goes home and someone else pays for his toys that make him the happy employee.

When you go out on your own old dirty and have to pay for all the equipment yourself and repair it yourself and support your family yourself and pay your mortgage yourself, call me. Then we can all have the conversation on the same level. Till then, I'll continue to grow my business and might even buy a chipper with a winch someday so I can be a happy worker like you. :bowdown:

You've never seen anywhere that I have posted that more equipment is not a good thing. Problem is paying for it. The guy bought a machine for 39K in this economic environment. Good for him! $2500 more was out of his budget and he also knows that he can buy it later as an add on when and if he has the money. That, to me, is smart thinking, not something associated with a meathead. I'll bet he also is married, has a mortgage, maybe kids to feed and pays all the other bills in the household and STILL ventured out to buy new. Thats pretty good, he got what he needed. :clap:

Problem here is when someone who has nothing to worry about other than where his next beer is coming from chimes in like he knows all the ins and out of costs associated with not only a business but also supporting a family. So long as someone else buys the machine, it's definately the way to go! End of the day, he goes home and someone else pays for his toys that make him the happy employee.

When you go out on your own old dirty and have to pay for all the equipment yourself and repair it yourself and support your family yourself and pay your mortgage yourself, call me. Then we can all have the conversation on the same level. Till then, I'll continue to grow my business and might even buy a chipper with a winch someday so I can be a happy worker like you. :bowdown:

Easy there cape, no need to get frothing at the mouth big guy.

My old chipper didnt come with a winch, so I ordered one from bandit and put it on myself. Started making more money instantly pretty much. So I guess I have to agree with OD, I would have just got it with the winch.

As far as the family and all that: give me a break! if things are really all that tight maybe this dude should have bought used, with a winch. At 70 or 80 bucks a month (three year loan guesstimate), he'll waste that on labor in no time dragging all that brush.

And I agree, good for the OP on the new chipper purchase.

i dont drink.

and ive worked for guys like you cape. and now i work for the best. so you tell me who the better man is to work for?

that whole going out on my own thing. probably not gonna happen. sure i'll continue on doing some side jammies here and there, always will. but when you find somewhere that looks to be heading straight up to the sky you tend to burrow in and enjoy the ride.

the key here is not killing yourself so you end up with a little longevity in your career.

anyway. ive read enough of your posts to know that a conversation on the same level is impossible. i do quality work.

Back